Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Seems like i should avoid this hotel until next year (before my diamond status expires in feb 2018).

The rate is also ridiculous for a soft opening hotel.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Econ1
The PH Busan and Conrad Seoul do this as well, it was unbearable. PH Busan suggested we keep the blinds closed. Odd suggestion considering we were upgraded to a room with a view
Really? They reduce and centrally control AC during the days? I've kept my suites nice and cool at PH Busan but even the full AC at 18 degrees can't compensate for the full sun off the sea in the Executive suites bedrooms. It's simply too much sun.

3. While you can control the temperature in your room on the AC, they do turn it down centrally at night - so if you like it cold - you will be disappointed.
Hyatt flagships are getting ridiculous these days. I would freak out if I set it to my desired temperature and woke up sweating because they turned it down.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 1, 2017 at 7:03 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by xray
Stayed two nights on layover at the PH BKK. I don't think I'll be returning. The room is tiny and they turn down the A/C at night which is more than annoying in hot, humid Bangkok. This was a Guest of Honor points booking (mainly to see if benefits were extended). There was no upgrade from a Park King (they stated there are only 5 suites although a Deluxe Corner would have been appreciated). The breakfast was alright but significantly lacking in comparison to the Pen which is our other comparison point.

Architecturally, it was quite interesting with art features and a beautiful infinity edge pool.

We used the BMW 7 airport transfer three times (!) and it was prompt and comfortable.

Front desk service was helpful and professional. Restaurant service warm although not detail oriented. Many new staff were still being orientated.

I found the river view location of the Pen more scenic although we did take the BTS which was convenient. The attached Central Embassy mall is lovely to walk around (and directly attached). The top floor Open House space is beautiful and Eathai in the basement has some neat outlets.

Anyhow, the tiny room makes this a no-go for me and I'll go back to the Pen next time. As far as Asian PH comparisons, PH Busan, Seoul and Shanghai were better than this one.
Turning down the air con at night is unacceptable but especially at a top end hotel. Had this experience at the Shangri-la Wuhan when, after waking up in a sweat at 4 am, called to ask them to turn it back up. They told me they could not as it was centrally controlled. When I checked out, they agreed to credit one nights stay as compensation. No reason to accept this from any hotel.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I can confirm that when I woke up in the middle of the night, the room was rather warm, despite my putting the AC at 18 degrees. I was sweating. I was very tired, so I was able to go back to sleep, but had I not been tired, it would have been way too hot to sleep.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Depends how they come up with the measurements. Some properties can be very creative.
Exactly... it is also how they use the space as well. You can't go by the square footage alone. I wouldn't book the entry rooms unless I were travelling alone or never in the room.

Only five suites ready at the current time according to the front desk staff (YMMV). I was disappointed at the lack of upgrade but as it was a layover, I didn't worry about it as much.

As for the air conditioning, it is not centrally controlled during the day but there is obviously a difference between the efficiency of the cooling at night vs during the daytime. Some who are better versed in HVAC may have more to add but I believe this is a cost-saving measure (or eco-green feature). I like cold temperatures especially when I sleep so that is a personal annoyance.
​​​​​​
Try the PH BKK and you may or may not be affected by the points I have raised... I also stayed at PH NY and PH Vienna when they both first opened so I am aware of growing pains but it's not a given that they be such that I would rather not return. stayed at MO Milan in the first month and it was amazing...

Last edited by xray; Jul 2, 2017 at 1:26 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:30 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The air con is a deal breaker for me.

What did the hotel say when you complained? Could they do anything or not?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed

The hotel must be out of their mind to force it on luxury travelers. It's not a $10 guest house with a mosquito net and a fan.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Not for me. At least for now.

I arrived into BKK late and decided to be conservative getting a taxi. What a pain. I had a mini convention of three taxi drivers with non of them showing me any confidence in their faces about getting me to the PH. That's with google maps on my phone and pic of the complex tower. Onto Uber. Six minute estimated pick up time which that car cxld and I was assigned a 21 minute pick up time. Then when I get to the PH the MOD tells me they have a taxi card. Post the stupid card online like the HR TST. Really dumb.

Knew not all floors ready but to just read only five suites available. Talk about a soft opening. And yes the rate for BKK is too high. I was in contact with the Hotel so knew upgraded to corner king. The finishings are nice. Thirty three channels on the tv is not going to work for a intl hotel. And the tv remote makes no sense.

No information on Globalist breakfast options. Had to call down and they said I could take it in room but heard hesitation in his voice. Invited to reception but gave the card back to MOD. I look forward to exploring the Hotel and complex but at this rate more than happy to return back Conrad where they have a Club lounge. Lounge makes a difference for me. Will probably move over there tomorrow. Wifi seems slow.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed

The first night, my husband complained about the temperature. I misconnected so didn't arrive to hotel until 7 am. The second night, I felt the lack of A/C for myself so really didn't have a chance to complain for them to rectify the situation as we were leaving that afternoon. I did make a comment about the small room upon arrival and asked to be put on a priority list for upgrade. I received a No go message from the assistant manager the following evening.

Anyhow, there are better choices in Bangkok for less money. Therefore, if you want to charge top drawer prices (for BKK), then you had better provide a top drawer product. Anyhow, at least I tried it out for myself.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I am only able to book a twin room for 9000 ++ thb per night. Worth it?
I see that you are there now but I would have replied No if I had seen your post earlier...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Correct. It's not worth it. I had the Conrad held for 3200 bht but wanted to try the PH at least once for myself. The room temp was very high during my check-in and I immediately turned it down. So cold in the end shut the system down to sleep.

There is street noise. When you want to sleep it is evident and I closed the drapes. Even with the sheers and drapes closed the noise woke me this morning at 6 AM. Less than four hours sleep.

If this Hotel is one month old it's gonna show wear. I can tell you a brunette women occupied this room prior and some of the furniture such as desk chair / mini bar furniture enclosure show nicks. I am hoping the overall complex wins me. Now I can hear the BTS. Onward!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
Really? They reduce and centrally control AC during the days? I've kept my suites nice and cool at PH Busan but even the full AC at 18 degrees can't compensate for the full sun off the sea in the Executive suites bedrooms. It's simply too much sun.

Hyatt flagships are getting ridiculous these days. I would freak out if I set it to my desired temperature and woke up sweating because they turned it down.
EDIT (This pertains to the PH BUSAN): the room was around 75-80 degress when we checked in at midnight, during the day we shouldnt have to keep blackout curtains closed in a five star hotel. noticed a tripadvisor review said that they were told by the manager that the hotel reduced the ac centrally as the hotel wasnt busy

Last edited by Econ1; Jul 2, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is street noise. When you want to sleep it is evident and I closed the drapes. Even with the sheers and drapes closed the noise woke me this morning at 6 AM. Less than four hours sleep.

If this Hotel is one month old it's gonna show wear. I can tell you a brunette women occupied this room prior and some of the furniture such as desk chair / mini bar furniture enclosure show nicks. I am hoping the overall complex wins me. Now I can hear the BTS. Onward!
Yikes. That means housekeeping didn't do a good job. I'm sure soundproofing is expensive but BKK is a noisy city and they should have done a better job with the windows.

Did you use the pool yet? was it busy for the weekend?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Econ1
the room was around 75-80 degress when we checked in at midnight, during the day we shouldnt have to keep blackout curtains closed in a five star hotel. noticed a tripadvisor review said that they were told by the manager that the hotel reduced the ac centrally as the hotel wasnt busy
this is PH Busan or Bangkok?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow. I've stayed in a bunch of Bangkok properties and have never had an issue with street noise, including the Erawan where many rooms overlook BTS.

Certainly doesn't speak well of the construction quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.