Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:53 am

40% Off*

$159 -- San Antonio: ‘World’s Best Family Hotel’ at 40% Off*

Land a 40% discount on current rates at a Travel + Leisure 2012 World's Best Family Hotel.

For $159 per night through Dec. 29, including weekends, escape to the AAA 4-Diamond Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa. Set on 300 wooded acres near San Antonio, this resort boasts a four-acre water playground, 27-hole championship golf course, full-service spa, kids club and tennis court.

Upgrade to a one-bedroom suite with a private balcony and a separate living room with sofa bed for $70 more per night -- perfect for a getaway with kids in tow.

This upscale resort is one mile from SeaWorld and 15 miles from San Antonio's famed River Walk.

Travelzoo Tip: Pair an overnight stay with our Local Deal for a spa day at this resort -- at nearly 45% off. Click here for more details.

Not available on: Sept. 22, 24; Oct. 2; Nov. 15-18; Dec. 14-20, 23, 28

Note: A $22 daily resort fee includes wired Internet access, as well as use of tennis court, putting green, chipping green and golf bag storage. Rate must be prepaid in full and is non-refundable and non-changeable.

Book by Sept. 21.

Source:http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/texa...0-Off-1311821/

Book online at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
If not automatically populated, enter the special offer code TVL569.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
Just wrapped up a four day stay at the Hyatt Hill Country. The grounds of the resort were lovely, but I must echo others concerns that the property does some brisk business catering to families. We arrived the day after Texas Spring Break ended and undoubtedly would have had a much different stay if the place was overflowing with kids. Renovations were still on-going, though not hugely disruptive except at the spa (see below).

Location is about a 20 minute drive from downtown San Antonio and suited our purposes of needing a few days of R&R just fine. I am not sure I would use it as my base to explore San Antonio. The Adult Pool did not stay strictly adult, but I would imagine that during periods of higher occupancy, the rules would be enforced.

Used Diamond Suite upgrade and rec'd Hill Country Suite. However, upgrade remains in account so I would believe other reports that Diamonds are upgraded when availability. Room was comfortable and included a small mini-fridge. Rec'd $5 discount on resort fee to comp for free Diamond internet.

Despite having been told over the phone that the RC would be open, upon check-in we were informed that the RC was closed and breakfast would be in the SpringHouse Cafe (Buffet or a la carte). Breakfast was adequate and probably better than in the club. Service was excellent. Ate another meal at Antlers Lodge which was fantastic (excellent service, food, wine, etc) definitely worth trying out.

Took advantage of the Windflower Spa which was lovely. However, the renovations on the waterpark area are occurring behind the spa so the lap pool was a bit noisy and not a relaxing retreat.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:41 am

any recent stays?

Hi,
Has anyone stayed here recently? renovations were supposed to be down May 1, and I'm curious what people's impressions are of the changes.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Update Review 7.13

We are wrapping up our annual trip and it looks like the renovations are done. We have been coming here at least once a year since 2000. Staying in a suite on club level.

Flow Rider is a blast. Slide is fun for the kids and Dad.

They added a new restaurant and seating area where the green space was between the old playground and lazy river.

Added new playground in the courtyard area under the trees of the 700/800 wing.

They also added restrooms out by the new area so you don't have trudge back to the spa. General updates throughout the grounds.

Rooms and halls are updated with carpet, paint, furniture, etc,... Overall nice change.

Looks like they updated menu in spring house a bit as well.

Club has new furniture and a smaller tv (smaller than I remember ). They food is about the same, a couple of hot plates for breakfast and snacks.

Fridges still don't keep drinks cold but club is open all day and a nice place to take a break from a room full of women.

Now for the not so good;

Housekeeping is a mess (exaggeration intended for dramatic effect)

I was not offered turn down service at check in but I did find a housekeeper and they supposedly added us to the list. I say supposedly because the only turn down we ever got was one knock on the door the first night asking if we need anything.

So; no turn down service, no toilet paper refills without asking, no soap refills, no toothpaste, etc...

What really irked me is it is customary to replace every dirty towel with a new one. We always get extra towels upon arrival and HK takes them all and returns the room to normal stock of 4. That means dad gets dirty towels to shower with after 3 daughters and wife finish.

I also noticed that although I was offered a paper a checking that NOONE got a paper anywhere in the hotel.

I spoke to manager on duty this am and hoped it would be handled but no such luck. Still no turn down and normal HK was same issues.

I know these are first world problems but I know how this property historically operates and it's frustrating to see it not fire on all cylinders. Kind of feel like one of my kids flunked a test because they didn't study.

We will be back but we will bring our own toilet paper, toothpaste and towels

UPDATE 8/1 - Jakeup in their executive office got right on it when I brought it to his attention. Although nothing changed for us as we were leaving. Historically I have found their exec offices are pretty good about putting out brush fires and would be shocked if this continued to be a problem.

Last edited by Milesbuilder; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm Reason: Cleaned up ipad formating/added hotel response
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
any update on this property? Interested in it due to this close proximity to Seaworld.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:02 am

avoid (at least in early april)

just had a stay 4/10 thru 4/13, pools were filthy and filled with all types of debris so much so that our weekend vacation to sit and relax by the pools ended up being spent in taxis downtown for something to do. areas around the pool were so dirty that if you were barefoot your feet would have ended up black. very disappointing. just to reference, i had friends who stayed at the hotel last summer and they said it was great, i don't know what the problem was but with the club being closed maybe it is very slow season for them and they don't have any staff working the pool? on a side note the rooms were nice and the breakfast offered in lieu of club was very good, just not a place in early april to enjoy anything entertainment wise at the resort itself, especially the pools...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Stayed here two nights last week, short review.

Resort was busy, lots of families as usual. Pool area was pristine, even when busy, the food service was prompt and priced fairly. Adult pool was quiet, lazy river and the new wave rider were very busy.

Antlers was an amazing dinner. Perfect service and wonderful food. Lots of local ingredients, wild game specials and a quality wine list.

If you receive a pre-arrival email from the VIP manager, Kathryn, by all means answer it, she really treated us with a named suite upgrade and hearty welcome.

Club offerings were fine, but basic, as are most RC domestic locations. The $5 cocktails turned out to be very good value.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Planning on staying here again this year to go to Seaworld with the kiddos. Any update on the property?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by devastor
Planning on staying here again this year to go to Seaworld with the kiddos. Any update on the property?
In what respect?

I was there earlier this year. The wave rider is finished - and attracts large crowds. The good news: it means the construction noise associated with those renovations is done. I wouldn't spend the $$ for a cabana - its a great idea but they aren't actually adjacent to any of the pools & b/c they are side by side they get pretty stuffy/hot.

No noticeable difference in food, diamond treatment, etc...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
In what respect?

I was there earlier this year. The wave rider is finished - and attracts large crowds. The good news: it means the construction noise associated with those renovations is done. I wouldn't spend the $$ for a cabana - its a great idea but they aren't actually adjacent to any of the pools & b/c they are side by side they get pretty stuffy/hot.

No noticeable difference in food, diamond treatment, etc...
Are the crowds overwhelming? Have a stay planned in July with the kiddos and may need to rethink if we can't get any peace and quiet.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Are the crowds overwhelming? Have a stay planned in July with the kiddos and may need to rethink if we can't get any peace and quiet.
When they completed the Wave Rider they didn't add more rooms to the property itself. This is a property that runs easily at 80%+ capacity in the summer so it can get very busy.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:33 pm

Hi there, any FTers out there have a contact for the VIP guest manager? I have an upcoming stay in July and would like to make a few requests.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi there, any FTers out there have a contact for the VIP guest manager? I have an upcoming stay in July and would like to make a few requests.
They are really good about reaching out. PM'ing you.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
They are really good about reaching out. PM'ing you.
Thank you kind Sir! Thanks to SPGPLAT as well.

EDIT - quick question to anyone that's been there recently. I was reading on TA that the waverider costs extra? Does anyone know how much it costs and is it per day or per use? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by ZBigFam; Jun 30, 2015 at 9:23 am Reason: added a question
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:00 am

Just an update on this in case others are interested in staying here. I have stayed at the Lost Pines and now the Hill Country, here are how their facilities rank:

Pools - HC (Hill Country) over LP (Lost Pines). The lazy river just seems much longer than the lost pines, plus they have the flow rider (25 bucks for an hour though...ugh).
Regency Club - Lost Pines wins, Hill Country definitely tries hard but they are overwhelmed and their staff just aren't up to par with the Lost Pines staff. Food quality at the Lost Pines is slightly better.
Fitness Center - the Lost Pines' fitness center wins here handily, the fitness center here at the Hill Country is seemingly focused only on cardio with very few free weights or machines.
Internet - OMG internet here at HC is HORRIBLE. UL and DL speed of 1.2mbps!!!! I have a hard time connecting to my work vpn and when I asked about any faster speed they said that this is all they had. When it says on HGP that Diamonds should have premium internet access why is this not adhered to? I have some pretty critical work to do on this vacation and their front desk staff has been not helpful at all.

Overall, if not for the internet issue I would really rate this place favorably the staff are great and the hard product is pretty good (just wish they had a better gym and a faster T1 connection).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.