Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 3, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Any recent guests aware of what happened to the waterslide?

*Please be aware that the resort’s lava tube water slide will be out of service for emergency repairs and subsequent enhancements through May 31, 2017. The children’s slide located in our Keiki Lagoon, will remain open
We were there last week and were told it was damaged. The entire tube for the slide had been removed and they were beginning to replace it.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:53 pm
cwc

The lava tub slide up and running. We did 26 times last week
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cwc
The lava tub slide up and running. We did 26 times last week
Only 26?

Thanks for the update. I'll be there next week!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Recently stayed 5 nights with C&P and used a TSU to reserve a Lahaina Suite. We received a nice ocean view unit on the 6th floor, however we also overlooked the luau, and at times it got very noisy. We had intermittent hot water problems which engineering said was due to an issue with a boiler unit. They compensated us by returning most of the points for the stay. Resort and parking fees were waived for being Globalist.

We enjoyed the Regency Club for breakfast and evening appetizers. They would change the hot appetizer each night and had coconut shrimp, lettuce wraps, short ribs, etc. Breakfast was continental with fruit, cereal, breads, and a warm egg dish.

It was nice having access to the pool area at the Hyatt Residence Club Maui next door. Several times we found unoccupied lounge chairs under umbrellas at the Residence Club pool, when the hotel main pool area was crowded. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return to this property.

View from the narrow front balcony

Last edited by Southdown13; Sep 5, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reason: Restore photo
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Thumbs up Overall good stay

Stayed here a few weeks back with the family on Hyatt CC certs for 2 nights and points for the other nights. I couldn't get into the Andaz.

Overall, a good stay. We were upgraded to a Partial Ocean view in the Lahiana tower. Thanks to manager for early check in at 1pm too.

Some observations not mentioned recently for folk going over with kids:
* HR Maui hotel guest get access to the pool and activities at the timeshare. Activity list is a separate piece of paper you have to get from each hotel and put together.
* Kids loved the various activities done across both properties.
* The tennis court were a bit of a hike and looked a bit dirty. We used them 1 day only.
* Hotel key card never worked for the parking lot but they also didn't charge me either for those days. I did tell them each time I had a car each time it didn't work.
* 1 night came in late and couldn't find a spot so I had to valet and he charged me the self park rate and it did bill this time.
* The shaved ice was much better at the Lahaina Front Street location than in the hotel per the kids.

I have stayed the Marriott next door, and the Westin Villas down the street in this part of Maui before and in general I liked the Marriott better but this was a good stay as well. Mrs miles_navigator loved the Hyatt as her best stay in Maui but I think she just loved being back in Maui after a few years.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Some observations not mentioned recently for folk going over with kids:
* HR Maui hotel guest get access to the pool and activities at the timeshare. Activity list is a separate piece of paper you have to get from each hotel and put together.
* Kids loved the various activities done across both properties.
Thanks for sharing this info -- how hard was it to sign up for the daily activities at the timeshare? It looks like you have to sign up day of and that it's a limited number of kids for many of them, so was wondering if you have to sign up early in the day or how that works.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
limiting rooms using points

am interested in using points to stay here from 9/10-14 and it only shows upgraded rooms for 27K pts per night. None were available at the standard 20K. At the same time, there appeared to be plenty of the standard rooms available for cash booking. Is there a way to get around this - can a call to reservations do the trick?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just looked at those dates and all I see available are partial ocean view.

I looked under the "standard rates" tab. That means rack rate, not the base level room available for awards
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just looked at those dates and all I see available are partial ocean view.

I looked under the "standard rates" tab. That means rack rate, not the base level room available for awards
Yep. Base room not available under any rate, so hotel actually offering more than they are required with the Regency Club Partial Ocean View for 27k per night.

Note that the cash rate is $246 for the Partial Ocean View, which means that if the base room were available at 20k per night, it would not be a very good redemption value.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Tour of the Star gets Canceled Half the Time

I forgot to add this to my earlier review. We tried to do the Tour of the Stars and got canceled on 3 nights in a row. I booked our program later into the trip thinking we'd be better adjusted to the jet lag and able to stay up that late.

When talking to concierge she says it gets canceled about half the time. Apparently early evening clouds roll in and they cancel the reservations about 2 hours or so before.

If you are interested in this program (I have no idea if it is worth it) then sign up earlier in your stay in case you get canceled they will automatically roll you over to the next night.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:35 pm

FYI- Beginning with rooms booked for January 1 and beyond they now collect a 2 night deposit (room + tax) at the time of booking (even if booked now). Cancel 7 days in advance.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:41 pm

Room upgrade for Globalist using award stay?

Booking HR Maui for week of March 18.
Expect to be Globalist (with no suite upgrades) by end of 2017 via the 20 qualifying nights promotion for credit card holders.
Thinking about booking using award stay, 20000 points per night.
What type of upgrade would be typical for a Globalist when booking this way?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by barbh2
Booking HR Maui for week of March 18.
Expect to be Globalist (with no suite upgrades) by end of 2017 via the 20 qualifying nights promotion for credit card holders.
Thinking about booking using award stay, 20000 points per night.
What type of upgrade would be typical for a Globalist when booking this way?
All depends upon what is available at the time of check-in. As the Globalist terms indicate, you are eligible for an upgrade up to a standard suite. As a newly minted Globalist going to a resort that gets a lot of Globalist guests, I suspect you'll be upgraded to a partial ocean view or an ocean view, or maybe no upgrade at all if the hotel is full or if there are Lifetime Globalists or Globalists with many nights already YTD who, most likely, will be upgraded ahead of you. Be sure to ask at check-in as some properties are not very pro-active with the upgrades.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Lahaina suite

Just checked in and used a DSU. Rec a Lahaina suite with 2 balconies. Both can see the Luau this evening. But I got something extra from a neighbor who was smoking you know what (maybe from Denver). It was not a pleasant experience for me.

But the suite has a mixture of old and new. I think the furniture is old but the floor and bathroom is definitely new. The wall paper was in good shape. Overall good so far. FD told me the free parking (when using points) applies for both self and valet. We were also encouraged to try the pool at the Hyatt vacation property next door.

Lounge offering was pretty bland this evening - I think the old lounge had better food. No bottle water or sodas. They have cups with lids if you want to take out.

a follow up on water bottles - I just noticed 2 orange cap refillable water bottles in the room. It encourage guest to refill with filtered water near the ice machines. ^^^

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Sep 13, 2017 at 1:38 am Reason: water bottle
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just checked in and used a DSU. Rec a Lahaina suite with 2 balconies. Both can see the Luau this evening. But I got something extra from a neighbor who was smoking you know what (maybe from Denver). It was not a pleasant experience for me.
Call the front desk and report this activity. This is a non-smoking hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.