Wiki Posts
Search

SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

I've read both threads on the Grand and the Olive 8.

The price is about the same.
The bonus points are about the same.
The staff at both seem to be stellar.

What is the actual tie-breaker for any of you??

I like that I hear the breakfast for the Olive is "nicer" but is it comp'd for DM?
I also like the salt pool for doing some laps in prep for scuba/free diving in Aruba at the end of the month...

I want to make a rez w/ "she who must be obeyed" for a mattress run on a TransCon overnight MR. I'm probably gonna be a little zonked as I am doing a MCO-LAX-PDX-LAX-MCO-MSP-SEA-overnight real bed at Hyatt-SEA-SLC-MCO... friday 5am to monday 12am...

Therefore, I'm looking for some advice and comparative feedback, please and thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I can't stand the Olive 8. I think the personnel there are some of the worst I've encountered in the Hyatt system. The Grand Hyatt wins every time in my mind. If they are the same price then I'd go with the Grand Hyatt. Fantastic experience every time that I have been there. Rooms are lovely, staff is gracious, lounge was great (if you're a Diamond).

Realize though that both of these are 30 minutes from the airport so if you're doing a MR you may just want to grab a cheap place at the airport.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As a Diamond I'd opt for the Olive8 because I like a real breakfast and find NAmerican Hyatt Club lounge continental breakfasts skimpy and lacking. Nor are the evening offerings in the lounge worth much. If I must pay for drinks I'd rather buy a pint or two of Pike's Pale down at The Market than a Bud in the lounge with mediocre snacks. Yes, the Grand is a bit grander, but the 8 is just fine in my books. And it's only a block further from the train to SEA, so you'll walk off the extra calories from a real breakfast. Anyhow, that was my logic for booking it for a stay next month (bonus fiasco aside!)...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
As a Diamond I'd opt for the Olive8 because I like a real breakfast and find NAmerican Hyatt Club lounge continental breakfasts skimpy and lacking. Nor are the evening offerings in the lounge worth much. If I must pay for drinks I'd rather buy a pint or two of Pike's Pale down at The Market than a Bud in the lounge with mediocre snacks. Yes, the Grand is a bit grander, but the 8 is just fine in my books. And it's only a block further from the train to SEA, so you'll walk off the extra calories from a real breakfast. Anyhow, that was my logic for booking it for a stay next month (bonus fiasco aside!)...
bonus fiasco? - u mean the 2night 5000 gold bonus points?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you Idsant and Shareholder!! This has been the dilemma. People are adamantly on one side or the other without much middle ground.

I agree with Shareholder. I like a real breakfast and food, but I see there is a nice sushi joint and a ruth's chris on property for the Grand.

I was wondering about the view for either hotel??

As far as being close to SEA... I've never really explored the city and will have roughly 24 hrs to meander - so I thought I'd take the train to/from downtown.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by performancefitness
bonus fiasco? - u mean the 2night 5000 gold bonus points?
Not being combinable with the G bonus. See the thread on the 5K bonus for details.

If you like a good breakfast, Olive8. You can still go to Ruths for steak at the Grand. As it's a contract restaurant, you wouldn't earn GP points for that meal, so still a wash.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not being combinable with the G bonus. See the thread on the 5K bonus for details.

If you like a good breakfast, Olive8. You can still go to Ruths for steak at the Grand. As it's a contract restaurant, you wouldn't earn GP points for that meal, so still a wash.

The folks on the diamond line have always added the points for me. have you tried that for the stackable promos?

how's the view of the bay or city from the Olive8, Shareholder?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The view is much better from the GH. Really not much of a view to speak of from Olive 8, even if you end up on the top floors.

Which hotel to choose is a really tough call; the staff at the GH are great, and I agree with ldsant that some of the folks at the Olive 8 are rather incompetent. Not unfriendly, just incompetent and a bit slow.

Both properties offer suite upgrades to Diamonds (based on availability); at GH, you're likely to get a small suite that essentially is a large corner room; at Olive 8, I've received the presidential suite a couple of times. GH has a lot of suites, and even if they're all sold out, you still have very high odds of getting a regular club room with a great view. There's greater potential of ending up in a normal room at Olive 8.

The club at GH is pretty nice as far as Hyatt clubs go, but the food offering is pretty boring. Breakfast at Olive 8 is very nice, you can have whatever you want, even though the coupon says "one hot entree" or somesuch.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
The view is much better from the GH. Really not much of a view to speak of from Olive 8, even if you end up on the top floors.

Which hotel to choose is a really tough call; the staff at the GH are great, and I agree with ldsant that some of the folks at the Olive 8 are rather incompetent. Not unfriendly, just incompetent and a bit slow.

Both properties offer suite upgrades to Diamonds (based on availability); at GH, you're likely to get a small suite that essentially is a large corner room; at Olive 8, I've received the presidential suite a couple of times. GH has a lot of suites, and even if they're all sold out, you still have very high odds of getting a regular club room with a great view. There's greater potential of ending up in a normal room at Olive 8.

The club at GH is pretty nice as far as Hyatt clubs go, but the food offering is pretty boring. Breakfast at Olive 8 is very nice, you can have whatever you want, even though the coupon says "one hot entree" or somesuch.
aaahhh!! as usual, the FT'ers pull through with the info!
Thanks jpdx. VERY HELPFUL!!

on a side note, I noticed your two locations. very nice. going to munich for octoberfest? where do you like to stay in Munich? I've only stayed at the airport before the return back to the US...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just as an aside - in Seattle Ruth Chris is considered "fine" but if you want great steak try the Met (Metropolitan Steam house) El Gaucho or the Buenos Aires Grill. Much better imo. Ruth Chris and the Met also have nice happy hours.

As far as views are concerned - the best view is to walk the 6 blocks down to the Market and then take pics/look at the views from there. Or take a ferry back and forth to Bainbridge.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If I had to choose I think I'd choose the live 8. Both are very nice.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Sounds like the pool would be the deal breaker for staying at Olive 8.

Benefits of the Grand Hyatt is relatively easy executive suite upgrade for diamonds or at least the bigger corner room / oversize tubs / view. Nice and empty fitness center. They also have a Regency Club with offerings that are very ordinary but the club itself looks nice. Usually run by one overworked and probably underpaid individual.

Benefits of Olive 8 is large pool and nice changing room with steam / sauna (no lockers) and of course generous breakfest benefit for diamonds. Upgrades for diamond memebers is fairly hard here because they always seem to run pretty full on weekends and they work hard to sell the upgrades in advance to guests willing to pay the upgrade fee. So expect an ordinary room.

Both Happy Hours at Olive 8's "Urbane" and Grand's Ruth Chris are worth a try even on the same night.
Along with good food specials Urbane has decent draft specials and Ruth Chris has amazing prices on Martini, Lemon Drop, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Also if you really have to eat at Ruth's, it is worth noting that the hotels are within a few minutes walk from each other, so you could easily stay at the Olive 8 and then walk over to Ruth's to eat.

Are you a AAA member? If so, I would look at the AAA rates that include breakfast, they are sometimes cheaper, and at least at the Grand Hyatt, it includes breakfast at Ruth's (a credit).
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:41 pm

Grand

I recently stayed at the Grand in Seattle for a long weekend and it was a great experience. I normally stay at Marriotts but Hyatt Gold Passport offered me a status match to my Marriott so I tried them out. I was upgraded to a very nice suite and the customer service was excellent. I debated on staying at the Olive 8 but from talking with the csr who did my reservation they suggested this one.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by performancefitness
I like that I hear the breakfast for the Olive is "nicer" but is it comp'd for DM?
I also like the salt pool for doing some laps in prep for scuba/free diving in Aruba at the end of the month...
I just did a similar trip this last weekend. Fri night (9:30p arr from MCO) @ the Olive8 & Sat night (11a arr from Olive8) at the GH.

Had a suite at both, I would say that the O8 suite was very nice and more modern. I did like the bathroom at the GH better though. The suite at the O8 was VERY unexpected however as they typically do not upgrade nearly as liberally as the GH.

As for breakfast, that was our tiebreaker and in subsequent trips we will not hop over to the Grand Hyatt as the breakfast in the lounge is continental with very few options.

Originally Posted by jpdx

I think you've covered everything. I didn't get a coupon for breakfast but we had the crab-cakes Benedict & salmon omelet and they were very good. Even picked sides and drinks. $0 bill.

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Benefits of Olive 8 is large pool and nice changing room with steam / sauna (no lockers) and of course generous breakfest benefit for diamonds. Upgrades for diamond memebers is fairly hard here because they always seem to run pretty full on weekends and they work hard to sell the upgrades in advance to guests willing to pay the upgrade fee. So expect an ordinary room.
That's true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.