Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt St. Louis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (MARRIOTT)

Hyatt St. Louis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (MARRIOTT)

Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Markie
Thanks, as I am doing my 60000 AA run in 2 weeks and staying here one night, this information came just in time.

Anyone know how safe the ride from the airport is in the evening - 10pm'ish?
I think it's pretty similar to the Blue Line (both in clientele and neighborhoods that you go through) in Chicago. I think you'll be fine but do keep your wits about you.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
Distance to convention center

I am planning to attend AALL annual meeting at St. Louis in mid-July. The meeting is hold at American's Center.

Using Google Map, it looks like Hyatt is 1.1 Miles away, not too much for me to walk. But as a former resident of San Francisco's Tenderloin district(or as my mother calls it, Lower Pacific Height), I also know that 1.1 miles can make huge distance. So how "walkable" is the route between Hyatt and American's Center?

Hyatt is not on the convention hotel list. One of my senior peer (who is on the meeting committee) had been jawboning me to use the official housing service.(For the good of association, etc.) Of course, it's easy for him, he is HHonor Diamond, and the Hampton inn is on the list.

If Hyatt is not "walkable," which of the following will be best second option? I am HGP Dia, SPG Gold, HH Silver, not status with Marriot. The list looks dreadful in term of status benefits potential.

Ren Grand Hotel(headquarter hotel)
Ren St. Louis Suites
Hampton Inn-Gateway Arch
Holiday Inn Select Convention Center
Robert Mayfair Wyndham
Drury Inn Convention Center.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOLIS
I am planning to attend AALL annual meeting at St. Louis in mid-July. The meeting is hold at American's Center.

Using Google Map, it looks like Hyatt is 1.1 Miles away, not too much for me to walk. But as a former resident of San Francisco's Tenderloin district(or as my mother calls it, Lower Pacific Height), I also know that 1.1 miles can make huge distance. So how "walkable" is the route between Hyatt and American's Center?

Hyatt is not on the convention hotel list. One of my senior peer (who is on the meeting committee) had been jawboning me to use the official housing service.(For the good of association, etc.) Of course, it's easy for him, he is HHonor Diamond, and the Hampton inn is on the list.

If Hyatt is not "walkable," which of the following will be best second option? I am HGP Dia, SPG Gold, HH Silver, not status with Marriot. The list looks dreadful in term of status benefits potential.

Ren Grand Hotel(headquarter hotel)
Ren St. Louis Suites
Hampton Inn-Gateway Arch
Holiday Inn Select Convention Center
Robert Mayfair Wyndham
Drury Inn Convention Center.
It is a safe & nice enough route to walk if you are up for the hiking. You start on the western edge of downtown & walk into downtown to the convention center. The Renaissance Grand is a very nice hotel & only a few years old. There are some nice new restaurants near the Renaissance Grand. Union Station is a bit more isolated in terms of what's immediately around it.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
I promised a report when I returned - thanks to jayer, Delta Hog, and wheresTWA for their info and suggestions.

I had 2 stays here in April. Took the Metrorail from the Airport to Union Station each time with no problems. Easy connections and short walks on both ends. There is a big difference between the rooms in the historic 1880's side of the hotel which has been renovated and the garden side which was built from the ground up in the mid 1980's. The garden side is actually inside the mall under the roof of the train shed.

Check in was smooth, I got my G2 and 1w bonus and they printed out boarding passes for all my flights. As a Diamond I recieved Regency Club rooms (412 and 327) on the historic side of the hotel. The rooms with windows facing the fountain and downtown have the best views. 412 was on this side, while 327 looked out on the roof of the mall and train shed. Rooms had Grand Beds, high ceilings, windows that opened, and throwback classic decor. I was just down the hall from the Regency Club which was open daily for breakfast and happy hour (weekends included). Breakfast was typical RC fare, evenings had cheese, fruit and raw vegetables with a hot appetizer. Refrigerator with waters and soft drinks was open 24 hours as was the coffee machine.

As stated by others, this is a historic property and the overall feel of the place is different than many Hyatts - I enjoyed it and would return. It reminded me of the Hyatt Printers Row in Chicago which is sadly no longer a hotel. The Union Station lobby and public areas were outstanding and my rooms were very quiet. There are under 200 rooms here so I never felt crowded or rushed. The historic side has about 75 total rooms (about 30 each on floors 3 and 4 with a dozen of floor 5). The rest are on the garden side. All floors and elevators require key access so noise is not an issue.

The Union Station Mall that is connected to the hotel has a food court, Houilihan's, Hooters, and more.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs down

Doesn't seem like anyone has been there in a while (and I can see why!)

Burned two FFN's this past weekend while in town to watch the Cubs beat the Cards. Checked in via the kiosk (was directed there by a bellman), but it couldn't handle the diamond amenity so had to talk to a clerk anyways.

Was pre-blocked on the club floor, down the hall from the lounge. View was of the fountain across the street, but there was a pile of construction debris directly in front of our window on the roof. Room had an adjoining door, but it was one of the quietest rooms I can remember. Couldn't even hear the toilet flush from the bedroom. The only noise that we occasionally heard was the whistle of the bellman below as he flagged down cabs.

The lounge was a joke. Understaffed, dirty dishes were usually piled on tables and supplies were rarely replenished. The lounge didn't seem busy, so it seemed to be a staffing issue. The arrangement of the lounge was odd, too, as the glasses for the OJ were physically located separately from the juice itself. Same with the milk and the cereal. They were making due with small pieces of furniture, but it might be worth investing in a larger serving area. The lounge did have two free internet terminals (iMacs), connected to printers. The letter we got when we checked in promised complimentary water in the lounge 24x7 (in-room Fiji's were $4.50), but the fridge was usually devoid of water.

Other small issues included a dirty glass with our Diamond wine, a concierge who had no maps(?!), and requested turn-down service that no-showed. I flagged down a maid in the hallway for fresh linens, and used the free mac's and google to do our own information gathering.

Our biggest complaint was security related. About 30 minutes after we checked in, someone else walked into our room with their suitcase. All parties were shocked, and the other guest went back down for a new room, but I'm still not sure what happened. We were told it was human-error, but not the details.

I won't be going back there, but the Hyatt quickly compensated us fairly for the issues that we had.

FYI, if you do find yourself in town, be sure to grab dinner at Niche. Amazing prix fix for $35, and reservations are available on OpenTable. It's on Sidney street, about a $12-15 cab ride from the hotel.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Bump

Any recent reports?
Not sounding too promising here.
I take it not to expect the Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The Union Station hotel is leaving the Hyatt family (again ) and becoming a Marriott.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlou...1/daily39.html
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: AGR WOH
From the article: "San Francisco-based Chartres Lodging Group LLC bought the Adam's Mark Hotel at 315 Chestnut St. downtown in May 2007 and announced plans to convert the 910-room hotel to a Hyatt. That hotel is undergoing a $63 million renovation and is being rebranded the Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront."

So, will this thread soon be about the ex-Adam's Mark? It was re-flagged as of April. The Adam's Marks were generally pretty tired 1970s affairs, and this one (the location right under the arch notwithstanding) was no exception.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:12 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by paytonc
So, will this thread soon be about the ex-Adam's Mark?
Nope - that property is already being discussed http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811923 .
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:30 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
HR St. Louis Union Station is now a Marriott

This explains why Hyatt took over the Adam's Mark:

Marriott Returns to Downtown St. Louis
ST. LOUIS, December 17, 2008 - The St. Louis Union Station Marriott officially opened its doors this morning, bringing the luxury Marriott brand name back to downtown St. Louis. Formerly the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at Union Station, the 539-room hotel offers elegant amenities along with great views of downtown St. Louis, the Gateway Arch and Union Station.

"Union Station is a landmark in St. Louis," said Rob Steigerwald, Marriott Executive Vice President-North American Lodging. "We are honored to be a part of both the history this building and the City of St. Louis."

Guest room and suite renovations are already underway across the hotel. More than $20 Million in upgrades, construction and renovation are planned as part of the new Marriott property. Additional specifics on the upgrades will be announced in the first quarter of 2009.

"We are excited to bring Marriott and its prestige back to downtown St. Louis," said Doug Dean, General Manager of the St. Louis Union Station Marriott. "Our guests will already see a difference in the property. We've made upgrades and more are on the way. This hotel has a wonderful history and we look forward to the future, introducing returning guests and new customers to our Marriott."

The St. Louis Union Station Marriott is designed to exceed guest expectations in every way. From the elegant concierge rooms in the original terminal hotel building, to the garden rooms that offer views of the Union Station lake, guests will be treated to the traditional style and impeccable service that has made Marriott a worldwide leader in the hospitality industry.
"The renovation of this wonderful property and addition of Marriott and its first-class amenities gives St. Louis another jewel as we look to attract even more conventions and visitors to our city," said Kitty Ratcliffe, President of the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission. "The St. Louis Union Station Marriott is an icon for the City and convenient for both groups attending conventions and families in town for a game or a fun weekend away."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.