Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 18, 2014, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked in and they kindly upgraded me to a suite. I am guessing it is probably about the size of three standard rooms. There is a short entranceway with a guest toilet to the left and a small closet plus a little room with a wet bar plus (empty) fridge to the right. Then, entering the main sitting room, there is dining table that would seat about 8, and behind it a couch and some cushion chairs facing a HDTV.

The bedroom has a king bed, a desk with a PC, and another HDTV on a cabinet of drawers. There is an adjacent closet as well as a skinny but long bathroom with a toilet, two vanities, a whirlpool tub, and a separate good-sized shower.

The room has been done up quite nicely, outfitted well in an upscale (but not luxury) manner. The carpet is a solid color that right now at night looks like it is light black but it may turn out to be dark blue in daylight. The overall color scheme does appear to be dark blue and cream.

The main negative for me is that the CFL police have been in and placed 6 watt CFL or 130volt incandescents in all the fixtures making the entire room dark and gloomy looking at night. I managed to get them to add two additional lamps, which helped a little. The guy who installed them said new lamps will be coming in a month or so. If only they had ordered LED bulbs instead of CFLs!

I've taken some photos with my phone but so far the FT posting method has defeated me (and anyway, I am a lousy photographer).

The diamond amenity was soft drinks, a bottle of water, and four pieces of fruit,

Overall, I'd say that except for the lighting issues, the renovation is quite nice. No it's not at the PH level but this isn't a PH. It probably is the nicest HR room I've seen, at least at a USA Hyatt. I haven't seen a standard room so can't comment on them.

I'd stay here again (and probably will).
Old May 19, 2014, 9:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good to hear about the renovation. Congrats on the nice upgrade
I stopped staying here many years ago simply because the Regency Club was offering sub-par inferior offerings.
When approaching management they made no effort to make improvements and offered me a discount on my room.
I wasn't looking for a discount on my room but a Hyatt Standard that exists in a wide variety of Hyatt's worldwide
Has the R club improved?
Both the Manchester Grand and the Mission Bay property historically have done a vastly superior job in their Regency Clubs

In 14 years coming to this hotel and a Diamond tier member other than a high floor guest room the hotel never upgraded me ever
As a result tens of thousand's went to Starwood properties and other area Hyatt's through the years.
I did like many of the team members here and was annoyed to have to buy my newspapers in the gift shop as those were limited too.
But my number one pet peeve as a Diamond that killed my business was paying to enter the fitness center
Of course the reason given was its outsourced to an operator. Its no excuse IMHO
So are many Hyatt restaurants and they don't revoke Diamond breakfast benefit
Bunch of ubbish as they say!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Anyone? Also, is the club open on the weekends? Diamond breakfast recently?

I am tempting to stay out here due to the rates and the recent promo rather than burning points, and love being close to the beach.
My emphasis added: The hotel is not close to the beach.

+1 in never having been upgraded (or should that be -1), and ditto for paying for the health club next door (but there was a diamond discount as I recall). Really nice club though. Plus the pool is nice too.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Here now as a plat. Room has not one single drawer or shelf nice room, Regency floor. Mentioned lack of drawers to front desk. Obvious, I was not the first to complain. Housekeeping sent up a little cubby..3 shelf bookcase...
When I say no drawers, I mean. It. Nothing. Not even one for the Bible.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:07 pm

Weird, this suite has a bunch of drawers in the bedroom on the piece of furniture that has the TV on it, although they are close to the floor. That thingie should fit in a standard room, I would think.

Sorry I missed you, MsObscure!!!

Gobal mile hound -- I didn't check the evening offerings carefully but they looked like mostly veggies and cheese. Breakfast is all cold -- didn't see any eggs or hot dishes at all.

So still not overwhelming.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 19, 2014 at 11:18 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Weird, this suite has a bunch of drawers in the bedroom on the piece of furniture that has the TV on it, although they are close to the floor. That thingie should fit in a standard room, I would think.

Sorry I missed you, MsObscure!!!

Gobal mile hound -- I didn't check the evening offerings carefully but they looked like mostly veggies and cheese. Breakfast is all cold -- didn't see any eggs or hot dishes at all.

So still not overwhelming.
Enjoy your stay I am sending my mouse over to nibble on the cheese buffet
sounds like a feast including carrot sticks. You wont have to eat dinner for a week
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:47 am

I have been to this property several times in the last couple of months.
A few observations:
Avoid the Regency Club Floor, 16. This floor was designed to be offices, which is why the windows are so weird and high and don't open. Room is also weird shape.
There is NO hot food available in the Regency Club ever!
Don't do the automatic checkout. Check your bill carefully prior to checking out. Recently, I was charged for 3 days of internet access. (I'm plat).
If planning on staying longer than one night ask front desk to have cubbies put in your closet. There are still no drawers in the rooms.
Check your information book for how to operate TV. The remote control is useless without the written instructions; makes no sense at all.
Avoid eating lunch in the hotel. That restaurant is awful. Instead, walk across the the valet entrance area and eat at Cafe Japengo. Really good and as it is part of the hotel, you can sign check to your room.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I have been to this property several times in the last couple of months.
A few observations:
Avoid the Regency Club Floor, 16. This floor was designed to be offices, which is why the windows are so weird and high and don't open. Room is also weird shape.
There is NO hot food available in the Regency Club ever!
Don't do the automatic checkout. Check your bill carefully prior to checking out. Recently, I was charged for 3 days of internet access. (I'm plat).
If planning on staying longer than one night ask front desk to have cubbies put in your closet. There are still no drawers in the rooms.
Check your information book for how to operate TV. The remote control is useless without the written instructions; makes no sense at all.
Avoid eating lunch in the hotel. That restaurant is awful. Instead, walk across the the valet entrance area and eat at Cafe Japengo. Really good and as it is part of the hotel, you can sign check to your room.
I haven't been back to this hotel in years.
The cost cutting started many years ago and management past and present has little interest in pleasing guests to Hyatt standards.
Both Manchester Grand and even the declining Mission Bay property are superior in their respective club offerings generally.
Having said that the rooms here were always nice enough and as were many of the pleasant team members.
The restaurant had been very disappointing in the past (though anything is better than the club) the stingy Regency Club speaks for itself.
I had no plans to go back or refer guests here. After your review its sealed the deal not to reconsider returning for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:55 pm

Just returned from another stay. Upgraded to Petite Suite. Very nice with a lot of light. Still no drawers in rooms, but cubbies again in closets.
Best of all was the recommendation from a bellman to check out the Happy Hours across the way. Great cocktails and food at 1/2 price at Trulucks and Flemings in the bar between 5 and 7. ^
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:16 pm

I just spent a night here. Don't know if it is just for suites, but there was a note in my room offering free laundry and pressing for up to 12 items per stay. That's quite nice on longer stays!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:28 pm

We're headed to San Diego from Jan 15-20 to take a little break from the Maine winter. We have family in Carlsbad so we know the area reasonably well, and we almost always stay at the PH Aviara because it's close to our relatives and legoland for our daughter (age 2). Anyway, I was thinking about splitting up the stay since we keep saying we never see any of the other San Diego hotels. I take from the recent reviews that we should skip the HR La Jolla?

I was thinking the night of arrival at either the Manchester or Andaz (the 15th is a Thurs, so the Andaz may be too much of a party to have a toddler with us). Then 3 nights at either the HR La Jolla or PH Aviara, and the last night at the Manchester or Andaz, opposite of the first night (the 20th is a Tuesday, the Andaz might be quiet). Would it be wise to do the Aviara, which we know and like, over the HR La Jolla?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:39 pm

Bump. Anybody stayed here recently? Any word on the club lounge or general facilities?

Upgrades received as Diamond?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
I just finished a very nice stay at this hotel. I usually stay at this property 2 or 3 times per year and usually am upgraded to a standard Regency Club Floor room. This trip, I received an upgrade to the Aventine Suite on the 16th floor. The suite described several posts previous sounds like the same room.

The evening Club offering was the usual cracker and cheese assortment with a hummus/vegetable spread. There were warm eggrolls also available. The morning spread included the usual cereal, pastry and bread offerings as well as a warm scrambled egg dish with cheese, tomato and spinach.

I must say that the Diamond recognition was much better than I had experienced here during previous stays, and my overall impression of the hotel was significantly better than it has been over the past 3 or 4 years.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Hey, Trustguy, did you say WARM FOOD!?!

That's it, I'm cancelling my Hawaii trip this summer and splitting my time between here and the new HP in TJ!

Best news since I found a bottle of White Ginger shampoo in my travel case
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Bump. Anybody stayed here recently? Any word on the club lounge or general facilities?

Upgrades received as Diamond?

This is my second-favorite SD area property, second only to the Manchester Hyatt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.