Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Salt Lake City / Sandy UT - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Three-night stay, March 2009

I was on foot. The walk was about a mile from the Trax (light rail) station, past the Sandy, UT municipal city center, including City Hall. There was a strip mall on the way, with a couple of restaurants and a big Target store. That mall was on South State Street, the main artery in the area. On that particular segment, there wasn’t much else of interest, though there’s a big mall about a half mile further south and the convention center about a half mile north. Without a car, the hotel itself has a middle-of-nowhere feel…aside from the fact that the interstate is about 20 yards away.

Arrival and Grounds
Hotel is close-to-new. It looks like the landscaping isn’t finished yet. The free parking lot was nearly empty; occupancy was low. Monday morning, I didn’t see any other guests.

Spacious and open lobby, with front desk in the middle. Living room with fireplace flows into breakfast area. I was promptly checked in by a polite and seemingly competent young lady. There’s a snack shop adjacent to the front desk. I ended up back there one evening when I didn’t have my room made up, ran out of in-room coffee and had to buy some from the snack shop. $2.

No upgrade. No mention of Diamond status.

Room
Is “Studio suite” an oxymoron?
Good use of space. Divided into four quadrants: (clockwise from door) kitchen, living room with desk, bedroom, bathroom. All pictures on the website, except one, are of considerably larger rooms than I had.

Kitchen was great. Multi-burner “glass” top stove, full-sized refrigerator, real sink, plenty of utensils, pots and pans, dishwasher and small counter/table. Ample space.

Living room was a couch aimed at a bookcase/television. TV could be rotated to face bedroom. (I don’t watch TV, so no further info on this.) Small desk with decent chair. High window with shutters that wouldn’t completely block light for daytime sleeping.

Bedroom had full drapes that did block light pretty well. My room overlooked the freeway, but was reasonably (not completely!) quiet.

Bathroom was just fine. I would note that the water was soft, soft, soft. Pack sandpaper or steel wool to get the soap off. Oversized shower head delivered low, but acceptable, water pressure. Temperature control fine. Closet is in the bathroom.

Other Facilities
Good gym with new, state-of-the-art equipment. Life Fitness. 2 Ellipticals, 3 T-Mills, 2 bikes. “Tons” of weights. Temperature control actually worked! Looked out over the pool area, which I never visited. Big outdoor patio with another fireplace.
Lots of meeting space. Heck, just lots of space, period. Nothing felt cramped.
Two computers in the ‘business center’. Printer worked, but the computers rebooted about every ten minutes.

Miscellany
Free wifi worked fine.
There was also a shuttle that no one told me about that works a five mile radius from the hotel. Hotel staff knew I was walking to and from work – 12 miles a day – but didn’t think to mention the shuttle.

Breakfast
I wasn’t around for evening reception, so I can only comment on breakfast. On Saturday and Sunday, there was melon, apples, cereal, breads, butter, peanut butter, syrup, sugar-free syrup, cream cheese, juice. In the steam trays, that pink ground up meat stuff (sorry, I’m vegetarian, so I don’t know its name) french toast, pre-formed yellow egg things (again). So, for vegetarians, it’s just apples and melon. On Monday, the apples and melon weren’t available. Hungry, hungry, hungry, and a mile or more to the nearest restaurant serving breakfast. Bummer. Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas available during breakfast hours only.

So, would I go back? Sure…until the Salt Lake City Hyatt Place is open. The HP is just going to be in a better location for the carless.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Staying at the Hyatt Summerfield in Salt Lake City and am very impressed with the new design. It has the same design elements as the HP with the same L shaped couch, with a very functional kitchen with stainless steal microwave, dishwasher, and fridge and a smooth cook top and marble counters and a nice dark hardwood floor. Two flat screen TVs (smaller than the HP), but the one in the bedroom hangs on the wall and is close to the bed so a good size.

The bathroom is very large and includes and has the closet in the same enclosed space. It has a large stand-up shower with a window looking back on the sink area. The lobby area is also very modern and open.

If there was a Summerfield option of this high quality in another city, I'd certainly strongly consider. Hopefully Hyatt finds some money to redo the old properties which I was never that impressed with.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Staying at the Hyatt Summerfield in Salt Lake City and am very impressed with the new design.
If there was a Summerfield option of this high quality in another city, I'd certainly strongly consider. Hopefully Hyatt finds some money to redo the old properties which I was never that impressed with.
I agree. Shortly after my stay in Sandy (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html) I spent a weekend at the SS in Pleasanton, CA. What a difference! Sandy had real, modern cooktops and a full-sized refrigerator/Pleasanton had a funky old electric/coil thing and a mini-fridge. Pleasanton was an outdoor corridor (a la "motel") arrangement. Pleasanton had a cobbled-together fitness room with home-use (not gym-quality) equipment. Clearly, this was a conversion.

Pleasanton also made me sign a declaration that I would not have a party.

Next-up: Denver Tech Center Summerfield Suites in early May.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Agree with 365 - this is a perfectly good implementation of the HP / SS model.

Also true - water is really soft, so be prepared for it when you shower.

Only downside - beds and sheets aren't great, but drive yourself to exhaustion and out you go.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt, *wood, DL, UA, the Anywhere pass
I've recommended this hotel to my friends for SLC-based ski trips. A car will give you WAY more access to the mountains and surrounding area; however, you could try to hook into the UTA bus line that takes you up to Big Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude, Brighton) or to Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta, Snowbird).

This Sandy location is pretty suburban, though. If you want to stay where you have walkable access to evening entertainment or restaurants, I'd recommend their sister hotel, the Downtown SLC Hyatt Place. If you typically are too tired to go out after a hard day of skiing or boarding, or you just want to relax in your room, then the Sandy SS could be a good option.

I've stayed in a studio and a one-bedroom at the SS during NBT. There was plenty of room for little ol' me and probably would be enough room to comfortably fit a few more folks. Both rooms had a nice kitchen and sitting area. The lobby/dining area of the hotel is spacious, yet comfortable--a perfectly fine place to relax during breakfast.

BTW In Utah, and presumably at the Sandy SS, the water is actually hard. http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/characteristics.html
(Minerals build up quite quickly on Utah faucets.)

Last edited by hopabout; Feb 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
I stayed at the SS in Sandy Utah last night for a quick overnight and I was *very* impressed. Got there quite late, so missed the reception, but the customer service checking in was exceptional. Also liked their rather ecclectic food options in the pantry. The room was fantastic -- same mod-retro styling as HP, comfy couch, awesome kitchen. I was upgraded as a Diamond (but did have to name-drop my Diamond status.)

Breakfast was pretty decent -- actual scrambled eggs, no egg pucks. Everything was brand new in the place. Gym looked decent, as did pool.

Overall, the place was impressive, and not just for the price ($90). I wish I could have stayed longer. Wish it was up by the Airport... but the HP up there is also awesome....
Old May 26, 2010, 6:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Alumino
I was upgraded as a Diamond (but did have to name-drop my Diamond status.)
Anyone else with any reviews or thoughts on this property? May be staying here soon and am interested in other Diamond experiences, especially type of 'upgrade' (studio -> 1br or 2br?).

The pictures make it look like it's the standard HSS layout but with some nicer touches like showers with doors.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
on a recent one nite stay, had a studio - very nicely done, but IMO smaller than others in which I have stayed. would not want to be in that room with more than one person!

3 weeks later returned for a 5 nite stay, and was upgraded to a 1 BR. Still seemed on the small side, but definitely could handle 2 - 3 people.

one note on the kitchens - only the 2BR has an actual oven, others are micro only!

hotel still looks new, well maintained with friendly staff. lots of easy access parking. very nice lobby with fireplace. 2nd lobby area by computers. outdoor hot tub (still open), outdoor pool (not). large dining area. brekkie above average, never was there in the evening. many restaurants and shopping in easy driving distance, nothing in easy walking distance.

quite nice stay, will absolutely return!

note: a fitness program is run out of the hotel. I did not have any issues or problems, but I believe they may use the gym during the day. it was available in the evening, and, as earlier posted, is quite nice.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

another great stay

thought I'd post since there hasn't been any current reviews in quite some time.

have stayed here probably six times this year. lately getting very good my elite rates. have always been upgraded to at least one bedroom suite (usually by asking that two tv would be nice). this last time mgr Tyler graciously upgraded us to 2 bedroom since we were traveling w daughter and extra room & bath was a welcome treat. typical hh breakfast w made to order omlettes. weekday evening com bevs & nibbles though we weren't around during the time offered. comp shuttle for immediate area (movies, dining & mall) .

would definitely recommend this hi to anyone traveling to this area.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Almost empty during Covid

On a matress run. Easy 5 min off/on to the Interstate. I would guess only about 20% full. All was very nice, but with Covid not much breakfast selection. A rather large hotel, and parking is spread about - but again due to covid, few parking spaces taken. Most restaurants, etc. are about a 10-15 minute walk away - but easy drive. I am sort of new to Hyatt chain, but do think they are quite nice. Just hope Covid goes away so I can take advantage of my soon to be Globalist status.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:26 am

Hyatt House Sandy, UT

Recently had a 1 day stay booked with points. Got an email that I was charged a $40 “accommodation fee.” Is this legit?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:47 am

A look at future dates shows no "Accommodation Fee" specified for either points or cash booking. I would simply start by contacting the hotel directly to get the charge removed or at least see what they think the charge is for.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:03 pm

Stayed here recently for a ski trip to Alta and Snowbird.

It's an older property but decently maintained. Staff was okay. Breakfast not that great but on par with every other Hyatt House.

Ask for an odd numbered room - those face the East/Mountains/courtyard. Even numbered rooms face the interstate and the noise is substantial.

Location for Alta / Snowbird is pretty great and there's a lot of stores and restaurants in the area. It's also a block or so from the convention center.

Overall I think I prefer the Hyatt Place Cottonwood but their rates are a bit higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.