Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Then you will get at least that, which is pretty nice.

Why all the fuss in advance then about getting a standard room, just check-in and see what they have for you. Upgrades are also dependent on availability (and things like how many other regulars and Globs will be upgraded) so there's never a guarantee.

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 13, 2017 at 1:32 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: QF P1, VA Velocity, Etihad P, IHG SPE Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RTW1
Then you will get at least that, which is pretty nice.
I don't agree ...I think they are just barely passable rooms for the price particularly the size which is very tight.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Even more than wishful thinking more a pie in the sky fantasy dream
I haven't heard of anyone being upgraded to a suite here in over a decade
I can confirm that you can be upgraded (quite easily it's happened 3 times to me out of 5) BETWEEN suites (Quay to Opera twice and Quay to Rooftop once) but I've never been upgraded from a Opera deluxe to a suite.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Always book base rooms here

3x-opera deluxe
5x-opera
1x-city view (cc award)
1x-single night rooftop (paid supplement day before move)

Expect a opera king if the occupancy isn't maximum . Deluxe are hit or miss. Suites won't happen (deluxe is basically a jr suite) without a supplement.

I was able to get a opera deluxe and opera view adjoining one time with 2 standard c&p reservations.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:49 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It always depend on occupancy.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by footastic
Always book base rooms here

3x-opera deluxe
5x-opera
1x-city view (cc award)
1x-single night rooftop (paid supplement day before move)

Expect a opera king if the occupancy isn't maximum . Deluxe are hit or miss. Suites won't happen (deluxe is basically a jr suite) without a supplement.

I was able to get a opera deluxe and opera view adjoining one time with 2 standard c&p reservations.
That's a pretty good result .... I've never booked an award stay here and always had Quay suite booked (if I'm not paying) or Opera Deluxe (if I'm paying) but I'm thinking it's worth risking it if that's been your hitrate.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Considering booking an 8-night stay on P&C for 1st week of Nov, but a bit worried about actually only getting the Park King with no upgrade. Would anyone be kind enough to speculate on the chances of that? We would not be that bothered with only getting a City Harbour, while of course hoping for a Park Deluxe, but we really do want a balcony.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think an 8 night upgrade might be tough to get, but who knows.... lots of small balconies as well where there's only room for 1.
But since you are at least providing a decent amount of revenue I would hope your chances are better than on just points.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I think an 8 night upgrade might be tough to get, but who knows.... lots of small balconies as well where there's only room for 1.
But since you are at least providing a decent amount of revenue I would hope your chances are better than on just points.
That does not sound very encouraging. The Park King sounds like a pretty dreary room. Even though the P&C rate is a good deal less than the standard rate, since I always end up buying pts at the 40% bonus sale in order to use these P&C rates, the end cost is at the very top of our budget. Maybe it would be best to split the reservation into 2 (2 nights & 6 nights considering the 48 hr cancellation) and double-book at the HR, then move there if we don't like the room at the PH.

We stayed at the PH twice way back in 2001 before the renovations and really liked the area, but the rates then were no higher than similar properties in much less desirable locations.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:14 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Considering booking an 8-night stay on P&C for 1st week of Nov, but a bit worried about actually only getting the Park King with no upgrade. Would anyone be kind enough to speculate on the chances of that? We would not be that bothered with only getting a City Harbour, while of course hoping for a Park Deluxe, but we really do want a balcony.
Summer + Cruise ship season. The hotel will be busy but unless 100% you might be ok. Unfortunately the length of stay will work against you.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Do all cruise ships berthed at the Overseas Passenger Terminal obstruct all views from the hotel?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by danger
Do all cruise ships berthed at the Overseas Passenger Terminal obstruct all views from the hotel?
No. Only the large ones and only if you are on the far right of the property (closer to Circular Quay).

I posted a spreadsheet that will tell you when ships are in dock.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by m0hamed
No. Only the large ones and only if you are on the far right of the property (closer to Circular Quay).

I posted a spreadsheet that will tell you when ships are in dock.
Thanks for that. I have two Royal Carribeans and a Holland America berthed ovr the three days of my two night stay at the end of January. I've no idea how bit they are, though.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:02 am

I think I'll start looking at the HR for our entire stay. As I said, with purchasing the points to get P&C, the rate is at the very top end of our budget and I don't think we want to take the risk of getting a crappy room and be really disappointed. After reading through the past 30 pages or so of this thread it does not seem that we could count on the PH for much of an upgrade even if a room was available.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
That does not sound very encouraging. The Park King sounds like a pretty dreary room.
I expect your 8 night stay might work against you... but you never know.

The basic room isn't that bad (I never had the dreaded room at the back), I had it once and was upgrade the next day. But it is an expensive property, especially if you bought the points. Not sure if it's worth it for the basic room.... But then again, the location of the HR isn't that great either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.