Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Room is reserved for two people. I am entitled to breakfast for 2 people.
You are not entitled to 2 breakfasts unless 2 guests are staying in the room.

I believe that requesting and providing advice on committing illegal acts are a violation of FT T&Cs.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I did not know that. Alright I stand corrected. Looks like will get a friend to check in with before we grab drinks to avoid hassle

Although I'm curious to see where you got that information. Typically the room you book sets the price / benefits. I've booked two person rooms and ended up staying alone and still paying the double price.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I did not know that. Alright I stand corrected. Looks like will get a friend to check in with before we grab drinks to avoid hassle

Although I'm curious to see where you got that information. Typically the room you book sets the price / benefits. I've booked two person rooms and ended up staying alone and still paying the double price.
The current WoH T&C read:

"Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children"

The T&C have always used such language (ie, registered guests, staying in the room, etc).

When checking in at PHV they normally require the passport or other ID of each guest staying in the room. This is also true at many other international properties.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And since there normally is no upcharge for a second person here, plus the fact that one breakfast here is plenty for one person makes this all pretty useless. And still a scam.

We don't need another devaluation of the Glob breakfast, the next step surely will be to disallow the room service breakfast.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Room is reserved for two people. I am entitled to breakfast for 2 people. You see the logic? Also what's the point of your meaningless post?

Or should I get a friendly neighborhood street dweller into my room so its not a "scam" in your eyes? @:-)

Now if anyone has any data points be greatly appreciated instead of being lectured by two puritans.
So let this "puritan" ask a question, when the reservation was made was the intention that two people would actually be staying in that room?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Room is reserved for two people. I am entitled to breakfast for 2 people. You see the logic? Also what's the point of your meaningless post?.
Do you know why Hyatt killed the breakfast for four benefit? It's because of overentitled solo traveling brats like you.

Hyatt invites staying guests to enjoy a free breakfast and doesn't hand out vouchers so you can dine any John, Dick and Harry.

Do you get that logic?

Properties are now enforcing this much more and much better than in the past and that is thanks to you... Well done!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77
Do you know why Hyatt killed the breakfast for four benefit? It's because of overentitled solo traveling brats like you.

Hyatt invites staying guests to enjoy a free breakfast and doesn't hand out vouchers so you can dine any John, Dick and Harry.

Do you get that logic?

Properties are now enforcing this much more and much better than in the past and that is thanks to you... Well done!
"Spoiled Brat" replace that with "millennial". Seems like I've found Grandpa Joe here.

You're a fool if you can't put 2 and 2 together. Why should I subsidize a group of 4 adults in the same room? Hyatt saw wiser. Now that they cut the benefit you still want people to take advantage of only half the perk? The logic on Flyertalk sometimes makes me question if I'm in the 90's.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
So let this "puritan" ask a question, when the reservation was made was the intention that two people would actually be staying in that room?
To answer your condescending question. Yes. Does that satisfy your pitchfork?

And I've stayed at numerous Hyatts around the world and they have NEVER asked for documentation for guests except at the Park Hyatt Siem Reap where its notorious for having lots of "ladies of the night". If they did such an asinine thing bookings by "free minded" businessmen would probably dry up to zero.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
"Spoiled Brat" replace that with "millennial". Seems like I've found Grandpa Joe here.

You're a fool if you can't put 2 and 2 together. Why should I subsidize a group of 4 adults in the same room? Hyatt saw wiser. Now that they cut the benefit you still want people to take advantage of only half the perk? The logic on Flyertalk sometimes makes me question if I'm in the 90's.

To answer your condescending question. Yes. Does that satisfy your pitchfork?

And I've stayed at numerous Hyatts around the world and they have NEVER asked for documentation for guests except at the Park Hyatt Siem Reap where its notorious for having lots of "ladies of the night". If they did such an asinine thing bookings by "free minded" businessmen would probably dry up to zero.
Might be time for you to move on, in life
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Might be time for you to move on, in life
Based off your posting history, might want to get some fresh air then trying to get an online holier then thou ego boost vs a "spoiled brat".
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SethLevy
The room is never ready at this hotel, regardless of whether you check-in at 8 am, noon, 3 pm or 6 pm (happen to me and they never sent up the apology gift).
That's my experience too, and I have to wonder if this is because the room assignments (including upgrades) need some kind of specific, manual approval by someone other than the regular front desk staff usually checking me in.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

I must have been lucky to date. I've stayed twice at this property in the last year, both times on points. I was checked into the room straightaway on my first visit, despite arriving at 8.30am, and didn't have any trouble checking in at 3 pm on my last visit either. Both times the service was excellent and my request for a street facing room honoured.

In fact I'm returning this summer, so hopefully the issues that posters have identified will either have been ironed out by then or will manage to miss us!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
He asked whether the "mystical guest" thingy works because his intention was for two people to stay... ROFTLMAO
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:51 pm

This just isn't true. I'd say that 90% of the time, the room price is the room price regardless of 1 or 2 people staying in it. If you try 3 ppl, sure, it may go up, but rooms sleep 2 people generally, and if you pay for one person, it doesn't really matter.

If you booked for 2 people and it's just you staying, the hotel will want the other person to check in with the front desk at some point. They like to know who is in their hotel & honestly, in this climate, I think it's a security concern to them if you are lying. Do as you please, but don't get upset when other people are simply calling attention to the truth of what you are attempting to do.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:55 am

One should not forget that this is a luxury hotel... even a Breakfast for one person will not leave you hungry, rest assured. This whole discussion is about nothing. Don't you think they will serve you well? Why the scamming? You cannot expect them to treat you well when you are dishonest.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just completed a 3-night stay here on all points w/ TSU.

While the hotel itself is nice, as a Hyatt loyalist this was a one-time 'glad I got to experience it and see what they hype was all about' property to me.

While I did not have a bad experience like those most recently mentioned above (power outages, noise, etc.) I also can't think of one positive thing that would sway me to spend the money or points (or both) to stay at this property again.

For those who ask about using the free night awards I would say:

If you do not travel often and Paris is going to be your 'big trip' or only vacation for the year, then yes, maybe I would consider using them as you can definitely do a lot worse than a few free nights at the PHV. However, if you travel often, I would 100% stay somewhere else and save the free nights for another property.

just my $0.02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.