Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
฿2,500 is actually on the lower end of what comparable hotels normally charge for this service. The range of ฿2,500~฿3,500 is the going rate.

If one does not value or need the added level of service at the hotel upon arrival and departure that is associated with a hotel car transfer, services such as AOT can provide simple transportation in premium vehicle types for around half that price, possibly less.

I almost always opt for hotel car transfers in BKK. While it is not technically guaranteed, using hotel cars unofficially virtually guarantees immediate in room check even if arriving early, and similarly complimentary late check out at the time of departure in the evening. It also can often bring your arrival to the attention of duty management and therefore improve room allocation and help with upgrades. I've literally never not had uninterrupted access to my room or suite at any good hotel, from arrival until departure, when using this service. It's also pretty cool that if arriving in F on TG, one does not need to carry luggage an inch, TG porters hand the luggage directly to the airport representative of your hotel.
3,400 is a bit steep, especially if you factor in the tips. Do you tip, and if so how much? I generally tip, the TG F porter 100, the Airport Rep who takes you to the hotel limo 100, and the driver 200. I also tip the bellman 100 at least. I know a lot of people don't tip rationalizing that the hotel charges a service charge and that the limo rate already includes the tip.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
฿2,500 is actually on the lower end of what comparable hotels normally charge for this service. The range of ฿2,500~฿3,500 is the going rate.

If one does not value or need the added level of service at the hotel upon arrival and departure that is associated with a hotel car transfer, services such as AOT can provide simple transportation in premium vehicle types for around half that price, possibly less.

I almost always opt for hotel car transfers in BKK. While it is not technically guaranteed, using hotel cars unofficially virtually guarantees immediate in room check even if arriving early, and similarly complimentary late check out at the time of departure in the evening. It also can often bring your arrival to the attention of duty management and therefore improve room allocation and help with upgrades. I've literally never not had uninterrupted access to my room or suite at any good hotel, from arrival until departure, when using this service. It's also pretty cool that if arriving in F on TG, one does not need to carry luggage an inch, TG porters hand the luggage directly to the airport representative of your hotel.
For me, this is a big argument in favor of using the hotel's car service. For the actual ride, often the price isn't competitive, although if you're not familiar with the airport and city, it can be nice to have the car service already arranged when you arrive exhausted.

BTW, I learned this trick almost by accident when an assistant manager met me as I was exiting the vehicle sent to fetch me at the (old) airport by the Peninsula during my first visit to Hong Kong. My smart and protective travel agent at the time highly recommended the car service and it wa fun to be treated almost like royalty upon arrival.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
3,400 is a bit steep, especially if you factor in the tips. Do you tip, and if so how much? I generally tip, the TG F porter 100, the Airport Rep who takes you to the hotel limo 100, and the driver 200. I also tip the bellman 100 at least. I know a lot of people don't tip rationalizing that the hotel charges a service charge and that the limo rate already includes the tip.
You can tip at your discretion. I always tip the TG porters ans the bell staff. I usually do not tip the driver or airport rep, because that I feel is covered by the price of the service and the associated service charge. In Thailand, locals do not always tip for every little thing, i.e. someone just doing the minimum requirements of his/her job. But, if someone gives you great service with a genuine smile, then I'm all for giving a nice tip to brighten up someone's day. I tip housekeeping generously. They return the gesture by making my room or suite pristine. They are so often unappreciated and insufficiently tipped because they come and go invisibly when guests are away.

In short Thailand is neither like Japan (where there is basically no tipping) nor like North American (where tipping is absolutely expected even for mediocre service). In Thailand you are not required or necessarily expected to tip, but you should do so for very good service. And it will come back to you and result in even better service. But there's no need to get carried away. Do it at your discretion, when and where you feel it's appropriate.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For me, this is a big argument in favor of using the hotel's car service. For the actual ride, often the price isn't competitive, although if you're not familiar with the airport and city, it can be nice to have the car service already arranged when you arrive exhausted.

BTW, I learned this trick almost by accident when an assistant manager met me as I was exiting the vehicle sent to fetch me at the (old) airport by the Peninsula during my first visit to Hong Kong. My smart and protective travel agent at the time highly recommended the car service and it wa fun to be treated almost like royalty upon arrival.
I swear by it. It's a no brainer for me in Thailand and other countries where you get such great service for a reasonable price. In expensive cities like Tokyo or in the west, it's less of a good deal and I only do it occasionally.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:15 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Agree with all of the above. In countries where I speak the language I hear the driver 100% of the time call the duty manager 5 mins prior to arrival to alert them that we are close.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jphripjah
If the pope can ride around in a 2008 Ford Focus I can take a public taxi to my Bangkok hotel for $12-$13.
Motel 6?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If the pope can ride around in a 2008 Ford Focus I can take a public taxi to my Bangkok hotel for $12-$13.
You can get to the PH for 60 Baht ( USD 1.75) by using the Airport City Link and then transferring to BTS. When it first started it wasn't too bad but the service has declined, both in respect of frequency and the quality of the experience.
I used to take it in bad weather situations , on hand carry only trips. Now it has become very crowded and uncomfortable and no longer a viable option for me.
I use a car service : AOT is now around 1100 to lower Sukhumvit . I prefer to use SP Limousine @ 950 ( Camry or Teeana). Extremely reliable, very good drivers. I've used them at least 30 or 40 times in and out. Using a taxi is just not worth the hassle ( rogue and lunatic drivers, underpowered aircon, limited luggage space, possibility of "hot" meter).
Old May 27, 2017, 9:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
One can also pair Meet & Assist (booked directly here https://www.bangkokflightservices.co...port-services/ ) with an AOT limousine as a cheaper alternative.

Last edited by m0hamed; May 28, 2017 at 1:46 am
Old May 28, 2017, 12:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Reviews of the property please? :-).
Old May 28, 2017, 12:18 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by RTW1
Reviews of the property please? :-).
There are a few on TA...
Old May 28, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
One can also pair Meet & Assist with an AOT limousine as a cheaper alternative.
And if one is already Diamond - sorry a "Glob" now I guess - and therefore getting vip arrival anyway, AOT can be a good choice. Especially if arriving/departing within normal check in and check out time ranges.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:25 am

I'm here now. First impressions are pretty good. C&P stay, got what I believe is Grande Exec Deluxe....large corner room ( rounded corner) overlooking Sukhumvit and across towards the Plaza Athenee ( 18 th floor).
Room has entrance foyer with console table, through a recessed sliding door to a work area with desk, mini bar with espresso maker; through glass room dividers ( decorated with impressionistic temple scenes) to sleeping and sitting area ( king bed, large sofa, tub chair, occasional tables). Large tv on a moving stand. Remote controlled blackout blinds, sheer curtains.
Bathroom has 2 sinks, separate toilet, freestanding Italian looking tub, walk in shower. Bergamote 22 toiletries. WIC has lots of hanging and drawer space Bathroom is marble, remiscent of but different from PH Vienna. Contrary to Loyalty Lobby review, toilet paper can indeed be flushed ( and NOT to be placed in the bin in the toilet).
The place has that very new smell...a hint of glue in places. Wood ( vinyl composite)floors
It's nice: fans of St Regis would not be disappointed here....and it's a significant step up from club Rooms at the GH Erawan ( but no lounge here and very significantly more expensive).
I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm Glob.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by paolo64
I'm here now. First impressions are pretty good. C&P stay, got what I believe is Grande Exec Deluxe....large corner room ( rounded corner) overlooking Sukhumvit and across towards the Plaza Athenee ( 18 th floor).
Room has entrance foyer with console table, through a recessed sliding door to a work area with desk, mini bar with espresso maker; through glass room dividers ( decorated with impressionistic temple scenes) to sleeping and sitting area ( king bed, large sofa, tub chair, occasional tables). Large tv on a moving stand. Remote controlled blackout blinds, sheer curtains.
Bathroom has 2 sinks, separate toilet, freestanding Italian looking tub, walk in shower. Bergamote 22 toiletries. WIC has lots of hanging and drawer space Bathroom is marble, remiscent of but different from PH Vienna. Contrary to Loyalty Lobby review, toilet paper can indeed be flushed ( and NOT to be placed in the bin in the toilet).
The place has that very new smell...a hint of glue in places. Wood ( vinyl composite)floors
It's nice: fans of St Regis would not be disappointed here....and it's a significant step up from club Rooms at the GH Erawan ( but no lounge here and very significantly more expensive).
I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm Glob.
Will you be ordering off the special Glob menu?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Will you be ordering off the special Glob menu?
I'm waiting for the first report from a Globalist who asks (politely, of course), "may I please see the full breakfast menu?"
Old May 28, 2017, 5:21 pm

I will ask for the full menu on the 5th so I'll let you know.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Stayed there last weekend. Booked a Park Suite and received one. Greeted as a Lifetime member but than that was it: Suite was not ready when I checked in at 16.30. No in-room check-in offered either. First time I received a welcome card with no name or signature. Couple of other service hick-ups but then it's soft opening.

Hotel will take 12 months to open all rooms: they are going from the bottom to the top and plan to release one floor a month. Specialty suites might only be open very late this year including the Presidential Suite.

The hotel features a very contemporary design with lots of flaws in built quality: sliding doors in my suite were cheap and noisy: opening them without waking anyone up at night impossible. Fridge is indeed very noisy. Shower drain drips forever. Telephone has no direct dial for concierge or front desk. All Park Suites face a new skyscraper, view is not desirable. All bathrooms without windows.

Positive: very nice pool area (but very few people can sit at the pool, most need to go to the cabanas). Restaurant has very nice items (only tried them for lunch and skipped breakfast). Very modern design, lots of space. I liked the Open House concept of the mall on the 6th floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.