FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/970090-hyatt-best-rate-guarantee-experiences-master-thread-wiki.html)

Explore Jun 30, 2009 12:28 am

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Hyatt just refused to honor the BRG for a low Hyatt rate quote on gtahotels.com, claiming a booking made there wasn't "immediately bookable" despite the "Immediate Confirmation" on the gtahotels page when I clicked on the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Hyatt claimed that, despite the requested credit card information at the gtahotels site, I would get only a voucher which could be exchanged later for a booking.

Unless gtahotels is really shady, this logic seems pretty tortured. And rates below Hyatt's have to be pretty rare on the mainline booking sites. So...I have to ask.....has anyone filed a successful BRG claim recently? Any details you'd like to share?

sadhakim Jul 29, 2009 3:17 pm

interesting.. i just had a similar experience.. easyclicktravel.co.uk was giving buy 2 nights get 1 free @ the hyatt andaz london. Called up BRG, told it was a 'package' deal, though i fail to see the package as i'm only getting the hotel. Called up the diamond line, was told easyclicktravel.co.uk is a wholesaler and hyatt does not match their price because they are similar to priceline.

My first bad hyatt CS experience. I always thought hyatt and bad CS was an oxymoron, i guess i was wrong :)

icurhere2 Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm

gtahotels.com is indeed a voucher site - I've run into that with the old Wyndham BRG. See link and emphasis added below - note they say the reservation is guaranteed with them, not the hotel.

http://www.gtahotels.com/customercare/main.php

Instant Online Confirmation

Upon submitting the booking form, you will be given a confirmation number, as well as a link to an electronic voucher. You will also receive an e-mail showing your booking information. Your booking with us will then be confirmed and we will not change your accommodation or the rate – we guarantee it.

thc Jul 29, 2009 9:24 pm

My biggest beef with the Hyatt Best Rate Policy is that Hyatt CS considers a rate that bundles taxes as a "package rate". So if I find a rate on Expedia that is lower, Hyatt will not invoke the best rate guarantee because Expedia bundles taxes into their rates.

this doesn't make any sense to me since the taxes are a fixed charge and the same whether you pay for them upfront or when you check out.

FD1971 Jul 30, 2009 1:37 am

Hyatt Regency Warsaw on hyatt.com 65 Euro

Hyatt Regency Warsaw on hrs.com 55 Euro including breakfast

Was advised that the hrs rate cannot be considered, because it is a package deal....in other words, a property is significantly cheaper on another site ( 15 % in this case ) and gives you free breakfast ( around $ 20 as well per person at the HR Warsaw ) and Hyatt can wiggle out of it, claiming this is a package...

sadhakim Jul 30, 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by thc (Post 12144885)
My biggest beef with the Hyatt Best Rate Policy is that Hyatt CS considers a rate that bundles taxes as a "package rate". So if I find a rate on Expedia that is lower, Hyatt will not invoke the best rate guarantee because Expedia bundles taxes into their rates.

this doesn't make any sense to me since the taxes are a fixed charge and the same whether you pay for them upfront or when you check out.

Wow.. that might be worse than what i was told.. because hyatt themselves are inconsistent when it comes to taxes.. Hyatt London (UK) do not include taxes in the prices they list.. Hyatt Birmingham (UK) do include taxes.. so does that mean the hyatt rate on their website is a "bundle"..

Steph58 Sep 5, 2009 9:48 am

Had a bad experience as well with Hyatt BRG. Wasn't really looking to do this, but happened to notice the rate on AAVaations.com was $10 lower than my already-booked Hyatt rate; plus with the 20% discount on the lower rate, I figured it was worth a quick call. This was booking only hotel, not a package. AAVacations site said they absolutely guaranteed the room & price once I put in my cc. Called Hyatt and ended up spending 50 minutes on the phone, which was insane but it become the principal of the thing for me.

When I first called, CSR told me AAVacations is one of their "300" web sites listed as not qualifying for BRG. Agent spent 20 minutes trying to recreate what I found on AAVacations' web site, put me on hold to speak with supervisor, then they called AAVacations. Final determination was AAVacations issues a "voucher" and that their price and room confirmation is not guaranteed when I book; therefore not eligible. He said as a good-will gesture Hyatt would give me the room at the $10 lower price (no mention of the 20%). I asked if that rate would be an eligible rate and he said no; I said forget it. A few minutes later my phone rang, it was the CSR saying they didn't realize I was a Diamond so another goodwill gesture--they would insure that $10 lower rate would be an eligible rate. I'm thinking I must need my head examined to spend so much time on this, but thanked him.

Today I decide to call AAVacations and they tell me emphatically that when I book with them, the room and rate are absolutely guaranteed. Yes, they send me a voucher which I take to the hotel as proof that I've paid.

Anyway just wanted to agree that this Hyatt experience smacks of the Hilton BRG experience, which surprised me. Even worse, I spent nearly an hour on the phone--at least the other brands do it via a quick form & e-mail.

jayer Sep 5, 2009 12:41 pm

Hotel Best Rate Guarantees are a source of confusion not limited to Hyatt. One rule of thumb is if you are immediately paying a third party, which sounds like what is happening in the examples, its probably not eligible. If they are instead just making you a reservation and you pay upon arrival, it probably is.

Explore Sep 6, 2009 10:41 am

Wow...not a single successful BRG claim reported to date.

El_Duderito Oct 23, 2009 12:50 pm

BRG: booking.com vs. Hyatt

Hi!

I just found a good offer for the Hyatt Place Miami (by the airport). $70+$9 taxes for a fully flexible double or king room including breakfast and WiFi (i.e. 12/18, 12/19, 12/20).
As it is a flexible rate I simply booked it, read the best rate guarantee rules and called the hotline.

It turns out booking.com is not eligable because it does not show the room price but a package price (for which the BRG does not apply as per T&C).
It shows $70 for the room plus taxes. Problem is that when searching for a two night stay it shows a package for the nights plus taxes and not a nightly price.

I put in three one-night stays and not one three-night stay because I might be somewhere else on the 19th (and simply cancel that stay). He claimed that I knew the 'package' issue and tried to work around it.

Is there any chance to get the 20% off? I usually play by the rules but the Hyatt BRG T&Cs seem to have too many loopholes so just on basic principle I should follow up on this ;)

NJUPINTHEAIR Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Hyatt BRG has denied such rates even though Booking.com explicitly states that its price is for the room only -- which is exactly what Hyatt requires. Moreover, when one moves your cursor over terms and conditions and limitations of the rate on Booking.com, it further notes that tax is not included -- therefore, their rates are not package rates -- Hyatt's decision to disallow is unprincipled.

I recently had three BRG agents deny a similar claim of mine.

First, they stated that it was a package rate because tax was included -- lie #1.

Another agent then allowed that although tax was not included in the rate as first displayed, the amount of tax was not calculated -- it was only listed as a percentage of the room rate -- and therefore, unlike Hyatt's website, which displays the $ amount of the tax, booking.com does not -- therefore, the BRG claim was disallowed. I countered by noting that one could very easily figure out the tax and that in any event, that tax would be displayed at the end of the transaction if you were to purchase the room.

I then spoke to the supervisor on duty and I asked him to read to me verbatim what the BRG stated. He reluctantly did so and given the terms and conditions of the BRG the claim should have been upheld -- instead, it was denied because the final amount one would have to pay was not displayed in the same manner that Hyatt does, and therefore, the claim was denied.

I advised that this was an unprincipled argument and well beneath the standards set by the hotel chain and its usually customer focused Consumer Affairs Department.

I advised that I would expect a phone call from the head of the BRG department on Monday when he and I will be in the office. If they persist in a denial I will go to the press.

We are on very very solid ground on this one.

Those who remember the names/organizations that have responded to traveler complaints please e-mail me.

I have advised Hyatt that it would be a shame that their org will be tarnished by this, but if they should adopt this ridiculous denial of booking.com quotes, I have little choice.

They have had a couple of days to mull this over.

Smart Shopper Oct 24, 2009 1:24 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 12699052)
Those who remember the names/organizations that have responded to traveler complaints please e-mail me.

If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)

Smart Shopper Oct 24, 2009 2:23 am

What would I do if I like to take advantage of FFN and BRG?

Originally Posted by El_Duderito (Post 12697775)
... Hyatt BRG T&Cs seem to have too many loopholes ...

Hyatt guarantees to provide the lowest on-line bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt Hotels available to the general public on the Internet and their T&C are quite specific: The rate you found on booking.com was a “Competitive Rate” in their terms and Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative was wrong.

Reading NJ Up in the Air’s experiences, I don’t know if he gave me a chance to close the deal, but I had act differently. Here is why:

If I like to stay at a Hyatt property on a weekend in December to earn FFN and choose Miami as my place to be, I would stay at HR Peer 66, HR Miami and HR Bonaventure. Your $ 70 Rate at HP MIA was a great catch (Hyatt Daily Rate: $ 149) I had missed (there is still one room available at the time of writing this entry). I had booked one Friday and one Sunday night at Hyatt.com and had asked Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative to make appropriate adjustments to my rate (= $ 56). If s/he had refused to honour my claim, I had asked him/her about he name and made it clear, that one of HP brand feature is to offer daily complimentary continental breakfast. If I was still unsuccessful, I had asked to transfer me to a supervisor. If necessary, Consumer Affairs came into play.

I always like to solve issues and not create difficulties: To book three different reservations for a three night stay I never intend to use under this given circumstances and to ask to book (three separate reservations??) one stay with reference to three reservations I made (please remember: The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Representative will go to the web site where the lower rate was found and ensure it is for the same terms and conditions as the Hyattsummerfieldsuites.com, HyattPlace.com or Hyatt.com rate and for the same length of stay. If the claim qualifies, they will apply the 20% discount.) might spin the wheel to an off topic spot.

Why don’t make it plain & simple?

NJUPINTHEAIR Oct 24, 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper (Post 12700626)
Hyatt guarantees to provide the lowest on-line bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt Hotels available to the general public on the Internet and their T&C are quite specific: The rate you found on booking.com was a “Competitive Rate” in their terms and Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative was wrong.

Reading NJ Up in the Air’s experiences, I don’t know if he gave me a chance to close the deal, but I had act differently. Here is why:

If I like to stay at a Hyatt property on a weekend in December to earn FFN and choose Miami as my place to be, I would stay at HR Peer 66, HR Miami and HR Bonaventure. Your $ 70 Rate at HP MIA was a great catch (Hyatt Daily Rate: $ 149) I had missed (there is still one room available at the time of writing this entry). I had booked one Friday and one Sunday night at Hyatt.com and had asked Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee Representative to make appropriate adjustments to my rate (= $ 56). If s/he had refused to honour my claim, I had asked him/her about he name and made it clear, that one of HP brand feature is to offer daily complimentary continental breakfast. If I was still unsuccessful, I had asked to transfer me to a supervisor. If necessary, Consumer Affairs came into play.

I always like to solve issues and not create difficulties: To book three different reservations for a three night stay I never intend to use under this given circumstances and to ask to book (three separate reservations??) one stay with reference to three reservations I made (please remember: The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee Representative will go to the web site where the lower rate was found and ensure it is for the same terms and conditions as the Hyattsummerfieldsuites.com, HyattPlace.com or Hyatt.com rate and for the same length of stay. If the claim qualifies, they will apply the 20% discount.) might spin the wheel to an off topic spot.

Why don’t make it plain & simple?

Did all. Supervisor was of no help -- essentially reading a script. What it came down to essentially was Hyatt stating that the way the ultimate rate one has to pay is displayed differently -- therefore, Hyatt does not need to accept the claim.

The above position is ludicrous. Booking.com states it is only a room rate, nothing else, although it does note free cont'l breakfast -- a standard feature of all HPs -- so that is not a deal killer either.

The website makes clear that tax is not included in the rate, so not a package rate.

Essentially, they claim that Hyatt calculates the tax, whereas Booking.com does not -- it only states that the tax is not included and what the applicable tax rate will be -- so they said not acceptable -- even though if you were to purchase, the tax is calculated at the end point.

As I have stated above, it essentially boils down to Hyatt claiming that how the rate and tax is displayed is different from the way Hyatt displays it, and therefore they have no obligation to accept the claim. This penultimate statement on behalf of a supervisor at the BRG desk is, at best, ludicrous.

That is why I have requested that the head of the BRG department contact me on Monday and failing resolution I intend to contact those who SS has identified -- many thanks.

As many know on this and other boards, I have been among many of you who counsel to live within the rules, i.e., no phantom stays, no two hotels on one night, etc.

Although we have an obligation to live within the parameters set forth by GP for promotions and earning points, etc., they have an equal and like obligation to be validly guided by those very same rules -- not to make up new rules or to torture existing rules into oblivion. Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with organizations doing the latter.

This they have done with respect to Booking.com rate quotes and this must not be permitted to stand.

Smart Shopper Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am

The only positive aspect I see on these desperate issues you had is this: As Hyatt’s T&C are specific:
  1. A "Competing Rate" is a publicly available and immediately online bookable room-only rate for a Hyatt Hotel that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on www.hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay). There are two notable exceptions*):

2. To qualify for a 20% discount on “Competing Rate” (and to receive stay credit within GP) we have to call either prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on http://www.hyatt.com.

If an associate excludes booking.com - Europe’s leading online hotel reservations agency by room nights sold, is available in 24 languages and offers over 73K hotels in 71 countries (parent company: Priceline) – because the rate is displayed differently s/he is out of touch. Booking.com is very specific what is and is not included in the room rate and lists this immediately below the room type. While it’s habitual that taxes are included in Europe, the contrary is true for North America.

I hope Hyatt’s Consumer Affair’s department will investigate.

*) Package Holidays & packaged Rates are not Room Only Rates. Qualified Discount Rates & Unpublished, Negotiated Rates are not publicly available.