SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by jpdx
The view is much better from the GH. Really not much of a view to speak of from Olive 8, even if you end up on the top floors.

Which hotel to choose is a really tough call; the staff at the GH are great, and I agree with ldsant that some of the folks at the Olive 8 are rather incompetent. Not unfriendly, just incompetent and a bit slow.

Both properties offer suite upgrades to Diamonds (based on availability); at GH, you're likely to get a small suite that essentially is a large corner room; at Olive 8, I've received the presidential suite a couple of times. GH has a lot of suites, and even if they're all sold out, you still have very high odds of getting a regular club room with a great view. There's greater potential of ending up in a normal room at Olive 8.

The club at GH is pretty nice as far as Hyatt clubs go, but the food offering is pretty boring. Breakfast at Olive 8 is very nice, you can have whatever you want, even though the coupon says "one hot entree" or somesuch.
Just fyi - from my experience using a fwn in August at the GH, we received a huge 2 room suite with awesome view to the market/water with a huge bathroom.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just fyi - from my experience using a fwn in August at the GH, we received a huge 2 room suite with awesome view to the market/water with a huge bathroom.
Yes this was my experience too at the grand. Don't expect much of an upgrade at the Olive8. While I can appreciate the full breakfast, I prefer upgrades more.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
GH: Batting almost 100% upgrades this year, fabulous suites with huge tubs to soak in. The workout facilities and hot tub / sauna / steam room are great. Awesome staff.

Olive 8: Rooms are average, no upgrades this year. Pool is nice, hot tub is not hot enough. Crab benedict for breakfast is one of the best things ever.

If you want a better room as a Diamond, choose GH. If you want a really good breakfast over smoked salmon / common contintental, choose Olive 8.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
got the AAA rate at both with a $8 difference.

Has anyone tried the AAA breakfast at Ruth's Chris at the GH?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by performancefitness
got the AAA rate at both with a $8 difference.

Has anyone tried the AAA breakfast at Ruth's Chris at the GH?
It's fine - I believe you get to order off the menu.

Again, there are many wonderful places to eat in SEA that aren't chain restaurants. Breakfast at Lola's and Etta's come to mind.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:49 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'd go for the view and better chance at upgrade at GH. I can't imagine that you couldn't finagle a visit to the Salt Water pool at O8 anyway.

Then you can take advantage of the myriad of tasty breakfast options in Seattle.

http://lepichetseattle.com
http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com
http://www.steelheaddiner.com
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
I've stayed at both, and have to agree with what's posted above. The one thing I would add, as someone who's never been upgraded to a suite at The Olive, is that I've never had a room there with a bath; only large shower area. I've always, even if not upgraded to a suite, had both, not so large an area for the shower, at the GH. As I stated, never been in a suite at the Olive, so don't know if they have both there.

So, if taking a bath is something you or the SO might like to do, then look to the GH.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Can't speak for the Olive8 as I haven't stayed there. But, as upgraded to an exec suite every time at GH. Nicely maintained hotel...not dated. Great view of the bay. Good, friendly staff. Lounge food offerings aren't great, but really haven't seen a lounge domestically that has great food...then again, I'm not really a breakfast person. GH Seattle is one of the better hyatts domestically.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by From NYC
I've stayed at both, and have to agree with what's posted above. The one thing I would add, as someone who's never been upgraded to a suite at The Olive, is that I've never had a room there with a bath; only large shower area. I've always, even if not upgraded to a suite, had both, not so large an area for the shower, at the GH. As I stated, never been in a suite at the Olive, so don't know if they have both there.

So, if taking a bath is something you or the SO might like to do, then look to the GH.
I just confirmed a Diamond upgrade for a suite at the Olive8 for my two-night stay, but did notice on my original reservation (not the upgraded one) that it was a shower only room. That said, I've never automatically been upgraded to a suite at either of these properties and didn't think that was a benefit. Suspect one of the reasons the Olive8 seems a bit spartan by GH standards is that plush carpeting, baths and similar amenities are not eco friendly enough to qualify it for the standard it proclaims.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to say Thank you again to all those who posted.

Thanks for helping me with a wonderful weekend getaway with the spouse!!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Enjoy your trip! Seattle is a great city, and you can't really go wrong with either hotel. Imo, they're very clearly among the best domestic Hyatts.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ldsant
I can't stand the Olive 8. I think the personnel there are some of the worst I've encountered in the Hyatt system. The Grand Hyatt wins every time in my mind. If they are the same price then I'd go with the Grand Hyatt. Fantastic experience every time that I have been there. Rooms are lovely, staff is gracious, lounge was great (if you're a Diamond).
Sorry to hear about your negative FD experience at the O8. I have stayed here over 20 nights this summer and never had one. In fact, the FD staff at O8 were nicer than GH IMHO. The GH FD had more turnovers this summer vs O8 and that may be the reason. Also, breakfast rocks at O8 while the GH lounge offerings has been steadily going down hill over the summer. But GH have the best views plus more upgrades for Diamonds. Both properties are one of the best in the US so you can't really go wrong staying at either one.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]

What did you decide?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe

Originally Posted by Vuelos
What did you decide?
After reading through this thread my spouse and I are having our weekend getaway at the GH. But then again, I'm not the OP...

I wanted a nice view, but the real kicker was getting the shopping package for $179. Subtracting out the $50 gift card at Pacific Place and the $33 valet that's also included, and we are under $100 a night for the room. I was able to use a suite upgrade also. SWEET!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdx_fam
After reading through this thread my spouse and I are having our weekend getaway at the GH. But then again, I'm not the OP...

I wanted a nice view, but the real kicker was getting the shopping package for $179. Subtracting out the $50 gift card at Pacific Place and the $33 valet that's also included, and we are under $100 a night for the room. I was able to use a suite upgrade also. SWEET!
Shopping package and gift card?? do tell !!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.