Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Paris Madeleine REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 8, 2000, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I tried to do a search like a good little Flyertalker.It didnt come up with anything so i am wondering about any experiences with this hotelI spoke to several hyatt employees and they said the rooms are REALLY tiny.Is it in a good position. i stayed at Westin Elysees before it became a sofitel. it was a wonderful position and the room was nice. I also stayed at the hilton but found it a little out of the shopping area.i dont want to go backwards so any advise would be good otherwise ill stay at one of those 2 again.

EDIT: There are mentions of this property in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html thread particularly some questions as to which property to choose.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 8, 2000, 4:41 pm

I've never stayed at the Hyatt Madeleine (prefer the location of the Grand or the Scribe) so can't comment on the rooms.

The location, however, is very, very good -- just a few steps from boutiques in the Madeleine/St Honor area, and no more than a 5-minute walk to the Printemps and Galleries Lafayette department stores. Unlike the Hilton (I agree -- Hilton's location is awful unless you want to stare at the Eiffel Tower for 4 days), the Hyatt is in an area chock-full of shops and restaurants.

Places to check out near the Hyatt: In the Madeleine, Fauchon for incredible take-out food. Between Madeleine and Opra on rue Vignon, La Ferme St-Hubert for the most unbelieveable grilled ham and cheese sandwich (called a croque-monsieur) that you will ever, ever have. On rue Tronchet near Madeleine, duck into a tiny shop called La Carpe for some of the most wonderful kitchen gadgets and supplies.

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited 12-11-2000).]
Old Dec 8, 2000, 7:50 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Yes the rooms are small and pricey, but nice. The room reminded me more of the size rooms in Japan. The whole hotel is very small. It was a nice stay but at over $300 bucks a night it better be.
Old Dec 9, 2000, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Shhhh... I have stayed here many times, great property. Please don't tell anyone about it, sometimes it is already hard to book certain dates. I have used Hyatt Platinum status to get rooms here. Great location, service, modern rooms (standard rooms small, others are great). Easy walk to Harry's. Waiting for Hyatt to open Park Hyatt at Vendome.

If you are into shopping, each room has (or the desk will give you) a very large, sturdy shopping bag to serve as an extra carry-on to bring your goods home.
------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 12-10-2000).]
Old Dec 10, 2000, 1:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I like the hotel - good location, but the rooms can be small.

I found the staff friendly enough.
Old Dec 11, 2000, 8:50 pm
SST

Ha Ha Ha World20!!!! Too late; about a year after the hotel opened, the days of reasonably priced rooms ended, and I've yet to see a sale, ever.

Seriously, this is a nice hotel. The smaller rooms are a bit claustraphobic, but they are nicely furnished, and the staff is helpful and extremely pleasant. The steam room is HUGE, you could have a meeting in it. We've chosen it twice in the past few years, after getting a comp there for 3 nights on the original Night-After-Nights awards (don't even THINK about getting a free night anymore). On my last two trips, the best I could get quoted was 300+ US$/night, and I'm afraid we've moved on to cheaper digs. But we miss the place.

The location is pretty nice, too.
Old Apr 21, 2001, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Madeleine

Can someone explain why this property is so expensive? I spend a few night at this property last fall and found it to be very nice. I had a large room that faced the road and enjoyed my stay. However, when I went to make a reservation for May the least expensive room was 3000.00 French Francs ~$400/night. The property is also exempt from N-A-N certificates. I checked to see if I could use points and was told that the property wanted a "premium" and it would cost 24,000 points/night. No 2 for 1 time using airline certificates ether. Does anyone know how to get a good rate at this property?
Old Apr 21, 2001, 9:56 am

Its a small, popular property with seldom any "good" rates. I am currently staying at this property (weekend) on a 2300FRF rate from our corporate travel agent. They have a high occupancy rate with high room rates.

How about Madrid? The Hyatt Villa Magna accepts the 2 for 1 airline coupons.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old Apr 21, 2001, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I too have unsuccessfully attempted to book stays at this property. World20--what is there about it that makes it great? I'm a Diamond, and my company also has a 2300 Ffr rate-- If I ever decided to go for it, what can I expect as far as upgrades or service? On my recent trips to Paris, I have been staying (as a Platinum) at the Starwood hotels in Paris, and have been treated quite well. From the website it looks quite nice, but we all know that looks can be deceiving, and that some Paris hotel rooms have the tendency to be quite 'cozy'. I'd be interested to hear about others experiences here, since I will probably be back in Paris before the fall.
Old Apr 21, 2001, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
mauld,

As a diamond you will get up graded to a large room. The room is spacious and very nicely appointed. You will enjoy the room very much. Try and get a room on the highest floor possible to get a view. The large rooms face the street, but I did not notice any traffic. Evidently the rooms that face the inside are quite small. The hotel is very clean and upscale. There is a complimentary european style (meat & cheese) continental breakfast, which has some nice french breads and pastries. The property small but very nice.
Old Apr 22, 2001, 1:15 am

Madeliene - I believe the complimentary breakfast is only if you are Diamond status. Also, room upgrades are not always available. Some of the inside courtyard rooms are small, a few are very large (end of the hall to the right leaving the elevator).

I have also stayed at the Westin Versailles which is also very nice with very good service, good for a weekend, but not convenient to Paris business. I have not stayed at the Sheraton. Hilton at Eiffel tower is OK, big, impersonal, and always crowded with groups.
Old Apr 22, 2001, 12:09 pm

I spent a night using my firm's corporate rate (also around FF 2,300) at the Madeleine in late February. Perhaps due to the rate, I didn't get a room that faced the street - the receptionist did advise that those rooms are more expensive and a little bigger.

Nonetheless, the room that I got - facing the courtyard, on the right hand side after exiting the elevator - was pretty decent in size. It had a big bed (not king, maybe queen?), a desk, 25" TV, above-average bathroom (in terms of size), and a one-person sofa. The room was very modern-looking, nice furniture, and they even give you a free bottle of Evian water and some sweets. Everything was very clean and of high quality. I had a good time staying there - definitely a cozy feeling due to the size of the hotel.

Nonetheless, does this property warrant the high rate that "Mad4Miles" noted? IMHO, NO. Sure, the rooms are clean and nice, but if I were paying $300 - $400 for a hotel room, I would expect more than just a nice/clean room.

Over the past several months, I've stayed at quite a few upscale Hyatt's around the world, and I can unequivocally say that the Hyatt Regency Madeleine is not worth that much money. When I'm paying $300+ for a room, I'm expecting something special -

Examples:

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong - nice room with a fantastic view of the Victoria Harbor. The view at night itself warrants the additional $$. Furthermore, the lobby is absolutely awesome. It also has a huge outdoor pool with a view of Kowloon and Central. DVD player in the room. Awesome Regency Club. And finally, the availability of several fine restaurants is yet another plus. This hotel certainly deserves the "Grand" in its name.

Park Hyatt Tokyo - spacious room with a great view of the Tokyo skyline (the huge windows allow you to see the Tokyo Tower, the Meiji Shrine, and Mount Fuji on a clear day). Having a meal at the New York Grill was an amazing experience. The staff were extremely polite and courteous - I really felt that everybody was going out of his/her way to make my stay as pleasant as possible. Nice pool/gym on the 45th(?) floor, and again, with a view of the city.

Grand Hyatt Shanghai - looking at the Bund from 80 floors up was quite an experience. Inside the hotel, looking down (or up) 30 floors at the atrium was yet another experience. The 3-level massage from the shower was cool. The pool/spa area is something that you don't want to miss. Oh yeah, an awesome Regency Club.

The examples from above are just some of the "specials" that I'm referring to. Madeleine has nothing other than a nice/clean room. It has a small gym (no pool) but it's at the basement; only 1 restaurant that doesn't seem too attractive; location is pretty close to some of the major tourist areas in Paris (Louvre, Place de la Concorde, Opera, etc.), but it's certainly not in a "prime" location; no views - even with a room facing the street, what's there to see? A few pedestrians and some cars passing by? Or the ugly building across the street? The area around the hotel feels dead... The staff did nothing other than checking me in and out of my room (in contrast to Park Hyatt Tokyo, whose staff walked me to my room and showed me all of the various gadgets - light and automatic curtain switches, shower massage functions, laser disc player, etc.). No separate bath and shower. There's not even a drive way - if you arrive by car, you'll have to park next to the curb.

All in all, Madeleine is a decent place to stay but not worth the $300-$400. I'm not familiar with hotels in Paris, but for that amount of money, I'm sure you can find another hotel that's better. Take your money and spend it at any of the hotels that I mentioned above. You won't regret it.
Old Apr 22, 2001, 1:29 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I stayed there last year (paid for the room) and certainly the room was clean and staff friendly -- but it was the smallest Hyatt room I have ever seen -- I had a courtyard view. The breakfast was included. It was fine but I agree the price was questionable, but it is, perhaps, Hyatt's smallest hotel and the only one in central Paris. BTW i was quite happy with the airport property, but it is really isolated and without a car you are really stuck.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The Madeleine should really be a Park Hyatt as the rates are more to that grade than a Regency. However the owner of the hotel hsa recently finished negotiating a deal to open a Park Hyatt opposite the Ritz at Place Vendome. Expect higher rates at this hotel when it opens next year!
Old Apr 23, 2001, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I've recently stayed a week-end at the Hyatt Regency Madeleine and I found it overpriced. Although it is a beautiful hotel and it could be part of the Small luxury hotel chain, there are better hotels in Paris with a better value. As I am also Silver Member in Marriott Rewards, I stayed at the Paris Marriott and I found that property to be far superior in location and value. I was given a fine room in the Marriott and would recommend it to everyone.

Muerz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.