Hyatt Maui or Kauai

Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:57 pm

Just returned from Hyatt Kauai and Maui (stayed at Marriott Ocean Club, are owners there, but have stayed at Hyatt in the past which is next door and also visited on this trip). Both are beautiful properties, but the Kauai property is probably the best Hyatt anywhere imo. Send me a PM if you want for some great pics of the grounds. To me there is no comparison.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I realize this is FT but shouldn't the by far primary reason to visit an island be the island itself, not a resort ? (maybe not if one is a stay in the resort type person)
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Sweet Willie...
I agree that the island should be the main focus for the vacation and not the resort. I was asking since my family LOVES Kauai (3 consecutive annual visits in December -- '09 already booked to make 4). First 2 visits didn't stay at Hyatt though visited the property and finally stayed for 2 days on FF award this time (in addition to 1 night at beginning of trip but I don't count that 12 hr stays). Have mixed feelings about trying Maui and since we have some points I'd like to use for Hyatt wanted to get feedback on both properties. To get a feel of the island we split our trip between princeville and poipu.
And to the poster who said Kee'e Beach isn't advisable because of riptides in winter our family has snorkeled there 2 years in a row in December and as long as you stay away from the inflow/ out behind openings from reef you're fine.
Thanks everyone.
Carolyn
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:33 pm

If you compare resorts its Kauai hands down. We have been staying at the Maui hyatt for the last 5 years but tried Kauai this year. We won't be returning to Maui Hyatt after our exceptional stay in Kauai and past problems with Maui and their non upgrades for diamonds when they are still selling RC rooms online. Kauai is twice the hotel that Maui is.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, CO Plat, NW Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Dia
Agree that resort compare...Kauai wins! Not even a contest. As for the islands, I prefer Kauai because it is less commercial than Maui. It's a preference. I have some great book recommendations if anyone is traveling there and is interested. While Frommers and Foders are typically fine, the ones I'm talking about are written by locals. I was able to find hidden pools in Maui and some of the best bread and shaved ice on the planet based on their info.

Either place you choose, you'll be fine. Remember, you're going to Paradise!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.