Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by staff
Agree. Lounge can be a zoo at this property. There are plenty of better Hyatt lounges in Asia.

Lounge staff were great at GH Taipei though.
It happens everywhere in Asia. I like when they segregate families in their own lounge area or ban children under 12.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:58 pm

I found the lounge to be one of the worst for breakfast in GH Asia. Very small selection of food and cook behind the window thing was very stingy and slow when ordering. It's better than US lounges but no where near the Japan or China ones.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I don't like the breakfast in the club lounge, but hey there are a tons of great local breakfast spots in Taipei, and they are very cheap and delicious.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:08 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I really don't get the hate for this lounge. IMO, the evening spread is in the top 5 of Hyatts in Asia. Admittedly, the breakfast is weaker (and it's highly unusual to see a better evening than morning spread), but still decent.

We recently stayed here for two nights, and it was my first visit since the remodel. I was extremely impressed by the friendliness of the staff -- really everyone was top notch -- and we received an upgrade to a grand suite. A bit of a weird layout, but pleasant enough space. I'm a big fan of the W, but at 2/3 of the price, the Hyatt is a strong contender!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by olouie
I found the lounge to be one of the worst for breakfast in GH Asia. Very small selection of food and cook behind the window thing was very stingy and slow when ordering. It's better than US lounges but no where near the Japan or China ones.
Do you really think GH Shanghai is better than this one? I for one do not think so.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpdx
I really don't get the hate for this lounge. IMO, the evening spread is in the top 5 of Hyatts in Asia. Admittedly, the breakfast is weaker (and it's highly unusual to see a better evening than morning spread), but still decent
You are right... pretty decent lounge offerings in the evening. My rate includes breakfast in the restaurant so that makes it even better.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Do you really think GH Shanghai is better than this one? I for one do not think so.
Yes, GH Shanghai is way better to me. GH Taipei has a good evening spread, but the breakfast was a big letdown. I guess if you just want the basics its fine, but the service and selection were a let down.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I found the lounge to be one of the worst for breakfast in GH Asia ... no where near the Japan ... ones.
No sure what you found lacking vs GH Tokyo and GH Fukuoka. I'm not saying that the breakfast at GH Taipei is far superior, but I really can't imagine anyone considering it far inferior. Neither of the Japan GHs have a live egg station, and although we have not need for it, I would think some would appreciate it. While I would have liked more fresh fruit and higher quality orange juice, the bakery items at GH Taipei are well above those at either of the Japan GH lounges.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
While I would have liked more fresh fruit....
And it's not as if they didn't have more fresh fruit because they served a decent selection in the evening, they just didn't serve it in the morning as well.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Has anyone found any good dinner restaurants nearby? They destroyed the menu in the GH lobby restaurant which used to have a good Lemon chicken entree.

Please don't say DTF.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:59 am

God I love DTF...and I've never been to the ones in Taiwan.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Yes, GH Shanghai is way better to me. GH Taipei has a good evening spread, but the breakfast was a big letdown. I guess if you just want the basics its fine, but the service and selection were a let down.
Way better? Really?

I can see someone saying it is way better than the US lounges (basic)... but GHS is way better than GHT? Really? I would like to know the metric used for your comparison. And the service was way above what I experienced at GHS. The concierge ladies out front bent over backwards to assist us with our needs, including seeing the hotel nurse and arrange for us to visit a doctor when our son had a fever.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: pleb
Way better? Really?

I can see someone saying it is way better than the US lounges (basic)... but GHS is way better than GHT? Really? I would like to know the metric used for your comparison. And the service was way above what I experienced at GHS. The concierge ladies out front bent over backwards to assist us with our needs, including seeing the hotel nurse and arrange for us to visit a doctor when our son had a fever.
Will agree the concierge ladies at GHT are absolutely amazing. Staying there twice a year, and my family/relatives staying there more often than I, they always take care of us like family. Stellar service from them.

From my experience, their lounge can get very busy depending on the time of the year. I've seen them open up the conference rooms for use outside the lounge during times like CNY. Their breakfast spread isn't to die for, but very acceptable. What I wonder more often than not is, with all the great cheap local food around, why people would complain about the hotel lounge food instead of going out and exploring the local delicacies. For instance Fu Hang Dou Jiang is an amazing Taiwanese breakfast eatery and I'd much rather experience that than stick to hotel lounge offerings. On that note, please don't all start heading to FHDJ now, their morning line is long enough already
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:09 pm

Way better? Really?

I basically had exactly opposite experience for the 3 days I was there so I guess YMMV. Service was absolutely horrible. Wait for the breakfast eggs was 10-15 minutes each day. Chef was very limiting on dim sum items allowed per guest (1 piece of each). Dirty tables left full of plates and other items for a long time. Hard to get anyone's attention. When I mentioned how bad the service was the manager just shrugged and said they were busy.

Evening spread is no comparison - GHS had an amazing evening food spread with seafood, sushi, crab legs and much much more (this was around 2 years ago). I think crab might only have been one night a week, but still really good. Service was also top notch. Plates cleared right away, attendants very prompt and remember what we liked to drink.

Didn't use the concierge too much except to check out so cannot comment on that.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:24 am

GHS had an amazing evening food spread with seafood, sushi, crab legs and much much more (this was around 2 years ago). I think crab might only have been one night a week, but still really good. Service was also top notch. Plates cleared right away, attendants very prompt and remember what we liked to drink.
GHS will never be as busy as GHT given the far superior Hyatts around SH not to mention the one right across the street. Your one stay may have been a fluke but GHT lounge and staff are not the worst in Asia.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Aug 9, 2017 at 10:02 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.