Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Which Resort did you prefer?

Originally Posted by subdawg
We also just got back from a stay at the Hyatt & Westin. Too bad we missed you thesilb! Already planning our next trip back..
I am considering a stay on Maui with my family. At the time we are thinking of going, the kids would be 3 and 1 1/2....which resort would you suggest.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:50 am

To start off with, I have never stayed at either of these two hotels. I have stayed at the Sheraton and the Marroitt (when it was a full service hotel and as a timeshare property). I am pretty familiar with Kaanapali Beach an d the two hotels that you are asking about. My wife and I would take our nightly walks through these properties.

If I had MY choice between the two, I would stay at the Hyatt. Walking through both hotels, propery, etc. the Hyatt dosen't seem as spread out, cleaner, smells better, better pool area, better looking, etc. These are just MY impressions. If the beach is of a major concern, the beach in front of the Westin is ALOT better than the beach in front of the Hyatt. If you do not mind walking down the beach for a few mintues, it should not be that much of a concern.

Another thing to consider is the room size. From what I have read in here, the rooms at the Westin are smaller than at the Hyatt. I know of a couple who stayed at the Westin and said the rooms where small. If you are paying the same cash, it would make sense to check out room size. Then there is the "resort charge" and charging for parking (other than valet). $15 to $20 a day for the "resort fee" might not sound like much, but couple that with $7 to $12 for parking per night, you could drop over $200 extra for a weeks stay. I am sure that the Westin charges a "resort fee" because they are part of the Starwood program. I did read somewhere that the Hyatt does not charge for self parking or that silly "resort fee".

These are just some of my observations. Remember, I have never stayed at either property. Either way, you will have a tremendous time on Maui. I can't wait for 2007. If you are on Maui during Whale season, do yourself and your family a favor, do a whale watch. I recommend the Pacific Whale Foundation. They is just so much to do. But the biggest thing I would recommend is to immerse in the culture. It is a GREAT culture.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:44 am

Can't speak for the Westin, we stayed at the Hyatt in November for 7 days and brought out 3 kids - 4, 2, and 6mos. The kids had a blast at the kiddie pool which is directly adjacent to the main pool. It is a shallow 1 1/2 ft round pool with a kiddie waterslide that your older one will enjoy. We tried going to a different beach each day but the kids just looked forward to coming back to the hotel pool.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I have stayed at both hotels. The clear choice in my opinion is Hyatt. westin has a great fantasy pool with slide, but Hyatt's fantasy pool with kiddie area and slide is frankly better. and the Hyatt is on so many more acres, its just a nicer property all around.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Looks like most people prefer the Hyatt....better buck up the ole Gold Passport account if I'm going to stay here!
Any experience on Diamond treatment/upgrades?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Looks like most people prefer the Hyatt....better buck up the ole Gold Passport account if I'm going to stay here!

If the RC floors are full theres a good chance you will not get access. The last three times I stayed (all on FFNs) I got RC access once and full ocean view all three times. Swan court breakfast certs are given if no RC access.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
In our last 6 trips we've gotten deluxe ocean view every time (all trips on FFN or points).

Last weekend, we got full (not continental) breakfast certs AND regency club access. This was on the high side of usual, but you can always count on a nice room and some sort of breakfast.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:43 pm

I am considering a stay on Maui with my family. At the time we are thinking of going, the kids would be 3 and 1 1/2....which resort would you suggest.
I would probably go for the Hyatt, but not really for the reasons mentioned above. Hyatt is a better deal, since it costs 15k GP points (which is what we used) versus Westin's 12K-16K points, since they just up'd it to a cat 5. Since it's much harder to earn spg points, value-wise, Hyatt is better. I have stayed at both properties 2x and both times, Westin upgraded us to SUPER nice suites. The first time was our honeymoon where we rec'd a huge suite with dining table, living area, etc. Most recently, we received a smaller suite, but still pretty nice oceanfront with 3 side lanais (separate bedroom). Now, or course, this cannot always be expected. The Hyatt did not give us that great of a room this past time...I had to beg for a PARTIAL oceanview room, but was given RC access. The partial view room we got was in the Smoking section, which we didn't want either. It was in another tower even, so it made the RC a bit further to get to.

As far as the pools, we liked the Westin better, just b/c the slide was more fun. However, seemed as if the Westin had more kids. The Hyatt only has 1 hot tub too.

The spa at the Westin is pretty nice...free access for Platinums. At the Hyatt, even Diamonds don't get in for free.

Of course, the Hyatt had a decent RC, and it's always nice to have the option of snacks, breakfast, etc. Westin gave the standard $10 F&B credit, free movie, etc.

So, value-wise, I would probably go for the Hyatt, but we probably enjoyed our stay at the Westin more.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subdawg
I would probably go for the Hyatt, but not really for the reasons mentioned above. Hyatt is a better deal, since it costs 15k GP points (which is what we used) versus Westin's 12K-16K points, since they just up'd it to a cat 5. Since it's much harder to earn spg points, value-wise, Hyatt is better. I have stayed at both properties 2x and both times, Westin upgraded us to SUPER nice suites. The first time was our honeymoon where we rec'd a huge suite with dining table, living area, etc. Most recently, we received a smaller suite, but still pretty nice oceanfront with 3 side lanais (separate bedroom). Now, or course, this cannot always be expected. The Hyatt did not give us that great of a room this past time...I had to beg for a PARTIAL oceanview room, but was given RC access. The partial view room we got was in the Smoking section, which we didn't want either. It was in another tower even, so it made the RC a bit further to get to.

As far as the pools, we liked the Westin better, just b/c the slide was more fun. However, seemed as if the Westin had more kids. The Hyatt only has 1 hot tub too.

The spa at the Westin is pretty nice...free access for Platinums. At the Hyatt, even Diamonds don't get in for free.

Of course, the Hyatt had a decent RC, and it's always nice to have the option of snacks, breakfast, etc. Westin gave the standard $10 F&B credit, free movie, etc.

So, value-wise, I would probably go for the Hyatt, but we probably enjoyed our stay at the Westin more.
Thanks for the feedback...sounds like your experiences at the Westin are better, but the value at the Hyatt is better. When traveling with kids, I typically pay the extra points and reserve a suite...then the Westin would probably be a comparable value (13,500-17,500 for Westin vs. 23,000 for Hyatt).
Does the westin have a club lounge? and if so, do you get access to it as a platinum?

Subdawg, I also wanted to ask if you had a home? :-) You are top tier in virtually every category....WOW, you must travel a TON!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback...sounds like your experiences at the Westin are better, but the value at the Hyatt is better. When traveling with kids, I typically pay the extra points and reserve a suite...then the Westin would probably be a comparable value (13,500-17,500 for Westin vs. 23,000 for Hyatt).
Does the westin have a club lounge? and if so, do you get access to it as a platinum?

Subdawg, I also wanted to ask if you had a home? :-) You are top tier in virtually every category....WOW, you must travel a TON!
bdstone - Unfortunately Westin doesn't have a club lounge, or else that would be a great deal!

ha, my husband & I have unfortunately been traveling 100% for the last 5 years...starting to slow it down & find local jobs soon (aka no more perks!).
Old May 19, 2006, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hyatt Maui Bed Info

I've been raving about the beds on the regency club floor in Maui for at least 2 years. It had to be the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

They have a card on the nightstand with the bed information but I never wrote it down. I called today to as for it & thought I'd share.

Simmons Beautyrest Felicity Pillow Top World Class
model number: M09409

Bedding information: wwwl.linens9.com
This company seems to supply several different hotels with bedding

I tried to get info about the bed from the Simmons website. They don't really list model names because each seller is assigned a different name .

I sent an email to Simmons asking them for the names used for this bed by different stores. Let's see if I hear anything back. I don't trust a store like sleepy's to sell me the same bed as what I ask for (the Felicity).

BTW - I do not think this is the new grand bed. I went to Maui at the end of 2003 - before the grand beds were announced.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:03 pm

Maui bed vs Grand bed..Haven't been to Maui but we love the new Grand Beds.
The info I dug up was that it is a Sealy Grand Bed Plus Pillowtop, 720 posturpedic series.
It is good to have the phone # for direct purchase. Now if they would only set it up and haul away the old!
Bob
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:55 am

I agree that the Maui beds are the most comfortable even when compared to other Hyatt beds. I just slept on a Princeville king and compared with the Hyatt Maui beds it too was like a concrete floor.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: nwa worldperks
Honeymoon @ Hyatt Maui

My Hawaiian honeymoon is set for June 27 - July 6. This trip was booked through a travel agent, and is already paid in full. The first 3 nights will be on Oahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and I'll be staying on Maui for the last 6 nights at the Hyatt in an Ocean Front Room.

I'm already a gold member in the Hilton HHonors program, so I'm sure I'll be able to get some upgrades on Oahu. However, I'm only a base Gold Passport member....so I can't expect to get any free upgrades. Since it's my honeymoon, do you think I'd be able to get any upgrades? Does anyone have any previous experience witha situation like? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance - I'm really trying to make this trip a memorable one!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Since this is your Honeymoon you may want to reiterate the fact that a room with 1 Bed is your preference (I'm guessing ) - we were checking in last year and a newleywed couple was having a fit, since they just arrived and were having to check in to a room with two beds - they were actually trying to find another property to stay at. I felt kind of sorry for them, but not sorry enough to give up my Regency Club Oceanfront King Bed room, since even after three years we still like to "Honeymoon"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.