Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Stayed with Mrs JDJ and our 14-month old daughter for 3 nights ending 2-1-09. Upgraded to 3rd floor Marina Suite (no corner suites available). Club was closed - When I mentioned the Diamond Desk told me it was open, they gave me points and food(small fruit and cheese plate) and drink (2 cranberry juice and 50ml of Ketel One), with an apology ^.

Also received cont'l breakfast coupons for Red Marlin, the swanky marina-front restaurant. First day of redeeming, there was some confusion as to what should be included, but after a call to the front desk, and because I had booked the AAA rate, they gave us the full buffet ($21.95 pp value!)^.

Nice room with separate sitting room and sleeping area. Small balcony, with 180-degree view of marina with Point Loma in the distance. Small refrigerator comes in handy for leftovers or supplies from grocery store a few miles away for us budget conscious.

Only negatives were poor water pressure in the shower, and, because the sliding glass door to the balcony received Winter sun from morning til 3 pm, the bedroom was always warm - even with the blackout curtain closed and AC on high. At night, the room cooled right down with the slider open, but we were awakened by seagulls squauking and the occasional sea lion barking. With windows closed, the only bothersome marina noise was the last call for the 7 am sportfishing trip Sunday Morning.
Also, parking seemed excessive ($25 valet, $20 self-park) but didn't argue (company dime ).

Nice grounds with 3 heated pools w/cabanas and a large hot tub. Just not that many people there to enjoy them. Fitness room built out on the marina was nice with bay-view treadmills and machines, but most people seem to be jogging or running the surrounding area. Across the street, a big grassy park area for kids to run around.

100 yards from the Marina suites is a diner called "Sportsmens' Seafood". they have decent fish & chips ($8.75) and GREAT fish tacos ($5.75 for 2 large) made with Fresh Ahi. After my wife spent $7 for a hot dog at Einsteins Bagels on premise, she kicked herself for not going back.

Staff training seems to have been addressed - housekeeping staff greeted with "good morning" or "good afternoon", prompt delivery of corkscrew, extra robe & towels. All in all, a nice trip.

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Feb 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:00 pm

regency club has reopened...

...as of March 6, and I was their 1st customer! Nice pasta salads & cheese selection. Had a "pour your own" honor bar - beer $3; wine & hard stuff $4. Starbucks coffee machine made good hot chocolate - ask for marshmallows on top ^.

Breakfast featured fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt and danish/bread/bagels. 2 computer terminals inside with free web access a printer. 4 small tables on the balcony and a couple inside to enjoy a great view. Still in room 1710.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:19 pm

High floor oceanview - corner not available. It should be noted I had diamond bene's extended to a second room as well, which was adjoining

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Mar 9, 2009 at 11:57 pm
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bbbb
What kind of upgrade did you get?
I was upgraded to an oceanview room on the 17th floor with Lounge access. I also had the choice of a Marina Suite or a Corner Suite.

The lounge was open most of the day. Breakfast was served until 9:30am on weekdays and 10am on weekends. There were light snacks in the evening (5-7pm) but no hot food. The honor bar was open until 8pm. There are no children allowed in the lounge between 5-8pm. They said this was a new policy - since they are serving alcohol, no children are allowed in the lounge.

Overall, I had a good stay and would return. The room was recently renovated and had a great view. The only negative was that the shower had really poor water pressure.

The property charges taxes on award stays.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks everyone for the reviews. Heading there for 2 stays 09/29 & 10/01 (Hope to get half FFN 10/01, fingers crossed). Any recent reviews? Checked with the hotel that water taxi is no longer available after labor day weekend, any other transpotation available to Sea World? TIA.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by happydsa
any other transpotation available to Sea World? TIA.
I can't see a taxi costing more then $5. Sea World is right next to the hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
I sure know about the taxi, but it isn't the fun way to go like the water taxi. Just want to know if the hotel has any other options.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:14 pm

Limited Time special (use grp code 13147) for $129 Marina/Corner suites & $99 rooms mid week and weekends thru 12/30 (book by 11/4/09). Some weekends are requiring 3 nights before LTO rates are bookable. Probably safer to use this than the Travelzoo deal (promo code TVL5) to get points/credit, as the rates look identical for the weekends I checked.

NOTE: rates are prepaid/non-refundable.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Limited Time special (use grp code 13147) for $129 Marina/Corner suites & $99 rooms mid week and weekends thru 12/30 (book by 11/4/09). Some weekends are requiring 3 nights before LTO rates are bookable. Probably safer to use this than the Travelzoo deal (promo code TVL5) to get points/credit, as the rates look identical for the weekends I checked.

NOTE: rates are prepaid/non-refundable.
I emailed GP and called as well to doublecheck...they said TVL5 will not earn points or a stay credit.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:42 pm

Book until 11/4/09 and take advantage of $99 "Limited Time Offer" rate valid until 12/30/09
By using special offer codes referenced from third party websites we revoke stay credit!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
I am going to use a confirmed suite upgrade on an upcoming stay. What type of suite should I ask for?? Which is best view/location??

What type of upgrade shoud I expect just as a Diamond, if I did not use confirmed upgrade?

THX!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:36 pm

I would ask for a Corner King Suite and not using a Diamond Suite Upgrade Award.

Please mind: Premium during this promtion for any suite is $ 25!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
I would ask for a Corner King Suite and not using a Diamond Suite Upgrade Award.

Please mind: Premium during this promtion for any suite is $ 25!
I am actually staying before the promo starts. I called the hotel and they said they should be able to get me into a regency club floor king or a corner room on another floor(with regency club access of course). Is this corner room a "corner suite" as advertised on the hotel's page or just a normal room on a corner?

There are a few waterfront suites listed on the website as well. Would these be better? and would I get one of these if I used my upgrade certificate??
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by musikdude
I am actually staying before the promo starts. I called the hotel and they said they should be able to get me into a regency club floor king or a corner room on another floor(with regency club access of course). Is this corner room a "corner suite" as advertised on the hotel's page or just a normal room on a corner?

There are a few waterfront suites listed on the website as well. Would these be better? and would I get one of these if I used my upgrade certificate??
I am a huge fan of this hotel.They have always gone the extra mile for me when I have requested a particular room or suite if at all possible.
The difference between a suite and a regular room here is marginal IMO
Yes a suite feels a little bit more spacious however the desk takes up most of that extra space.
Of course it also looks visually nicer and it adds a few extra windows to thew room
The good news is you can't go wrong with either the room or the suite here.

What makes both the room and the suites magical here are the terraces with great views.They make the rooms and suites seem more exciting then what they really are.If a suite is really important to you by all means confirm one with your confirmable Diamond GP banked upgrades.If it isn't that important I find the hotel reasonably trustworthy to honor the request if available at the time of check in
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Some Good, Some Bad

I stayed Friday night on a $99 LTO rate. There were good and bad points.

+ I was assigned a bay-facing room on the 17th floor of the tower. The morning view from the terrace was lovely. Really great.

+ The fitness center is a separate building that overlooks the boats in the bay. Plus, the pools are heated.

+ The desk agents were great, and did the work to process Costco certificates on a pre-paid rate.

- Parking was $20 for selfpark and $25 for valet. Mission Bay is far enough from things (except Sea World and the boats) that transit becomes useful.

- The Regency Club was closed again, with a sign until "early 2010."

- The room had only a shower. For some reason, the showerhead was only about 5'7" off the ground. I'm 6'1" and it was about even with my nose. There was no bench in the shower, either. I had to bend my back a little. Someone 6'5" would have real trouble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.