Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the ramp to the side of the front entrance steps (inside between the concierge desk and the elevators/front desk/rest of the lobby level) is now gone, how do people in wheelchairs or with wheeled luggage (let alone anyone for whom the bell persons need s luggage cart) enter the hotel? The back entrance is rather hidden and IIRC has even more steps. In fact, doesn't France have accessibility laws? I get that they might not require drastic modifications to historic buildings, but for a public business to remove an existing ramp seems unusual.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the ramp to the side of the front entrance steps (inside between the concierge desk and the elevators/front desk/rest of the lobby level) is now gone, how do people in wheelchairs or with wheeled luggage (let alone anyone for whom the bell persons need s luggage cart) enter the hotel? The back entrance is rather hidden and IIRC has even more steps. In fact, doesn't France have accessibility laws? I get that they might not require drastic modifications to historic buildings, but for a public business to remove an existing ramp seems unusual.
They use an elevator now IIRC. It is still fully accessible and has to be. It just looks nicer as the ramp is gone. The ramp was always somewhat dangerous -- marble and wet shoes from rain, go figure.

This area always felt a bit cramped and it is so much better now. It was the right decision.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by scented
They use an elevator now IIRC. It is still fully accessible and has to be. It just looks nicer as the ramp is gone. The ramp was always somewhat dangerous -- marble and wet shoes from rain, go figure.

This area always felt a bit cramped and it is so much better now. It was the right decision.
Was just at PH Paris Vendome this past week. Overjoyed at the ability to use suite upgrades for an award booking!!!

The ramp is still present, albeit hard to notice (didn't even see it as we arrived and checked in). It is directly to the left of the steps, if you are entering from Rue de la Paix, but is sort of hidden behind the centerpiece of the entry. As we didn't need concierge services, we had no reason to stop at that desk. Noticed the ramp as we were leaving, and used it for our departure (rolling bags).

Used a suite upgrade and received a first floor King Suite--Corner room to boot. We were very, very happy with this room. Freaking.fantastic. This is not my first premium PH property suite (Tokyo, Istanbul, Siem Reap) and it was definitely up to snuff. 2nd 1/2 bathroom at the front door; huge closet/dressing room; VERY, VERY quiet. Creepy quiet, in fact.

A few notes, in response I guess to recent comments:
Blackout shade controls for this room were on the wall beside the bed.
Shower in our room was a nice travertine / light brown, not black.
Bed was *incredibly* comfortable. Larger than a standard King size (I have one at home).
On-call free water and Nespresso pods was fantastic, as SO & I are both coffee fiends and hydration-focused. Anything we called for was delivered within 3-5 minutes. Crazy fast!
Breakfast was quite good--excellent quality, if not quantity. Not quite on par with PH Tokyo. Service on the last day was shoddy (mistakes; forgotten beverages), but I noticed they were clearly short staffed (versus previous days).

Had looked forward to "Vendoming" for a while, and was not disappointed. This was my SO's first time to Paris and this def. made it extremely enjoyable and special.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds like you might have received an above and beyond upgrade for your TSU. It sounds much better than the Park King Suite that should have been confirmed. [For example, my Park King Suite, which was really a junior suite or even a deluxe room with a nice bathroom and a bit of a sitting area, looked into a courtyard and had the closet in the bathroom, with no additional powder room.]
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
A few notes, in response I guess to recent comments:
Blackout shade controls for this room were on the wall beside the bed.
Shower in our room was a nice travertine / light brown, not black.
Bed was *incredibly* comfortable. Larger than a standard King size (I have one at home).
Looks like you were not in a refreshed room: Did you have any visible TV standing around? If yes, not the renovated room.

The flooring of the showers in all renovated rooms and suites will be black granite. No more visible TVs.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like you might have received an above and beyond upgrade for your TSU. It sounds much better than the Park King Suite that should have been confirmed. [For example, my Park King Suite, which was really a junior suite or even a deluxe room with a nice bathroom and a bit of a sitting area, looked into a courtyard and had the closet in the bathroom, with no additional powder room.]
It's all about that "moment in time"
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
2nd 1/2 bathroom sounds like an executive suite, not the entry level suite.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sam_goh
2nd 1/2 bathroom sounds like an executive suite, not the entry level suite.
The executive suite I got as Diamond in Dec had 2 full Bathrooms clothes racks etc. FYI it was on the 5th floor
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:28 am

Recently stayed here for 2 nights. It was ok stay and nothing out of craziness as bloggers talk about. Breakfast was good and all the charges were taken off except gratuity. The only positive for me was location. It's close to some major attractions. I also stayed few nights at HR Etiole and prob stay there compared to PH. Too much point difference and found HR breakfast and evening spread way better than any NA HR.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by anubond005
I also stayed few nights at HR Etiole and prob stay there compared to PH. Too much point difference and found HR breakfast and evening spread way better than any NA HR.
I completely agree with this assessment and have the identical sentiment for the PH vs HR Tokyo.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
The executive suite I got as Diamond in Dec had 2 full Bathrooms clothes racks etc. FYI it was on the 5th floor
Was that a free upgrade? That's a very, very rare upgrade for free. For how many nights were you staying in that room?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anubond005
the only positive for me was location
Sorry, but what kind of review is this..... at least include what room you got and what you did or did not like. Now it's totally useless for anybody else, and that's the purpose of a review thread.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RTW1
Sorry, but what kind of review is this..... at least include what room you got and what you did or did not like. Now it's totally useless for anybody else, and that's the purpose of a review thread.
It's a review that indicates that the price difference in points between these two Paris Hyatt hotels makes it such for the FTer that the PH's wow factor isn't enough to make it the preferred future choice for the FTer when location is not the biggest factor. Or at least that's how I took that review.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's a review that indicates that the price difference in points between these two Paris Hyatt hotels makes it such for the FTer that the PH's wow factor isn't enough to make it the preferred future choice for the FTer when location is not the biggest factor. Or at least that's how I took that review.
i.e. the PHV is losing it's shine.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
i.e. the PHV is losing it's shine.
Until the next post, and its coming, giving glowing reviews because all of this is completely subjective. Shine on shine off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.