Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:34 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thanks for the excellent reports. I will be coming into PVG. Can someone comment on transport to/from?
The hotel quotes a car service (S Class Mercedes) for CNY 980.

-Brian
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by briantoronto
The hotel quotes a car service (S Class Mercedes) for CNY 980.
That's really only for people with more money than brains. A taxi from PVG should cost less than 150 CNY. Alternatively, you can take the maglev train (the fastest train on the planet) to Longyang Road station for 40 CNY (including a 10 CNY discount for showing them your arriving or, on your return, departing boarding pass) and then take a taxi to the hotel for well under 100 CNY.

Both of the above are very convenient. If you are traveling with little luggage and really want to maximize your use of public transit, you can take the maglev train to Longyang Road station, then take subway line number 2 in the direction of Songhong Road to Dongcheng Road station, then walk the remaining distance (less than 1 km).

If you are going to take a taxi, it's a good idea to have the name of the hotel written out in hanzi (Chinese characters), since few taxi drivers speak English. You can probably e-mail the hotel and ask them to write out "Please take me to the Park [or Grand] Hyatt Shanghai" in hanzi for you. Failing that, PM me and I will ask my spouse to do it for you.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the excellent reports. I will be coming into PVG. Can someone comment on transport to/from? Anyone have experience with airline Lounges there? I flew out of PVG on ANA and remember a Lounge. Also I will be changing to the GH PVG for a try. Any comment. Should I take a cab? Any comments on current treatment of Diamonds appreciated? It did take us a while to get the GH Tokyo flying right. Thanks.
Lots of questions here.

Airport Transport: One general point about China: the taxis are very cheap. As to speifics, the taxis is about 150 RMB and the train to toxi is 50 RMB for the train, and about 30 RMB for the taxi from the train to the hotel. So from a pure cost point of view, it depends on how many people are with you. From atime point of view, it depends ont eh time of day. I think a taxi from the airport at low peak time is 35-45 minutes. Meanwhile, the train is 7 minutes, olus waiting time (up to 10-15 minutes) and the taxi from the train to the hotel is 15-20 minutes (off peak). I guess I I were alone with few bags, I'd tend to take the train to the taxi, but the taxi is also relatively easy and inexpensive.

There are multiple combo (multine-ariline) lounges at PVG. They seem to be run by one carrier near to the departure gates of the airlines in the vicinity. They are pretty nice...nothing "over the top", but otherwise modern/above average. The drinks and food are good for international C and F lounges (separate lounges). However, I wouldn't let the lounges influence my choice of carrier to even a tiny degree.

As for the GH Shanghai: I think it's great. Certainly, the internal architecture is as cool as it gets. The primary advantage of the GH over the PH is the Grand Club. The GH Grand Club is very nice, by nay standard, and the view/feeling is amnong the best in the world on with a spectacular view on the 86th-ish floor. The whole feeling of entering and going up to the GH is amazing. The bar circular skybar on the top floor (88?) is also amazing.

Diamonds are upgraded to the Grand Club -- I have been there 3-4 times and never not been upgraded, yet.

The PH is super cool, across the street from the GH. The entry on the bottom florr, the ascension the the lobby, the lobby and punlic areas are all very "cool" modernistic. The hotel is located in the new, tallest building in Shanghai (one of the tallest buildings in the world, but nut much taller than the GH), but I think the club floors in the GH are higher or just as high. Also, if you want to visit the observation tower on the 100th floor, it's a separate trip/elevator/2+ hour wait from the ground floor, so don't expect any advantage staying in the hotel. Otherwise, I would check on the restaurant situation: the hotel opened recently and I don't think all the restuarants are open (maybe only 1 or 2?). I think that's part of the reason why the prices are so low and so close to the GH.

IMO, they are both great hotels and I would try each.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And IMO, as I have expressed here at length, they are NOT both great hotels.

If it's award travel, go ahead and try both.

If you are paying for your room, I did NOT experience that prices at the PH were low, although they are currently reduced by 21% until the end of February if booked 7 days in advance. Not enough: exotic architecture does not make up for incompetent, uncaring service at any purportedly luxury hotel. If the PH won't do significantly better on rate, for now, stick to club level at the GH.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you are paying for your room, I did NOT experience that prices at the PH were low, although they are currently reduced by 21% until the end of February if booked 7 days in advance.
I think the 21% discount is only valid until 01.Feb, not end of Feb.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SJC1K
If you are going to take a taxi, it's a good idea to have the name of the hotel written out in hanzi (Chinese characters), since few taxi drivers speak English. You can probably e-mail the hotel and ask them to write out "Please take me to the Park [or Grand] Hyatt Shanghai" in hanzi for you. Failing that, PM me and I will ask my spouse to do it for you.
Please Take Me to Grand Hyatt Shanghai / Park Hyatt Shanghai
請 帶 我 到 上海金茂君悅 / 上海柏悅酒店

Most of all drivers have no idea with Park Hyatt Shanghai, please advise taxi driver that you wanna go to 上海环球金融中心 would be a better idea.

Here's the English and Simplified Chinese:

Shanghai上海 World环球 Financial金融 Center中心

Grand Hyatt君悅 Shanghai上海 Hotel酒店
Jin Mao金茂 Tower大樓

Park Hyatt柏悅 Shanghai上海 Hotel酒店
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by nologic

The PH is super cool, across the street from the GH. The entry on the bottom florr, the ascension the the lobby, the lobby and punlic areas are all very "cool" modernistic. The hotel is located in the new, tallest building in Shanghai (one of the tallest buildings in the world, but nut much taller than the GH), but I think the club floors in the GH are higher or just as high. Also, if you want to visit the observation tower on the 100th floor, it's a separate trip/elevator/2+ hour wait from the ground floor, so don't expect any advantage staying in the hotel. Otherwise, I would check on the restaurant situation: the hotel opened recently and I don't think all the restuarants are open (maybe only 1 or 2?). I think that's part of the reason why the prices are so low and so close to the GH.

IMO, they are both great hotels and I would try each.

Enjoy.
Shanghai World Financial Center (Park Hyatt Shanghai)
Height
Roof 492.0 m / 1,614.2 ft
Top floor 474 m / 1,555 ft
Floor count 101

Jin Mao Tower (Grand Hyatt Shanghai)
Height
Antenna/Spire 421 m / 1,380 ft
Roof 370.0 m / 1,214 ft
Top floor 366.0 m / 1,201 ft
Floor count 88

Both of the 100 Century Avenue Restaurant and 100 Century Avenue Bar
were opened @ early of December. The Dining Room and Living Room opened as well. Two different bar area in 100 Century Avenue Bar, Chinese and Western style with your choice. Cocktails starts from RMB95.00.

Last edited by MattTaiwan; Dec 20, 2008 at 3:57 am
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hey. I love ya! Those are great responses. At least they (responses) are over the top. This might sound crazy and stupid but I might do two FFNs at the GH with a FFN at the PH the same time. It sounds like the GH is the known and the PH is they who knows. An overlap. I will check my FFN count again.

? How would you transport back the forth between the hotels? I do not mind dropping a cab driver 100 cny so I do not get killed crossing the road. Thanks again. From the lusty HSS Pleasaton.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
Shanghai World Financial Center (Park Hyatt Shanghai)
Height
Roof 492.0 m / 1,614.2 ft
Top floor 474 m / 1,555 ft
Floor count 101

Jin Mao Tower (Grand Hyatt Shanghai)
Height
Antenna/Spire 421 m / 1,380 ft
Roof 370.0 m / 1,214 ft
Top floor 366.0 m / 1,201 ft
Floor count 88

Both of the 100 Century Avenue Restaurant and 100 Century Avenue Bar
were opened @ early of December. The Dining Room and Living Room opened as well. Two different bar area in 100 Century Avenue Bar, Chinese and Western style with your choice. Cocktails starts from RMB95.00.
The PH may be in the taller building, but I think the hotel is lower...my recollection is that the PH lobby is on the 77th floor and the guest rooms are below it and the GH Grand Club and reception is on the 86th floor and the rooms are on that floor and below it.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:30 am

Hey. I love ya! Those are great responses. At least they (responses) are over the top. This might sound crazy and stupid but I might do two FFNs at the GH with a FFN at the PH the same time. It sounds like the GH is the known and the PH is they who knows. An overlap. I will check my FFN count again.

? How would you transport back the forth between the hotels? I do not mind dropping a cab driver 100 cny so I do not get killed crossing the road. Thanks again. From the lusty HSS Pleasaton.
It is literally across the street (front door to front door is probably 300 yards or so. It's a somewhat busy street (maybe 3-4 lanes)...but I had no problem crossing on foot. If you have many heavy bags you might need a taxi, but not to corss the street otherwise. I certainly like the GH and the amenities, but I think the ambience at the PH is cooler, and things like sheets/linens would be a step up...it feels a little more private/distinguished.

Have fun and let us know your thoughts when you return.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:59 am

Simply make a call to the bell desk in Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt. Both of them will arrange a porter to transfer/carry your own luggages from Grand Hyatt to Park Hyatt. The only thing you need to do is move yourself. That's the way I forward my luggage between Grand and Park as well. Park Hyatt even sent a bellboy to await me in the Grand Hyatt's lobby. ^

Last edited by MattTaiwan; Dec 20, 2008 at 7:04 am
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:01 am

Simply make a call to the bell desk in Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt. Both of them will arrange a porter to transfer/carry your own luggage from Grand Hyatt to Park Hyatt. The only thing you need to do is move yourself. That's the way I forward my luggage between Grand and Park as well. Park Hyatt even sent a bellboy to await me in the Grand Hyatt's lobby. ^
Now that's a bright idea. @:-)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:05 am

Park Hyatt Shanghai's lobby located @ 87 floor.
Here's some information for your referrence:

93 Century Avenue's private dining/function rooms
92 Century Avenue Bar
91 Century Avenue Restaurant
87 Lobby
86 The Salon - Meeting Room
85 Spa & Gym
84 - 78 Guest Room (maybe 79 fl? )

The Grand Club lounge @ Grand Hyatt located on 83 floor and it's open from 6.30am to 11.00pm. Diamond member will enjoy the following benefits in Grand Club:

-Continental Breakfast
6.30am to 10.30am Mon. to Fri.
6.30am to 11.30am Sat., Sun., and Public Holidays

-Afternoon tea service from 11.00am to 4.00pm
-Evening Cocktails from 5.00pm to 8.00pm
-One-hour use of Grand Club meeting room
-Complimentary Internet access in room

for your information!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:24 am

Breakfats Menu in the Living Room
RMB$240.00 per person plus tax, Complimentary for Diamond member.

the Best part: served in all-you-can-eat/order style!!

From the counter

Chilled and sliced seasonal fruit

Natural or low fat Australian yoghurt
-served with: forest honey, passion fruit honey, rasberry -maple or apricot

Corn flakes
All bran
Organic blueberry muesli
Bircher muesli
-served with hot or cold fresh milk; skimmed milk or soy bean milk

Selection of home made breakfast breads and pastries

Selection of cold cuts and cheeses

Selection of imported cheeses

Home smoked salmon

From the kitchen

Waffles, canadian maple syrup

Pancakes with caramelized banana

Fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, pork sausages

Omelet, gammon ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheddar cheese

Egg white omelet, herbs

Scrambled egg, smoked salmon, grilled tomatoes, cream cheese

Shanghai shrimp and pork wonton soup

Hot soy bean milk, twisted doughnuts

Shanghai fried noodles, pork, mushrooms, green vegetables

Chicken vegetables congee, dried scallop, pickle

Fried rice, Chinese pork sausages, shrimp, egg, spring onion

Beverages

Freshly squeezed juice
-orange, grapefruit, apple, melon or carrot

Selection of coffee
-espresso, cappuccino, cafe latte, regular coffee, decaffeinated

Hot chocolate

Selection of loose leaf tea
-long jing, pu er, oolong, english breakfast, eral grey, chamomile, peppermint

JAPANSES BREAKFAST SET RMB$240.00

Japanses green tea
Selection of fruit juice - orange, grapefruit, apple, melon or carrot
Appetizer, grilled fish, simmered vegetables, egg, tofu
Miso soup, rice, pickled vegetables
Fresh fruit

a little hungry now
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Please Take Me to Grand Hyatt Shanghai / Park Hyatt Shanghai ...
Thanks! Now I don't have to bother my spouse (who was asleep when I posted) when I go there to burn my FFNs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.