Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does it matter if you mention it's you birthday/honeymoon/anniversary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm just curious to see if anyone every received any special gift (bottle of wine, maybe?) by telling the hotel that it's his/her birthday or honeymoon or anniversary. I'm going to Europe with the wife during our anniversary this summer. Just wonder if it's worth the trouble to mention it in the reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Yes. Depends where.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
yes it does and no it doesn't

Seen:
-upgrades to high category deluxe rooms
-cakes
-wines
-flowers

Also seen:
-nothing done

I believe there is no harm in doing it but expect nothing.

Of course, it was funny when I saw a guy, who was Diamond, get a bunch of flowers for his Birthday.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
...I believe there is no harm in doing it but expect nothing....
Exactly, it doesn't hurt to ask. I can't speak for how Hyatt properties generally react to these requests, but I've received upgraded rooms (Intercontinental, Westin) and other amenities (i.e. bottle of champagne) when contacting properties directly to notify them of special occasions.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I guess I can chime in within a few weeks. About to embark on our honeymoon and its notated in all 5 of my Hyatt reservations. So I'll see if it makes a difference.

But I've already used 3 suite upgrades and expect a diamond amenity so not sure what else they would do...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt, Silver MR and HH, SW A List
Hyatt in Kauai

Had the good fortune of staying at the Hyatt in Kauai for my honeymoon almost 14 years ago - got several extras that I very much appreciated - a special honeymoon mention welcome at the checkin, a small bit of champagne, and a coupon for a drink redemption during our five day stay. Here's hoping you do even better! Safe travels!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
PH Vendome

At the Park Hyatt Vendome, they made a special Chocolate Ganache cake with gold lettering saying "Happy Anniversary", and gave us a very high quality bottle of Champagne. This was in addition to a nice Diamond Amenity, and was way above anything that I expected because all I ever communicated to them was in the "Comments" section of the original reservation where I stated something like, "request quiet room for anniversary."

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Never hurts to mention it ahead of time and again at checkin. My wife's birthday was last week, and I had booked two nights at a Hilton we often visit. Mentioned her birthday during our stay in the comments section of the booking, then again in an email to the hotel the day before. We were welcomed at the front desk by a smiling "happy birthday" when we arrived, and were put in an upgraded room with robes and slippers for both of us, followed later by a knock on the door and a birthday card signed by the front desk staff and a small jar of candied strawberries and blackberries. Later on that day a delivery of chocolate liqueurs and large bottle of Voss carbonated mineralized spring water from Norway and another card from the front desk manager.

Other stays for our anniversary have resulted in chocolate truffles and upgrades at another hotel, and a large chocolate mousse for our anniversary at another over the years.

So don't be afraid to mention the occasions. Sometimes it can make the difference in your stay.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Never hurts to mention it ahead of time and again at checkin. My wife's birthday was last week, and I had booked two nights at a Hilton we often visit. Mentioned her birthday during our stay in the comments section of the booking, then again in an email to the hotel the day before. We were welcomed at the front desk by a smiling "happy birthday" when we arrived, and were put in an upgraded room with robes and slippers for both of us, followed later by a knock on the door and a birthday card signed by the front desk staff and a small jar of candied strawberries and blackberries. Later on that day a delivery of chocolate liqueurs and large bottle of Voss carbonated mineralized spring water from Norway and another card from the front desk manager.

Other stays for our anniversary have resulted in chocolate truffles and upgrades at another hotel, and a large chocolate mousse for our anniversary at another over the years.

So don't be afraid to mention the occasions. Sometimes it can make the difference in your stay.
I would say this happens because of your patronage.

I am always treated well at the hotels I frequent.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

My husband received a small nosegay of flowers when we stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for his birthday. I enjoyed them.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:55 am

Of course, it was funny when I saw a guy, who was Diamond, get a bunch of flowers for his Birthday.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband received a small nosegay of flowers when we stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for his birthday. I enjoyed them.
These are actually the same (venue, event, and "Birthday amenity") .
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I would say this happens because of your patronage.

I am always treated well at the hotels I frequent.
Of course you're correct in your assumption. However my point was that had I not mentioned anything at that hotel or the other properties that we went to for our anniversaries that we hadn't stayed at previously, no recognition of our celebratory events would have happened, nor would any small gifts or upgrades have been offered. So YMMV, but it doesn't hurt to mention the occasion.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
My wife and I received a set of spa products at the Grand Hyatt Kauai's spa when we visted there to celebrate our anniversary this year. Of course we have been visiting that spa each year for seven years and typically scheduled multiple treatments (or a mega-package) on each visit.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
We were on our honeymoon at the Bali Hyatt at the same time it was my wife's birthday. When I made the reservation I checked the honeymoon box and also arranged a dinner on the beach for her birthday. On check-in we were given a box of chocolates for our honeymoon and on her birthday she received a whole chocolate cake delivered to the room.

A few days later at the PH Sydney we received no acknowledgement of being on our honeymoon.

So, YMMV.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Have spent the last 3 wedding anniversaries at Highlands Inn on points.
Year 1 - no acknowledgement
Year 2 - Champagne delivered with a nice note from the manager
Year 3 - Sparking wine delivered

All stays were as a diamond on points (the minumum Cat 6 amount) in shoulder season (October) and were upgraded to suites. Of course, I followed up each stay with a letter to the manager thanking them/staff for the upgrade. Another stay on FFN (non-celebration) I was given ocean view king. So at this property, I have been exceptionally lucky!

Of course, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.