Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Dearborn Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Left 31 Oct 12-Now Adoba hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dearborn Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Left 31 Oct 12-Now Adoba hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
It is an awful place but I love it like I loved my 1986 Nissan Sentra when it kicked at 350k miles. Great location and easy access to everything. I just checked in today and even asked for a suite upgrade (I've never gotten one and thought I'd ask). Told by the nice clerk they were sld out. A big lie, but okay.

She said that the Hyatt flag would be removed October 31, so still a good place for Mattress runs for a little bit longer.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tashworth
It is an awful place but I love it like I loved my 1986 Nissan Sentra when it kicked at 350k miles. Great location and easy access to everything. I just checked in today and even asked for a suite upgrade (I've never gotten one and thought I'd ask). Told by the nice clerk they were sld out. A big lie, but okay.

She said that the Hyatt flag would be removed October 31, so still a good place for Mattress runs for a little bit longer.
Cant pay me to stay here ever again.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:33 am
Community Director Emerita

The hotel leaves Hyatt management on Oct 31, 2012. Bookings will transfer to the new management company but no Gold Passport benefits will be received for stays.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
On the odd chance that any of you wanted to burn a Stay Certificate here, it is no longer listed among participated properties.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/P...Locations.aspx

And the period after October 31st is looking increasingly fuzzy.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...n-t-found-soon
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have a stay here next week... It is a cheaper rate... Am I going to regret this?. Are things deteriorating quickly?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I have a stay here next week... It is a cheaper rate... Am I going to regret this?. Are things deteriorating quickly?
If you don't need to be in the Dearborn area, I would suggest staying elsewhere. This place is probably the worst Hyatt. I think Hyatt does need a property, and I would welcome one in Downtown Detroit!

The Hilton Garden Inn downtown, charges and arm and a leg. It's a block away from Greek Town, and next to the ballpark!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:59 am

I was there two weeks ago. It's really quite OK. If you can survive without HDTV, you'll be fine. It's not a Park Hyatt, but at less than $100, it's a good value, IMHO...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I was there two weeks ago. It's really quite OK. If you can survive without HDTV, you'll be fine. It's not a Park Hyatt, but at less than $100, it's a good value, IMHO...
I survived Cincinnati HR, so I should be ok
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:39 am

I survived Cincinnati HR, so I should be ok
Dearborn is much worse! I've stayed at both.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
oh wow---what an end of an era.....I recall staying there even bak when the "futuristic" monorail ran to the shopping mall......at one time, wasn't there a Ritz_carlton also in the parking lot of the mall?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Dearborn is much worse! I've stayed at both.
I checked in tonight. I do not see the big issue. Yes it's old and needs a renovation badly, but my room on the 10th floor faces the mall and is on par with Cincinnati. Room is nothing special, but adequate. Lobby is nice and vast. I would not spend over $109 for this hotel, but my corporate rate was fine and I do not feel shafted...

I am generally pretty picky, but maybe my lowered expectations softened the blow

The one thing that bewildered me is that they do not have the check in kiosks. They would have come in handy tonight with the line at the FD.

Diamonds are nothing special here... No upgrade and amenity options were pretty bad. I just went with points....

I hope that Hyatt finds a replacement property in Detroit soon....
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:21 pm

I checked in tonight. I do not see the big issue. Yes it's old and needs a renovation badly, but my room on the 10th floor faces the mall and is on par with Cincinnati. Room is nothing special, but adequate. Lobby is nice and vast. I would not spend over $109 for this hotel, but my corporate rate was fine and I do not feel shafted...

I am generally pretty picky, but maybe my lowered expectations softened the blow

The one thing that bewildered me is that they do not have the check in kiosks. They would have come in handy tonight with the line at the FD.

Diamonds are nothing special here... No upgrade and amenity options were pretty bad. I just went with points....

I hope that Hyatt finds a replacement property in Detroit soon....
Let me guess one agent working only? The bar staff awful, front desk helpful but not enough of them. I've been here on nights when the hotel was completely empty but they still dont give me the bed type reserved.

I really hope for a downtown detroit property.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
This begs the question of whether an operator would find it economically sensible in the metro Detroit marketplace to take on a FS flag that would demand a healthy investment.

The two most noteworthy new hotel announcements in Metro Detroit this year have been an HP (new construction in Novi) and an Aloft, slated as part of the renovated David Whitney building. Despite local media hype of these being "boutique" brands, FTers know better than that.

For a FS Hyatt to emerge downtown, I suspect that an existing FS operating property would have to find its existing affiliation unsatisfactory and thus jump ship. Would the Westin Book Cadillac or Marriott Ren Cen entertain this?

(FWIW, the long-empty Pontchartrain was purchased in March by a Mexican developer, who appears to have the same aversion to investment as the Hyatt Dearborn's Middle East investors; the speculation is that the Pontch aspires to be a a Crowne Plaza.)
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Let me guess one agent working only? The bar staff awful, front desk helpful but not enough of them. I've been here on nights when the hotel was completely empty but they still dont give me the bed type reserved.

Two agents, but they were not speedy and efficient....
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
This begs the question of whether an operator would find it economically sensible in the metro Detroit marketplace to take on a FS flag that would demand a healthy investment.

The two most noteworthy new hotel announcements in Metro Detroit this year have been an HP (new construction in Novi) and an Aloft, slated as part of the renovated David Whitney building. Despite local media hype of these being "boutique" brands, FTers know better than that.

For a FS Hyatt to emerge downtown, I suspect that an existing FS operating property would have to find its existing affiliation unsatisfactory and thus jump ship. Would the Westin Book Cadillac or Marriott Ren Cen entertain this?

(FWIW, the long-empty Pontchartrain was purchased in March by a Mexican developer, who appears to have the same aversion to investment as the Hyatt Dearborn's Middle East investors; the speculation is that the Pontch aspires to be a a Crowne Plaza.)
You read my mind. The Pontchartrain was a good hotel in a fantastic location. Wasnt it a Crown Plaza in the late 90's? It's a big hotel, I think 600 rooms or more, I would love Hyatt to flag this property. It needs some love but it's not that bad. I knew the previous owner and they also had investers in the middle east. They were cheap and never did repair work the correct way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.