Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Big Welcome - New Gold Passport Enhancements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold

Just spoke to Hyatt at the Diamond reservation line and they told me about the new promotion starting 4/2/09 called "The Big Welcome". A complete revamping of the Gold passport Program. To include electronic upgrade suite certificate. No capacity controls on free nights. And the return of faster free nights in september will happen. If anyone knows more please chime in.

stinkycop - I apologize for hijacking your post but thought that this is big enough an announcement to post the details in the first post of the thread. peteropny - co-moderator - Hyatt

Announcement link can be found here - http://www.goldpassport.com/gp/en/be...bigwelcome.jsp

Enhanced Hyatt Gold Passport Membership Benefits

We are excited to announce new Hyatt Gold Passport benefits designed to make your Hyatt stays even more rewarding. Members are now welcome to any available standard room when booking a free night award with no blackout dates. Plus, experience even more benefits upon achieving elite status including: best room available, complimentary Internet access, and an exclusive check-in area. This is all part of Hyatt’s commitment to making our members feel more than welcome.

Gold Membership

Enjoy exclusive privileges and benefits starting with your very first stay.

Benefits:
Earn five Hyatt Gold Passport points for every eligible dollar spent at Hyatt locations worldwide
Redeem points for exciting rewards including free nights with no blackout dates – you’re welcome to any available standard room (new)
Convert your points to miles for travel with over 30 participating Travel Partners
Request a 2:00 p.m. late check out, subject to availability

Platinum Membership

After 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights, you will enjoy an automatic upgrade to Platinum membership that lets you experience benefits and rewards beyond Gold membership.

Benefits:
Achieve rewards faster with a 15% point bonus on each stay
Enjoy the best room available within the category booked (new)
Receive your requested bed type at check-in 1
Stay connected with complimentary Internet access (new)
Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members 2 (new)
Book reservations through an exclusive Platinum line
Receive a special award after every third stay offering a choice of bonus points, food and beverage amenities, room upgrades and more

Diamond Membership

After 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights, you will experience the highest level of membership and have access to our most generous benefits and awards.

Benefits:
Achieve rewards even faster with a 30% point bonus on each stay
Enjoy the best room available including Regency Club™ or Grand Club™ rooms 3 (new)
Receive exclusive access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge featuring complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres. Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge 4
Treat yourself to a suite upgrade four times annually on paid room nights 5 (new)
Receive a special welcome point bonus or food and beverage amenity during each stay
Receive your requested bed type at check-in 1
Stay connected with complimentary Internet access (new)
Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members 2 (new)
Ensure a room is always available with our 72-hour guarantee 6
Book reservations through an exclusive Diamond line
Terms and Conditions

1 Request must be made at time of reservation

2 Not available at Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites

3 Excludes suites

4 During periods of high demand access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge may not be available; therefore, complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest and 2,500 bonus points will be given. Not available at Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites

5 Suite upgrade awards valid on stays of seven nights or less; excludes Premier, Presidential and Diplomatic Suites. Not available at Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites

6 Guarantee not valid at Hyatt resorts or during extraordinary room demand

Last edited by Markie; Apr 3, 2009 at 1:56 am
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by stinkycop
Just spoke to Hyatt at the Diamond reservation line and they told me about the new promotion starting 4/2/09 called "The Big Welcome". A complete revamping of the Gold passport Program. To include electronic upgrade suite certificate. No capacity controls on free nights. And the return of faster free nights in september will happen. If anyone knows more please chime in.

No capacity controls on free nights are good. Does the same apply to FFN says? Maybe not.

I do not care for the electronic upgrade suit certificate as it is pretty much useless unless it is guranteered. Many properties require to pay a higher rate to use this cert.

Return of FFN is welcome. But what we need is good bonus point promotion for summer, not fall. Since right now, there is no incentive to stay more for those who have finished 20K bonus promotion.

Last edited by Fulkerson; Mar 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
I spoke to a Platinum rep today regarding a missing points matter, and he started telling me as well about their BIG DEAL promo that they are about to unveil. The phone reps were attending training sessions starting today. He could/would not reveal much more than indicated above, he mostly talked about easing the rules on award stays.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:53 pm

Wow, good news!!!! No more capacity controls on awards stays?!?!?!? My GP points just got more valuable.....................................altho ugh I'm sure there will be an upcoming devaluation of those pts to get them right back where they were. Hopefully the devaluation doesn't occur at the same time as the "enhancement".

I had been wondering though if/when Hyatt would get rid of the capacity controls on awards. With Hilton and Marriott recently joining SPG to offer no capacity controls, there must be pressure on Hyatt (and IC) to match this benefit.

I wonder what the other changes to the program will be? Let's hope the new electronic Suite upgrade cert will be a little more useful than the current paper Suite upgrade cert.

Last edited by gregorygrady; Mar 30, 2009 at 7:08 pm
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:17 pm

FWIW, here's a news release from the last time Hyatt revamped the GP program in June 2000:

Hyatt is re-launching its Gold Passport frequent guest program and offering bonus miles and points for 3 or more stays.

Program enhancements include the following:

o The elimination of award blackout dates - Gold Passport members will be able to redeem awards without the restrictions of blackout dates.

o Passport Plus Awards for Platinum and Diamond elite level members - Platinum and Diamond level members will be able to redeem a hotel award for any available room, using "Passport Plus" awards which require additional points and are not subject to capacity controls.

o New Award Structure - With the new award structure, the minimum drops to 5,000 points at select hotels. The new award structure also creates categories of hotels, and the amount of points needed for a free night at a particular hotel now depends on which category the hotel is in. Point redemption categories are 5,000, 8,000, 12,000 and 15,000. As of June 1, 2000, full details and category listings will be available on www.goldpassport.com.

o Guaranteed Availability for Diamond Members - Diamond members will be assured of a room when they give at least 72 hours advance notice.

o No Point Expiration - Points will not expire if members stay once at a Hyatt hotel in a calendar year.

o Airline Miles Award Bonus - When a Gold Passport member converts 60,000 Gold Passport points to airline miles they will receive 20,000 airline miles with Gold Passport's three points to one mile conversion, plus a 5,000 mile bonus for a total of 25,000 miles - enough for a free flight on most airlines.

To promote the changes, Gold Passport members will earn bonus points or airline bonus miles from June 1 through August 31, 2000. Beginning with their third stay, members can earn either 5,000 bonus points or 3,000 bonus miles per stay (bonuses will be awarded to members on their 3rd through 7th stay during the promotion period). If they choose Gold Passport points for their stays, they earn a maximum of 25,000 bonus points. Or if they choose miles for their stays, they can earn up to 15,000 bonus miles with any of 24 airlines. These bonuses are in addition to the normal Gold Passport points or standard miles Gold Passport members can earn on each stay.

Additionally, Gold Passport members will be upgraded to Platinum status after their 3rd stay during the promotional period.
1. I guess Passport Plus awards for Diamonds and Plats will go the way of the dodo. I wonder if they will be replaced with anything?

2. I hope they don't use this time to make a "new award structure" and change the points required per night at the hotels.

3. I certainly wouldn't mind if they "promote" these new changes like they promoted the last change: 5000 bonus GP pts per stay for the 3rd-7th stay. So 7 stays would net you 25k bonus pts minimum!!!! That's pretty rich, although I guess it's roughly the same as the current Stay 8 nights, Get 20k promo (or even less rich if you normally stay more than one night at a time per stay).
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a little concerned about any kind of ahem enhancement however the fact that Hyatt revised redemption only once (and not too dramatically) since 2000 is impressive.

Of all hotel or airline programs I trust GP the most (keep fingers crossed)

One thing I would like to see though is some sort of discount on multinight awards.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:32 pm

I would honestly love to see some changes in the awarding of bonus points/stays. I've had issues on nearly every one of my stays that had a promo code about getting the proper bonuses credited. It's really a waste of my time and the reps' time as well when I have to call in for all my stays.

And the website needs major help. The date selection calendar is a mess, finding if a hotel exists in "XYZ" is cumbersome, and the site itself is S L O W.

Once you get to the individual hotel's page though, there is always a ton of info, directions/public transport info, ample pictures, etc. I'd like to see more even more detailed room type descriptions and floor plans if possible.

Aside from that, I'm really happy with the Gold Passport program after stints as an elite at Hilton, SPG, and Marriott. Anyway, I'll still be looking forward to the release of the details of the new promotion along with everyone else.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:15 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I would honestly love to see some changes in the awarding of bonus points/stays. I've had issues on nearly every one of my stays that had a promo code about getting the proper bonuses credited. It's really a waste of my time and the reps' time as well when I have to call in for all my stays.

And the website needs major help. The date selection calendar is a mess, finding if a hotel exists in "XYZ" is cumbersome, and the site itself is S L O W.

Hyatt's IT has always been the WORST of any of the major (and maybe not so major) hotel chains. There have been tons of comments and complaints on this board about that. To balance that out though, their customer service representatives are excellent.

Maybe this is something that can be addressed at the Hyatt DO next month?

Anyway, I'm glad to see that there will be no more capacity controls for award rooms (though to be truthful, it really hasn't been an issue for me in the past). I'm just concerned like some of the other posters that it will also come with increased redemption rates...
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Red face Spooked rather than skeptical

I must admit that this partial (?) news spooks me a little, especially since this is has been out a day or so, but we haven't heard from any of the usual suspects (I don't mean Karen).

On the one hand, it sounds like things will be more generous. On the other, major revamps never happen without an "enhancement" (aka takeaway). On the other hand again, why would there be a large restructuring with higher point requirements - even only at the high end - in the eye of the worldwide recession and nadir of hotel occupancy*?

Absent any more information at this point, has anyone participated in any recent focus group or long survey, and do you want to talk about it? And as for alignment with major competitors, the only one I know about is Hilton, and their only recent major change was to shift back to the calendar year earning period. Otherwise, comparing these two chains' point values and structures always seems like going back to algebra, so I can't read if there's reason for Hyatt to think that Gold Passport's due for a realignment.

(* As tangible evidence of the recession's effect on the two chains' market, I would cite the wide opening of the FFN redemption and its two-month extension, and that Hilton's Point Stretchers have really spread this spring. Or just look at the parking lots, lobby marquis and ballrooms.)
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Now, about the website...

All that said, I really would welcome a web reservation revamp.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
tighten up

Originally Posted by azepine00
I am a little concerned about any kind of ahem enhancement however the fact that Hyatt revised redemption only once (and not too dramatically) since 2000 is impressive.

Of all hotel or airline programs I trust GP the most (keep fingers crossed)

One thing I would like to see though is some sort of discount on multinight awards.
I cant really see , that Hyatt would tighten up their GP programm in this kind of time. They would loose "the good" customers all the way.
I think they will fire up the programm for a limited time or with certain limited promos... and if numbers go up , they can re-pull the good benefits at all time.
But for now their main issue has to be ': GET the customers in the hotel!!!!

nothing else!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Firewind
On the one hand, it sounds like things will be more generous. On the other, major revamps never happen without an "enhancement" (aka takeaway). On the other hand again, why would there be a large restructuring with higher point requirements - even only at the high end - in the eye of the worldwide recession and nadir of hotel occupancy*?

Absent any more information at this point, has anyone participated in any recent focus group or long survey, and do you want to talk about it? And as for alignment with major competitors, the only one I know about is Hilton, and their only recent major change was to shift back to the calendar year earning period. Otherwise, comparing these two chains' point values and structures always seems like going back to algebra, so I can't read if there's reason for Hyatt to think that Gold Passport's due for a realignment.

(* As tangible evidence of the recession's effect on the two chains' market, I would cite the wide opening of the FFN redemption and its two-month extension, and that Hilton's Point Stretchers have really spread this spring. Or just look at the parking lots, lobby marquis and ballrooms.)
I am a bit concerned also (usual disclaimer that I have no "inside" information) but do remember the "long" survey that "paid" 20k points back oh 4-5 months ago. My advice to people would be to book wanted awards at current points quickly in anticipation. If it "improves" you can always rebook.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
maybe i'm just paranoid but i've yet to see a frequent traveler program make changes or enhancements for the better overall of the program

sure there is a small thing done that is promoted heavily but overall these changes usually are down grades
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I'm in the camp that finds it hard to believe that Hyatt will raise the points requirements for stays in this economic climate. In early March, when Starwood came out with their category changes for this year, the vast majority involved hotels being downgraded (requiring fewer points per award stay).
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
^ Me too. Something like 5th night Free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.