Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Finally staying there during Expo in June for a few nights, having sampled both the GH and PH in January. Curious if the bathroom amenities are packed into the same type of case that one finds at the GH? Also, what brand is this property using these days, the iXXXX series found at most Asian Hyatts or a branded product like Aesop.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:55 pm

Does anyone have a contact at HOTB? Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Does anyone have a contact at HOTB? Thanks.
Use Hyatt EConcierge and you can get a person via email.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:29 am

I was in a 33 series on a floor in the low 20's.

It was a complete view of the Bund.

I am a Diamond and I booked a rivew view king and this is what I got.

The Bund Club is on 3 but has nice views out towards Pudong so if you don't have that view from your view you will from the Club.

By the way, I agree this club is quite nice. There was a chef on duty when I was there.

Due to Expo, the hotel was totally full but service seemed okay.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:31 am

What's the typical diamond amenity for Diamonds?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:26 pm

Any recent reviews now that the Expo has started? I'm staying there in late July using a Diamond suite upgrade.

Does the hotel offer any Expo tours (only saw general Shanghai tours on e-concierge) or the ability to get VIP Expo tickets? Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Swooop12
Any recent reviews now that the Expo has started? I'm staying there in late July using a Diamond suite upgrade.

Does the hotel offer any Expo tours (only saw general Shanghai tours on e-concierge) or the ability to get VIP Expo tickets? Thanks!
I got a free upgrade to a huge suite there last week. Really nice as usual. Amenity was apples though, but I wasn't complaining as the room was amazing. Working though so no time for the Expo.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Currently having breakfast in the Bund Club which is a spacious and well provisioned space but otherwise I am most disappointed by this Hyatt compared with the other two across in Pudong which I can see from my room that has no Bund view just one of Pudong (XX22 series).

The room itself is fine and in the current design realm of Asian Hyatts though not as minimalist as the PH. Toilettries are the standard i-series found through out Asia. No take-away case for toothbrushes, etc. as at the GH. Did not feel as warm or inviting as the other two Hyatts here and the staff is a tad stand offish. WiFi only in the lounge but old plug in Internet in the rooms so forget using your iPad unless you've downloaded and stored reading material. The location is also a drawback as there is next to nothing around this side of either river. Nearest Metro is about 8 blocks inland on the new #10 line. If this is your first trip to Shanghai, forget this Hyatt.

Also, no real Diamond amenity. Just the standard three items of fruit (pear, apple and banana) and nothing else. And sparkling wine in the lounge is blanc de blanc French but not champagne. Front desk is most bizarre as it looks more like an office tower's concierge/security reception than hotel check-in.

Glad this was a free night from the current promotion. When I return to this city I will spend me money at one of the Pudong properties instead.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:46 pm

Looks like my wife and I are going to have to share the bund suite (using diamond upgrade cert) with my mother-in-law... awesome. Some questions:

1) By all accounts, the room is large but does the bathroom take up a large part of the layout?
2) is there enough privacy (walls, doors, etc) in the suite for 3 people? It seems the rooms are generally designed for more openness.
3) I'm assuming no sofa bed in the couch. E-concierge says 250CNY for rollaway. Any reports of not being charged this if requested at the hotel (am diamond)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Swooop12
Looks like my wife and I are going to have to share the bund suite (using diamond upgrade cert) with my mother-in-law... awesome. Some questions:

1) By all accounts, the room is large but does the bathroom take up a large part of the layout?
2) is there enough privacy (walls, doors, etc) in the suite for 3 people? It seems the rooms are generally designed for more openness.
3) I'm assuming no sofa bed in the couch. E-concierge says 250CNY for rollaway. Any reports of not being charged this if requested at the hotel (am diamond)?

Thanks!
1) The bathroom is quite large, but there is still ample space in the bedroom and living room. The closet/coatroom off the entrance is very spacious as well, so you can store your belongings here to maximize space even more, if needed.
2) There should be. The master bedroom has a sliding wall you may close between both the bathroom and the living room. We had three grown adults in the suite and it was quite acceptable.
3) I don't recall the couch having a pull-out bed. I don't recall how much the rollaway was, but it was reasonable. I want to say ~200CNY. This was requested at the hotel and was billed for it even as a diamond.

The location of this hotel isn't the greatest, but if you get a riverview suite, especially one where you can see the length of the Bund as well as the Pudong area, that totally makes up for a bit of walking or taking a taxi.

I enjoyed the morning breakfast spread a lot. Very tasty dumplings, noodles, garlic roasted mushrooms & sausages, etc. The attendants that worked the club lounge were very helpful and worked to make everything enjoyable when there was a hiccup with our stay (they needed our room after 1 night but upgraded us to the suite for the remaining nights).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:56 am

Just had a great stay using my diamond upgrade cert. Got the Bund Suite River View King (x26) with an awesome view of the Bund / Pudong on a relatively low floor. The view was awesome and the room is perfect for three adults! Room is absolutely wonderful... except for the lack of wireless and uncomfortable sheets. It's like they used a harsh abrasive to clean the sheets - not very soft at all. The best part of the suite is that it included breakfast buffet at the main restaurant (Aroma)... the breakfast was one of the most comprehensive buffets I've ever seen. I guess it's awesome only if you love Chinese food... not so amazing if you only want Western food. Make sure you walk all the way around... I didn't my first day. Gym is good and pool is ok - too dark with low ceilings for me.

Service was definitely not 5-star as I was coming from the GH Tokyo and HR Kyoto but adequate. The club was generally great but other areas of the hotel are hit or miss. I want to blame the property but I also think it's something about the culture... like the taxi drivers for example.

Highly advise going to the PH Shanghai for a drink - unbelievable view.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone have restaurant reviews for dinners at this property? I will be coming from the Royal Meridien and 2:1 at either the GH Shanghai or the Hyatt on the Bund on Sunday night and am trying to choose where to eat.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:16 am

There's no wireless Internet in the room but at check-in (or booking time) you can request they setup a wireless router in the room.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA
There is wireless internet access in the room now, which you can connect "Hyatt-on-the-Bund", 120 RMB for 24 hr. Diamond gets free.

Originally Posted by andreamonni
There's no wireless Internet in the room but at check-in (or booking time) you can request they setup a wireless router in the room.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Would you like smoking or smoking?

I stayed here a couple of weeks back, and used a Diamond cert to upgrade to a suite.

Got a nice upper teens floor suite, with an excellent view of the river. Room smelled heavily of smoke. They came and deodorized it, and it helped a bit.

The club lounge was pretty decent. The first visit, we walked in and someone was lighting up in the non-smoking part of the lounge. This seems quite normal in China, but gets old really quick. Items didn't quite all go out on time in the evening, but a decent spread once it was out.

Since we had a suite we got breakfast at Aroma, which you don't want to miss. Tons of options there, even if you don't like Chinese food. It can take you 5 minutes to walk from one side of it to the other!

Table service was okay, but nothing exciting. Even though we were in the non-smoking section, and I couldn't see anyone smoking, I still got whiffs of smoke every now and again. Perhaps a ventilation problem?

Came back to the room the last night, and found our supposed non-smoking floor, a cigarette just crushed out on the tile next to the elevator. Then as we approached our room, the adjacent door was open with 5 or so Chinese guys in it, all smoking. Yuck. Called the front desk, and was told they would move US. Sheesh. Not when I have to fly out early in the morning.

The view was the best I had in Shanghai. Lounge staff was usually pretty good. Front desk was below average.

Wifi and wired seemed to work good from the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.