Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not call the PH directly during business hours and explain the situation to them? Sometimes, if they're not already full, they might make an exception.

But you won't do badly at either hotel.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Why not call the PH directly during business hours and explain the situation to them? Sometimes, if they're not already full, they might make an exception.

But you won't do badly at either hotel.
I've got a Hyatt Personal Rep---should I still make the call?They've booked me the GH, but could certainly make the change.
I did a trial booking before calling them that had me offered a "points plus" option for that last night, but my Rep told me those awards were no longer offered.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RayinMaui
Choosing between the two is something that I find VERY difficult.

Park Hyatt Tokyo is an experience. You shouldn't miss it.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo is wonderful. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc all within walking distance.

Last trip, I split my time between them, though I understand that would be quite difficult with one night.

Flip a coin and either one you pick will be great!

have a great time!

Ray
I wound up spending one night at the Grand Hyatt and two nights at the Park Hyatt in January. Both excellent properties. I'm planning to spend a couple of nights at the Grand this time around to experience the amenities that it has to offer. One night isn't enough time!!

So I agree with the OP, both are excellent!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by joanek
Don't really love the idea of picking up and moving mid-stay, but in this case it might be worth it. Who's moved from the PH to the Grand in the same trip?
I am faced with the same dilemma. I plan to burn some NBT's in Tokyo with the two nights at the PHT and one night at the GHT. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice as to how to make the transfer between the two properties? I will be traveling light and am not averse to taking the train(s).
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:58 am

I've got a Hyatt Personal Rep---should I still make the call?They've booked me the GH, but could certainly make the change.
I did a trial booking before calling them that had me offered a "points plus" option for that last night, but my Rep told me those awards were no longer offered.
Unless your rep said they called the hotel directly and asked, you still should. Cheap with Skype!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Unless your rep said they called the hotel directly and asked, you still should. Cheap with Skype!
No luck. So, I'm in for the Grand the entire stay. I wanted to tie something down for the whole stop---it's at the end of a 3 week trip, and I'm thinking I'll be carting around far too much stuff and won't feel like making a move.
(It appears my brother will be at the Westin in Ebisu at the same time, so this will be a closer location than the Park. But that really didn't figure into my thinking)
Old May 29, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Hyatt Platinum status at PH vs. GH Tokyo

Hi, I have 3 NBT nights to use, and am thinking Tokyo. I used to live in Japan, and appreciate "old Japanese style". Loved "Lost in Translation", so have always wanted to just spend a night at the PH.
I will spend most of my time in Shinjuku and Shibuya, as I wont' be doing too much sightseeing--just shopping, eating, wandering around, and going out in Shinjuku Ni-Chome at night .
I surely don't mind the 10-15 minute walk to Shinjuku Station, though most of the "Shinjuku" I'm looking for (shopping, etc) is on the other side of the station, right?
My questions:
1) Is staying at the PH Tokyo as a Hyatt Platinum essentially the same as no status (likely no upgrade, no use of spa, no breakfast)? I have gotten quite interesting benefits at some hotels (lounge access, gym access) and absolutely nothing at others--which is, I think, what I'm supposed to get (!)
2) Is there any benefit to staying at the GH Tokyo instead as a Plat? (As in, someone mentioned spa is free, etc) I would prefer not to split my nights and move too much, as I will be doing a long trip after this (1N each in BKK and SIN before an 11-day Australia trip).
3) I will probably take the Keisei slow train to Nippori and then the Yamanote line to Shinjuku, though will check and see how much faster the NEX is. It's about half the price, for maybe 30-45 minutes more, IIRC. But it's been a while!
Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Old May 29, 2010, 10:54 am

Staying at the PH Tokyo as a Plat does not get you anything extra. I don't know about the GH.

The Keisei Limited Express to Nippori and then the Yamanote line will cost about Y1200. The N'Ex to Shinjuku using the JR "N'Ex/Suica" deal (see the Japan forum for more info) will cost about Y1500.

Many of the department stores (Keio, Odakyu) and electronics (Yodobashi, Sofbank) that are at the station are on the same side of Shinjuku as the Park Hyatt. Lumine is on top of the station, and Takashimaya/Tokyu Hands are on the east side.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:11 am

No luck. So, I'm in for the Grand the entire stay. I wanted to tie something down for the whole stop---it's at the end of a 3 week trip, and I'm thinking I'll be carting around far too much stuff and won't feel like making a move.
(It appears my brother will be at the Westin in Ebisu at the same time, so this will be a closer location than the Park. But that really didn't figure into my thinking)

My update: I ended up at the PH for the entire stay...and three extra days added at the start of my trip (added the days after canceling Bangkok, and was amazed to find the free nights available!)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:58 pm
DH

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Japan next summer with the family and considering PH, GH, Conrad and Hilton. Does PH give breakfast to all 4 quests (2 adults & 2 children)? At other properties, I will get lounge/club access as Diamond in both programs so we will be all covered.

Any inputs/suggestions for family vacation perspective? BTW my kids will be 10 and 8 next summer.

Thanks,
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by DH
I'm planning to visit Japan next summer with the family and considering PH, GH, Conrad and Hilton. Does PH give breakfast to all 4 quests (2 adults & 2 children)? At other properties, I will get lounge/club access as Diamond in both programs so we will be all covered.

Any inputs/suggestions for family vacation perspective? BTW my kids will be 10 and 8 next summer.
I've stayed in two, Conrad and Park Hyatt. I love the Park Hyatt. It's very sophisticated, yet very comfortable. However, with children, I'd prefer the Conrad. There are so many varieties of transportation options right there which is not the case for the Park Hyatt. I think kids would enjoy the monorail from the Conrad as well as the boat trip. You get to the boat by walking thru the adjacent large Japanese garden. Check out the Hilton forum for details. jdiver in particularly has written extensively about all of this.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by DH

Regarding breakfast at the PH, you will get breakfast for all registered guests as a Diamond member. The PH only allows three guests per room or suite (of any category), so you most likely would have to book two rooms (They have some corner rooms that can be connected with standard twin bedded rooms).

I cannot comment about the Hilton or Conrad, but I agree that there are probably other hotels that your kids would enjoy more than the PH. In my opinion, the Grand Hyatt is more "kid friendly" than the Park Hyatt. There are more activities that would interest children in the vicinity of the GH, and it would probably be nice to have access to a lounge if the kids wanted to have a snack, etc...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by DH
Hi,

Thanks,
Official T&Cs call for free breakfast up to 4 for all people registered (meaning that you made a reservation & pay for occupancy for all) in 1 room.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
This thread was bumped at a very good time for me. We are going to Tokyo in late March for Sakura. Our flight arrives into HND at 5:00am (NH from LAX). We can spend an hour enjoying the facilities of the ANA arrival lounge after we land.

Which hotel would you pick for an early morning arrival? I'm thinking the GH may be preferable because if our room isn't ready for an 8am check-in, at least we can use the Grand Club for a long breakfast. I assume at both hotels, we can use the health club if our room isn't ready for early check-in.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
This thread was bumped at a very good time for me. We are going to Tokyo in late March for Sakura. Our flight arrives into HND at 5:00am (NH from LAX). We can spend an hour enjoying the facilities of the ANA arrival lounge after we land.

Which hotel would you pick for an early morning arrival? I'm thinking the GH may be preferable because if our room isn't ready for an 8am check-in, at least we can use the Grand Club for a long breakfast. I assume at both hotels, we can use the health club if our room isn't ready for early check-in.

Any thoughts?
Late March is, unfortunately, probably too early for Sakura (cherry blossoms) in Tokyo.

I think you should email each of the hotels with your dates and ask them and then take the replies into consideration in your decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.