Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
Perhaps the 1,000 pt. Diamond amenity option?
This is not (unfortunately) an option outside of North America
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I am at this property right now. Rather weird concept, but overall positive on it. Really do appreciate the free breakfast, laundry, and internet and bottled water, no nickel and diming. Big plus on the Ren toiletries.

Room is fine, nice and quiet, reminds me of the W in Union Square in NY, you know, take an old hotel and renovate it, but stop short of giving it the Anoushka Hempel/Julian Schnabel 5* finish, so the fact that it is trying hard shows up everywhere.

I am using points, and need to stay a third night, but they are quoting GBP 375 (!), so that's definitely way out of the edge of reasonable pricing. If I can't get it with points, I'll move somewhere else, but I thought it is a good use of points if those are the usual rates.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AN-Diamond
All in all not at all impressed, I think they are trying too hard to be cool, and not pulling it off very well.

The prime example that comes to mind with this is the lack of any kind of folio of information about the hotel, there is an odd magazine type thing, but apart from info about local pubs etc, the hotel information is a mystery (I didn't know until reading this that room service breakfast was an option).
That's funny. The "Stock" magazine which is supposed to be the guide to the hotel and the area, is pretty much useless. It is loaded with all kinds of "inside" cheeky-lad Maxim-reader jokes and puns, as if somebody took the Bearded One's copywriters, and, before a writing session, gave them the stuff that Mrs. Marsellus Wallace found in Vincent Vega's coat pocket.

On the upside, the guy who checked me in, Victor, was extremely helpful and showed me all the amenities and tricks at the hotel, well done.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pickles, my feeling the one time I stayed there is that it was like a "W" in another way -- the rooms were tiny, tiny (although I did eventually manage to get upgraded to a weirdly shaped suite). Did you have the same experience?

Cannot imagine that it is worth GBP375 a night. That's way pricier than I've been paying at the Churchill even if I add in laundry, internet, and breakfast (the Churchill provides bottled water)!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Pickles, my feeling the one time I stayed there is that it was like a "W" in another way -- the rooms were tiny, tiny (although I did eventually manage to get upgraded to a weirdly shaped suite). Did you have the same experience?

Cannot imagine that it is worth GBP375 a night. That's way pricier than I've been paying at the Churchill even if I add in laundry, internet, and breakfast (the Churchill provides bottled water)!
It certainly isn't worth GBP375 a night by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe a couple hundred quid tops, and throw in another 50 or so for the extras. My room is a "King Deluxe", and although not overly large, it is reasonably sized, probably about 350 sq ft or so.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
I had booked a weekend in August there but now wondering if I might should bounce to another property. I'm Diamond w Hyatt and Plat w Starwood, and had planned on doing 8 nights in town.

2nights (weekend) at the AndAZ
5night (week) at Park Lane
1night (before early flight) likely at a Sheraton by LHR

I was able to score the AndAZ for 18,000pts/night on weekend.
Is this a reasonable rate? (fairly new to Hyatt).

Is for holiday with a girl who does not travel much nor knows London well, so thought kind of a trendy, fancy place like the AndAZ, followd by a more traditional ParkLane gig would be fun.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by KevinS
I had booked a weekend in August there but now wondering if I might should bounce to another property. I'm Diamond w Hyatt and Plat w Starwood, and had planned on doing 8 nights in town.

2nights (weekend) at the AndAZ
5night (week) at Park Lane
1night (before early flight) likely at a Sheraton by LHR

I was able to score the AndAZ for 18,000pts/night on weekend.
Is this a reasonable rate? (fairly new to Hyatt).

Is for holiday with a girl who does not travel much nor knows London well, so thought kind of a trendy, fancy place like the AndAZ, followd by a more traditional ParkLane gig would be fun.
That's a terrible award rate for a room, or even a suite, at that hotel on a weekend, when rooms often go for GBP100 or less a night! Might be OK for a Sun-Thurs night.

How early is your flight? Might be better to stay near Paddington station (even at the Park Lane, if you can taxi to Paddington) and take the H'Ex to the airport. That's can be faster than staying at the LHR Bath road hotels and taking the Hotel Hoppa bus -- check out the UK forum for more details.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
There's the Hilton (atop) Paddington.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Thanks for the feedback Richard -

If I go on the site, it's 140sterling (about $280) for a room that weekend, Queen bed, inclusive. 2 nights = $560.
18,000pts x2 = 36k pts. 1.5cent/point

Not great, but I have not any award travel w Hyatt, so no frame of reference. With those numbers, is still bad award rate?

I'm doing almost the entirety of this trip with points/miles/credits, so wouldn't kill me to stay somewhere on actual cash for a night or two, if this truly is a .... rate.

That's a terrible award rate for a room, or even a suite, at that hotel on a weekend, when rooms often go for GBP100 or less a night! Might be OK for a Sun-Thurs night.

How early is your flight? Might be better to stay near Paddington station (even at the Park Lane, if you can taxi to Paddington) and take the H'Ex to the airport. That's can be faster than staying at the LHR Bath road hotels and taking the Hotel Hoppa bus -- check out the UK forum for more details.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:16 pm

Well, it's just that the Churchill and the Andaz London are both cat 5 hotels. With the possible exception of the Highlands Inn, I would bet ANY other hotel in cat 5 is a better use of points, especially given that you are using it for a weekend.

One room for one night at the Park Hyatt Paris would set you back E550 or more, maybe considerably more, for example! Think big with category 5 hotels.

In fact, if the PH Paris is available, why not take Eurostar to Paris for the weekend and do just that? You'll love it.

Incidentally, if a hotel is not available, you can try calling the hotel directly as on occasion they will open up additional award inventory, particularly as time gets close.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:29 pm

I can see your point on that Richard.

Still getting used to the Hyatt brand.
I've got about 300k points in Starwood, and have been Plat with them for a few years, but just started Hyatt this year after calling and getting a level match + the Clear card for free with them.

Have racked up about 100k points with Hyatt in 2008, but really haven't figured out their award structure yet. But I can see what you're talking about with the Cat5.

I can grab a junior suite at Belgravia / Park Lane for around 14,500 pts, and I'll assume points to points is roughly equal betwixt Hyatt & Starwood.

I see what you mean though - 140sterling vs 550E for the same pt range is a pretty shabby deal.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by KevinS
I can see your point on that Richard.

Still getting used to the Hyatt brand.
I've got about 300k points in Starwood, and have been Plat with them for a few years, but just started Hyatt this year after calling and getting a level match + the Clear card for free with them.

Have racked up about 100k points with Hyatt in 2008, but really haven't figured out their award structure yet. But I can see what you're talking about with the Cat5.

I can grab a junior suite at Belgravia / Park Lane for around 14,500 pts, and I'll assume points to points is roughly equal betwixt Hyatt & Starwood.

I see what you mean though - 140sterling vs 550E for the same pt range is a pretty shabby deal.

points to points is not equal.. hyatt = 6.5 (diamond) pts/$.. spg = 3 (plat) pts/$.. so hyatt is about 1/2 of spg.. higher end hotels at hyatt are much cheaper than higher end hotels at spg.. but you can get some awesome deals at spg with cat 1/2 in south east asia..
Old Jul 18, 2008, 3:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I always monitor the rates here as it's my "local" Hyatt. Haven't seen any rates this year sub £100, at least not direct from Hyatt. The cheapest at the moment is £110 plus 17.5% VAT for a Queen and that's the Limited Rate which doesn't explicitly say it includes mini bar, breakfast, etc

I personally don't really like this property but it is convenient for me if I need a few stays to retain Diamond
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:36 am

How Much Laundry?

Just curious - does it stipulate how much laundry can be included in the free laundry? What if someone is at the end of a holiday and gets the hotel to do a bundle of laundry? Also, is there any minimum stay required for the free laundry offer to be available? I wonder what the turnaround time is, as prices vary quite a bit according to whether the laundry is done within 24 hours or 48 hrs.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Just curious - does it stipulate how much laundry can be included in the free laundry? What if someone is at the end of a holiday and gets the hotel to do a bundle of laundry? Also, is there any minimum stay required for the free laundry offer to be available? I wonder what the turnaround time is, as prices vary quite a bit according to whether the laundry is done within 24 hours or 48 hrs.
I actually did that, in two batches. In by 10:00 AM, back by 7:00 PM. Nary a peep from the hotel on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.