Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:34 am

Definitely not by design but a screw up of the architect / contractor who incidentally are denying (only in China!) responsibility. Hotel is aware of the stickiness problem and are undergoing a rectification program to peel each panel off and reaffix with a new covering. Some floors are already done, including the (ultra humid) spa floor. But many more need to be done. A massive job costing over a million USD which the hotel owners now have to bear.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:18 am

Applying DSU to Reservation at Park Hyatt Shanghai

I have had some back-and-forth communications with the Front Office of the Park Hyatt Shanghai concerning availability of DSU for just after the Chinese New Year holiday (when rates all around Shanghai are very low, most hotels have a lot of availability, and even the Park Hyatt Shanghai's rate was quite reasonable).

Yet the property states that the Park Suite King is not showing availability on my desired dates. They do show availability for the Bund View Suites, however.

I actually suggested to them that they were gaming the DSU system, and to give them some facts to consider, I told my assistant to check the availability of booking a Park Suite from today onwards. It turns out that the Park Suite is available for check in only tonight (16.Jan), and then remains unavailable for every day of the week until 07.Jun. That is 140+ days of continuous unavailability. Then miraculously, the Suite is available again for at least two months out from that date.

The Front Office Assistant Manager came back with a very "creative" reply and said that the Park Suites are usually booked by their long-stay Diamond guests. To which I replied...and these guests just happened to check in tomorrow and all stay until 07.Jun?????

I think we should all get together to book these Park Suites from 07.Jun onwards until the end of the year on a refundable rate, and then release them just before the cancellation deadline. (I meant this sarcastically, of course.)

Seriously, Hyatt Consumer Affairs or Gold Passport should get more involved and look into this matter. It is not fair to guests, since Park Hyatt Shanghai was never a hotel excluded from using DSUs.

Honestly, I am just looking to burn my remaining two DSUs during these next few weeks. I could make a booking at any of the other Hyatts in Shanghai, apply the DSU, and be done with it. However, it is more the principle of the issue that has me pissed off at the Park Hyatt property.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:53 am

And I would have thought after reaching out to management that they'd upgrade you to one of their Bund View Suites with their compliments and let you apply the DSU for that suite.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by scented
And I would have thought after reaching out to management that they'd upgrade you to one of their Bund View Suites with their compliments and let you apply the DSU for that suite.
Honestly, that was not what I was looking for. Really just wanted to call them out on most likely playing games in blocking off their Park Suite for over three months out. And, the excuses they gave were just insulting my intelligence!

Update: just got an email from the hotel which said that they would block off a Bund View Deluxe King room for me. I replied to them that this was not much of an offer, since I would be entitled to the same room anyway as a Diamond (to best room, excluding suites, upon availability at checkin). They seem to be doing me a service to offer this to me in advance, but their previous correspondence on the DSU issue still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:52 am

DSUs are the only reason why I re-qualified for Diamond/Globalist for this year. I'm going to try and book another stay at Shanghai. I had luck in the past sending repeated 'pesky' inquiries to get management to put me in a bund suite. Even offering to pay the $100/night difference. It doesn't take much reckoning to see why they created the "Bund Suite" in the first place.

Prior to asking the hotel, I had tried to get gold passport to help me on this issue, but they failed. Has anyone had any luck reaching out to someone at Hyatt to discuss this issue usage of DSU? I'll be pretty firm, I have no interest in re-qualifying for globalist if this issue isn't taken care of, the other amenities are quite trivial.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DL172
DSUs are the only reason why I re-qualified for Diamond/Globalist for this year. I'm going to try and book another stay at Shanghai. I had luck in the past sending repeated 'pesky' inquiries to get management to put me in a bund suite. Even offering to pay the $100/night difference. It doesn't take much reckoning to see why they created the "Bund Suite" in the first place.

Prior to asking the hotel, I had tried to get gold passport to help me on this issue, but they failed. Has anyone had any luck reaching out to someone at Hyatt to discuss this issue usage of DSU? I'll be pretty firm, I have no interest in re-qualifying for globalist if this issue isn't taken care of, the other amenities are quite trivial.
Perhaps you should use this opportunity to stay in a better located property.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:37 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by DL172

Booked a client there for December by reaching out to my friend/contact at PHS and applied a DSU then paid differnece between suite and bund view suite...no issues...he was upgraded to an Ambassdor suite on arrival but that's another story. I think you could ask your TA to take the same approach and they may accomodate.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Any experiences at this property post-WOH? Have anyone used a DSU to upgrade into a category lower than a suite, e.g. Bund View Deluxe? There are only Bund Suites (big surprise...) available on my dates and I would like to 'secure' something at least higher than a base level room.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by staff
Any experiences at this property post-WOH? Have anyone used a DSU to upgrade into a category lower than a suite, e.g. Bund View Deluxe? There are only Bund Suites (big surprise...) available on my dates and I would like to 'secure' something at least higher than a base level room.
The entry level suite is not available any of the next 90 days... My Private Line Rep reached out and they found an entry level suite for my upgrade... Surprise!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I have had some back-and-forth communications with the Front Office of the Park Hyatt Shanghai concerning availability of DSU for just after the Chinese New Year holiday (when rates all around Shanghai are very low, most hotels have a lot of availability, and even the Park Hyatt Shanghai's rate was quite reasonable).

Yet the property states that the Park Suite King is not showing availability on my desired dates. They do show availability for the Bund View Suites, however.

I actually suggested to them that they were gaming the DSU system, and to give them some facts to consider, I told my assistant to check the availability of booking a Park Suite from today onwards. It turns out that the Park Suite is available for check in only tonight (16.Jan), and then remains unavailable for every day of the week until 07.Jun. That is 140+ days of continuous unavailability. Then miraculously, the Suite is available again for at least two months out from that date.

The Front Office Assistant Manager came back with a very "creative" reply and said that the Park Suites are usually booked by their long-stay Diamond guests. To which I replied...and these guests just happened to check in tomorrow and all stay until 07.Jun?????

I think we should all get together to book these Park Suites from 07.Jun onwards until the end of the year on a refundable rate, and then release them just before the cancellation deadline. (I meant this sarcastically, of course.)

Seriously, Hyatt Consumer Affairs or Gold Passport should get more involved and look into this matter. It is not fair to guests, since Park Hyatt Shanghai was never a hotel excluded from using DSUs.

Honestly, I am just looking to burn my remaining two DSUs during these next few weeks. I could make a booking at any of the other Hyatts in Shanghai, apply the DSU, and be done with it. However, it is more the principle of the issue that has me pissed off at the Park Hyatt property.

This happened to me to when I tried to book in PHS.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just completed an other excellent stay here. Was upgraded to the Chairman's Suite which was rather epic, including a full, huge kitchen, dining room, living room and a rather interesting display of dogs in grass upon entry. Literally unbelievably scenery as usual with views of the Jin Mao Tower and TV Tower as well as the Bund / river. Truly memorizing and spectacular.

Hats off to the management team for their excellent service, attention to detail and making their guests feel like they truly have a home in Shanghai.

I only wish all Hyatt properties could operate up to the standards at the PH Shanghai. It's properties like this that make me want to continue my loyalty despite the horrific changes to the WOH program as of late.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by ainternational
Just completed an other excellent stay here. Was upgraded to the Chairman's Suite which was rather epic, including a full, huge kitchen, dining room, living room and a rather interesting display of dogs in grass upon entry. Literally unbelievably scenery as usual with views of the Jin Mao Tower and TV Tower as well as the Bund / river. Truly memorizing and spectacular.

Hats off to the management team for their excellent service, attention to detail and making their guests feel like they truly have a home in Shanghai.

I only wish all Hyatt properties could operate up to the standards at the PH Shanghai. It's properties like this that make me want to continue my loyalty despite the horrific changes to the WOH program as of late.
Interesting report.

I used to be very loyal to this property, though the Hotel had a MAJOR internal restructure about 2 years ago and many of the top management left.

Service there used to be outstanding and I have stayed many times in the Suite you have described. I particularly liked the sneaky lift behind the fake walls.

But I know both the GM and DOR of this property and neither are remotely as good as the former ones.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
This hotel is a total waste of points/money if the weather is overcast and you have no view. It's an amazing hotel as are most PH's.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
This hotel is a total waste of points/money if the weather is overcast and you have no view. It's an amazing hotel as are most PH's.
I would disagree with your statement. This is an absolute top notch hotel with very spacious rooms thanks to the very high ceilings and the interior is very nicely done. The view is a very nice additional perk but even without the view I would recommend the PH over the GH.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Interesting report.

I used to be very loyal to this property, though the Hotel had a MAJOR internal restructure about 2 years ago and many of the top management left.

Service there used to be outstanding and I have stayed many times in the Suite you have described. I particularly liked the sneaky lift behind the fake walls.

But I know both the GM and DOR of this property and neither are remotely as good as the former ones.
Agreed, but that said, I think the current DOR tries hard. It's the mid level and lower staff that really make the difference here to me. From Sean to the concierge team. The front desk folks and operator need major upgrades though.

Indeed, I had a little run in with the sneaky lift this past time around. Not exactly my proudest moment very early (or should I say _very_ late) in the morning hours lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.