Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Hyatt just refused to honor the BRG for a low Hyatt rate quote on gtahotels.com, claiming a booking made there wasn't "immediately bookable" despite the "Immediate Confirmation" on the gtahotels page when I clicked on the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Hyatt claimed that, despite the requested credit card information at the gtahotels site, I would get only a voucher which could be exchanged later for a booking.

Unless gtahotels is really shady, this logic seems pretty tortured. And rates below Hyatt's have to be pretty rare on the mainline booking sites. So...I have to ask.....has anyone filed a successful BRG claim recently? Any details you'd like to share?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:17 pm

interesting.. i just had a similar experience.. easyclicktravel.co.uk was giving buy 2 nights get 1 free @ the hyatt andaz london. Called up BRG, told it was a 'package' deal, though i fail to see the package as i'm only getting the hotel. Called up the diamond line, was told easyclicktravel.co.uk is a wholesaler and hyatt does not match their price because they are similar to priceline.

My first bad hyatt CS experience. I always thought hyatt and bad CS was an oxymoron, i guess i was wrong
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
gtahotels.com is indeed a voucher site - I've run into that with the old Wyndham BRG. See link and emphasis added below - note they say the reservation is guaranteed with them, not the hotel.

http://www.gtahotels.com/customercare/main.php

Instant Online Confirmation

Upon submitting the booking form, you will be given a confirmation number, as well as a link to an electronic voucher. You will also receive an e-mail showing your booking information. Your booking with us will then be confirmed and we will not change your accommodation or the rate – we guarantee it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:24 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
My biggest beef with the Hyatt Best Rate Policy is that Hyatt CS considers a rate that bundles taxes as a "package rate". So if I find a rate on Expedia that is lower, Hyatt will not invoke the best rate guarantee because Expedia bundles taxes into their rates.

this doesn't make any sense to me since the taxes are a fixed charge and the same whether you pay for them upfront or when you check out.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Hyatt Regency Warsaw on hyatt.com 65 Euro

Hyatt Regency Warsaw on hrs.com 55 Euro including breakfast

Was advised that the hrs rate cannot be considered, because it is a package deal....in other words, a property is significantly cheaper on another site ( 15 % in this case ) and gives you free breakfast ( around $ 20 as well per person at the HR Warsaw ) and Hyatt can wiggle out of it, claiming this is a package...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by thc
My biggest beef with the Hyatt Best Rate Policy is that Hyatt CS considers a rate that bundles taxes as a "package rate". So if I find a rate on Expedia that is lower, Hyatt will not invoke the best rate guarantee because Expedia bundles taxes into their rates.

this doesn't make any sense to me since the taxes are a fixed charge and the same whether you pay for them upfront or when you check out.
Wow.. that might be worse than what i was told.. because hyatt themselves are inconsistent when it comes to taxes.. Hyatt London (UK) do not include taxes in the prices they list.. Hyatt Birmingham (UK) do include taxes.. so does that mean the hyatt rate on their website is a "bundle"..
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Had a bad experience as well with Hyatt BRG. Wasn't really looking to do this, but happened to notice the rate on AAVaations.com was $10 lower than my already-booked Hyatt rate; plus with the 20% discount on the lower rate, I figured it was worth a quick call. This was booking only hotel, not a package. AAVacations site said they absolutely guaranteed the room & price once I put in my cc. Called Hyatt and ended up spending 50 minutes on the phone, which was insane but it become the principal of the thing for me.

When I first called, CSR told me AAVacations is one of their "300" web sites listed as not qualifying for BRG. Agent spent 20 minutes trying to recreate what I found on AAVacations' web site, put me on hold to speak with supervisor, then they called AAVacations. Final determination was AAVacations issues a "voucher" and that their price and room confirmation is not guaranteed when I book; therefore not eligible. He said as a good-will gesture Hyatt would give me the room at the $10 lower price (no mention of the 20%). I asked if that rate would be an eligible rate and he said no; I said forget it. A few minutes later my phone rang, it was the CSR saying they didn't realize I was a Diamond so another goodwill gesture--they would insure that $10 lower rate would be an eligible rate. I'm thinking I must need my head examined to spend so much time on this, but thanked him.

Today I decide to call AAVacations and they tell me emphatically that when I book with them, the room and rate are absolutely guaranteed. Yes, they send me a voucher which I take to the hotel as proof that I've paid.

Anyway just wanted to agree that this Hyatt experience smacks of the Hilton BRG experience, which surprised me. Even worse, I spent nearly an hour on the phone--at least the other brands do it via a quick form & e-mail.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Hotel Best Rate Guarantees are a source of confusion not limited to Hyatt. One rule of thumb is if you are immediately paying a third party, which sounds like what is happening in the examples, its probably not eligible. If they are instead just making you a reservation and you pay upon arrival, it probably is.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Wow...not a single successful BRG claim reported to date.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
BRG: booking.com vs. Hyatt

Hi!

I just found a good offer for the Hyatt Place Miami (by the airport). $70+$9 taxes for a fully flexible double or king room including breakfast and WiFi (i.e. 12/18, 12/19, 12/20).
As it is a flexible rate I simply booked it, read the best rate guarantee rules and called the hotline.

It turns out booking.com is not eligable because it does not show the room price but a package price (for which the BRG does not apply as per T&C).
It shows $70 for the room plus taxes. Problem is that when searching for a two night stay it shows a package for the nights plus taxes and not a nightly price.

I put in three one-night stays and not one three-night stay because I might be somewhere else on the 19th (and simply cancel that stay). He claimed that I knew the 'package' issue and tried to work around it.

Is there any chance to get the 20% off? I usually play by the rules but the Hyatt BRG T&Cs seem to have too many loopholes so just on basic principle I should follow up on this
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Hyatt BRG has denied such rates even though Booking.com explicitly states that its price is for the room only -- which is exactly what Hyatt requires. Moreover, when one moves your cursor over terms and conditions and limitations of the rate on Booking.com, it further notes that tax is not included -- therefore, their rates are not package rates -- Hyatt's decision to disallow is unprincipled.

I recently had three BRG agents deny a similar claim of mine.

First, they stated that it was a package rate because tax was included -- lie #1.

Another agent then allowed that although tax was not included in the rate as first displayed, the amount of tax was not calculated -- it was only listed as a percentage of the room rate -- and therefore, unlike Hyatt's website, which displays the $ amount of the tax, booking.com does not -- therefore, the BRG claim was disallowed. I countered by noting that one could very easily figure out the tax and that in any event, that tax would be displayed at the end of the transaction if you were to purchase the room.

I then spoke to the supervisor on duty and I asked him to read to me verbatim what the BRG stated. He reluctantly did so and given the terms and conditions of the BRG the claim should have been upheld -- instead, it was denied because the final amount one would have to pay was not displayed in the same manner that Hyatt does, and therefore, the claim was denied.

I advised that this was an unprincipled argument and well beneath the standards set by the hotel chain and its usually customer focused Consumer Affairs Department.

I advised that I would expect a phone call from the head of the BRG department on Monday when he and I will be in the office. If they persist in a denial I will go to the press.

We are on very very solid ground on this one.

Those who remember the names/organizations that have responded to traveler complaints please e-mail me.

I have advised Hyatt that it would be a shame that their org will be tarnished by this, but if they should adopt this ridiculous denial of booking.com quotes, I have little choice.

They have had a couple of days to mull this over.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Oct 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Those who remember the names/organizations that have responded to traveler complaints please e-mail me.
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:23 am

What would I do if I like to take advantage of FFN and BRG?

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
... Hyatt BRG T&Cs seem to have too many loopholes ...
Hyatt guarantees to provide the lowest on-line bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt Hotels available to the general public on the Internet and their T&C are quite specific: The rate you found on booking.com was a “Competitive Rate” in their terms and Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative was wrong.

Reading NJ Up in the Air’s experiences, I don’t know if he gave me a chance to close the deal, but I had act differently. Here is why:

If I like to stay at a Hyatt property on a weekend in December to earn FFN and choose Miami as my place to be, I would stay at HR Peer 66, HR Miami and HR Bonaventure. Your $ 70 Rate at HP MIA was a great catch (Hyatt Daily Rate: $ 149) I had missed (there is still one room available at the time of writing this entry). I had booked one Friday and one Sunday night at Hyatt.com and had asked Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative to make appropriate adjustments to my rate (= $ 56). If s/he had refused to honour my claim, I had asked him/her about he name and made it clear, that one of HP brand feature is to offer daily complimentary continental breakfast. If I was still unsuccessful, I had asked to transfer me to a supervisor. If necessary, Consumer Affairs came into play.

I always like to solve issues and not create difficulties: To book three different reservations for a three night stay I never intend to use under this given circumstances and to ask to book (three separate reservations??) one stay with reference to three reservations I made (please remember: The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Representative will go to the web site where the lower rate was found and ensure it is for the same terms and conditions as the Hyattsummerfieldsuites.com, HyattPlace.com or Hyatt.com rate and for the same length of stay. If the claim qualifies, they will apply the 20% discount.) might spin the wheel to an off topic spot.

Why don’t make it plain & simple?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
Hyatt guarantees to provide the lowest on-line bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt Hotels available to the general public on the Internet and their T&C are quite specific: The rate you found on booking.com was a “Competitive Rate” in their terms and Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative was wrong.

Reading NJ Up in the Air’s experiences, I don’t know if he gave me a chance to close the deal, but I had act differently. Here is why:

If I like to stay at a Hyatt property on a weekend in December to earn FFN and choose Miami as my place to be, I would stay at HR Peer 66, HR Miami and HR Bonaventure. Your $ 70 Rate at HP MIA was a great catch (Hyatt Daily Rate: $ 149) I had missed (there is still one room available at the time of writing this entry). I had booked one Friday and one Sunday night at Hyatt.com and had asked Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative to make appropriate adjustments to my rate (= $ 56). If s/he had refused to honour my claim, I had asked him/her about he name and made it clear, that one of HP brand feature is to offer daily complimentary continental breakfast. If I was still unsuccessful, I had asked to transfer me to a supervisor. If necessary, Consumer Affairs came into play.

I always like to solve issues and not create difficulties: To book three different reservations for a three night stay I never intend to use under this given circumstances and to ask to book (three separate reservations??) one stay with reference to three reservations I made (please remember: The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Representative will go to the web site where the lower rate was found and ensure it is for the same terms and conditions as the Hyattsummerfieldsuites.com, HyattPlace.com or Hyatt.com rate and for the same length of stay. If the claim qualifies, they will apply the 20% discount.) might spin the wheel to an off topic spot.

Why don’t make it plain & simple?
Did all. Supervisor was of no help -- essentially reading a script. What it came down to essentially was Hyatt stating that the way the ultimate rate one has to pay is displayed differently -- therefore, Hyatt does not need to accept the claim.

The above position is ludicrous. Booking.com states it is only a room rate, nothing else, although it does note free cont'l breakfast -- a standard feature of all HPs -- so that is not a deal killer either.

The website makes clear that tax is not included in the rate, so not a package rate.

Essentially, they claim that Hyatt calculates the tax, whereas Booking.com does not -- it only states that the tax is not included and what the applicable tax rate will be -- so they said not acceptable -- even though if you were to purchase, the tax is calculated at the end point.

As I have stated above, it essentially boils down to Hyatt claiming that how the rate and tax is displayed is different from the way Hyatt displays it, and therefore they have no obligation to accept the claim. This penultimate statement on behalf of a supervisor at the BRG desk is, at best, ludicrous.

That is why I have requested that the head of the BRG department contact me on Monday and failing resolution I intend to contact those who SS has identified -- many thanks.

As many know on this and other boards, I have been among many of you who counsel to live within the rules, i.e., no phantom stays, no two hotels on one night, etc.

Although we have an obligation to live within the parameters set forth by GP for promotions and earning points, etc., they have an equal and like obligation to be validly guided by those very same rules -- not to make up new rules or to torture existing rules into oblivion. Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with organizations doing the latter.

This they have done with respect to Booking.com rate quotes and this must not be permitted to stand.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Oct 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:28 am

The only positive aspect I see on these desperate issues you had is this: As Hyatt’s T&C are specific:
  1. A "Competing Rate" is a publicly available and immediately online bookable room-only rate for a Hyatt Hotel that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on www.hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay). There are two notable exceptions*):

2. To qualify for a 20% discount on “Competing Rate” (and to receive stay credit within GP) we have to call either prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on http://www.hyatt.com.

If an associate excludes booking.com - Europe’s leading online hotel reservations agency by room nights sold, is available in 24 languages and offers over 73K hotels in 71 countries (parent company: Priceline) – because the rate is displayed differently s/he is out of touch. Booking.com is very specific what is and is not included in the room rate and lists this immediately below the room type. While it’s habitual that taxes are included in Europe, the contrary is true for North America.

I hope Hyatt’s Consumer Affair’s department will investigate.

*) Package Holidays & packaged Rates are not Room Only Rates. Qualified Discount Rates & Unpublished, Negotiated Rates are not publicly available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.