Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Wichita REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...

Has anyone stayed at the Wichita property and provide any feedback? I did a search with no success. Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:55 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
it's been a couple of years, but I sure it hasn't changed much. A typical convention Hyatt Hotel -- perfectly OK, but certainly nothing great. Tried to use a suite upgrade twice there, but to no avail -- it was weekends . . . weddings?? The location is out and away from the downtown -- 6 blocks or so -- you need a car to get around. Other options in Wichita are not to great either.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Bumping this thread to see if anything new can be said. Work will take me to Wichita area every month or so for a couple nights at a time. Will have a rental car. I usually stay in Hilton Garden Inns and Courtyard Inn's for work, but thought I would try Hyatt for a change, seeing as I only need a few stays to reach Platinum level and the AAA rates seem pretty low at this Hyatt.
Are the rooms okay? (size, age of furnishings, etc) Anything I should know about room service or local area?

Thanks,
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:51 pm

Hyatt Regency Wichita is a very nice hotel with good service. Oprah loved it (no kidding). Harrison Ford, Sidney Pollack and others stay there when in town.

Ask for a view to the north, lots of construction right now to the south. The hotel has good restaurants. If you are here more than a day or two, they will take you to "Old Town" which has many restaurants, nice life, etc.

The best shopping in Wichita is at Bradley Fair at 21st and Rock. I don't know if the hotel will take you there. If not, it would be a $15-20 cab ride one way.

If you have kids, take them to Exploration Place, which is near the hotel (actually a long walk).

Finally, if you are space fan, the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson (you'll need a rental car) is generally thought to be the second best space museum in the U.S.

Enjoy your visit.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
I travel to Wichita for work (why else? . Familiar with most of the hotels in town. Hyatt is hands-down the nicest place to stay, IMO, a view backed-up by the locals. Hotel is very nice, clean, absolutely up-to-date, friendly staff, all in all one of the best Hyatt Regencies in the chain.

The only other noteworthy hotel is the Courtyard by Marriott in Old Town, nice to walk to many great dinner and entertainment options just outsdie your door.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:18 pm

Two weeks ago, I had a business lunch at the Hyatt's new "Harvest" restaurant which features Kansas food. Both my friend and I thought it was terrific.

This evening, we had our family Christmas dinner there (party of 8) and everyone agreed it was wonderful. Unusual menu (in a good way) and very good service. This is not your typical hotel restaurant. If you are visiting Wichita, I highly recommend it.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Wichita has always been a bit of a Hyatt menu-renegade and above-average in execution, but they didn't get away with anything as different as the new menu before. I drive past there more that I stay there, and its the only hotel I get off the highway for just to order lunch. Let us hope on a broader scale this marks a turn-back-the-clock trend towards local-favorite specialization around a core of Hyatt standards, which to a large degree it used to be. (Hint: Never order the Hyatt-standard breakfast burrito in Cleveland. They really can't relate, but then again why should they; its Ohio. What was I thinking ordering a Tex-Mex item anyway, when I wasn't in Tex or Mex?. But I bet there is a regional specialty they would love to offer that would really be good).

Last edited by jayer; Dec 27, 2008 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Back for the first time I suppose since my last post. Its not the experience of a lifetime, but still solid enough (which is sort of how you can describe most of Kansas). I find the rooms comfortable and quiet and restful, and prefer it to the Marriott. Its easier access from the airport.

The lobby is currently torn up for reconstruction but is scheduled to be done. . . tomorrow. Doubt they make it, but surely done before long.

Parking is confusing. I understand its a city-owned structure. Check-in agent asked me if I parked there, but there was not a charge on the folio. I'm clueless if they made the charge disappear for a Diamond or it was a mistake. There is a self-pay machine at the breezeway between the hotel and the garage, with a sign that says there is no attendant so please pay here if you didn't pay the hotel, but on Saturday morning the gate was up. Your results may vary and I suppose it may be stricter during the week. In the past I've needed the room key for in and out, and I always keep it to make sure I can exit the garage after checkout.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
This used to be the best hotel in town, but things have changed since then. The Lobby renovation is completed so no more construction noise. I dont really like the lobby it doesnt have a very warm feel. They only give diamonds breakfast for one person and are stingy about it. Also they have eliminated bathropes from the whole hotel. Service quality is horrible most of the staff is brand new or has very little experience this shows in the restaurant when your coffee never gets refilled after asking for it three times. As a local I wouldnt suggest staying here the Marriott might be a little dated, but the service quality is so much better.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jayer
Parking is confusing. I understand its a city-owned structure.
The City of Wichita owns the hotel as well, I was told that they didn't want to lose the "Flag" when the previous owner was going to shut it down, so the City bought the hotel from them to keep the Hyatt name in Wichita.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:53 pm

There is valet parking, the new lobby is beautiful (in my opinion), and my friend and I had an excellent Christmas lunch there!

Can't comment on the rest because I didn't stay there.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:49 pm

Staying at this hotel this Sunday night and just found this offer:

Quadruple Bonus Miles

For a one-night stay, I'm taking quadruple miles over the points!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrior365
They only give diamonds breakfast for one person and are stingy about it.
I charged breakfast for two to my room on a recent stay and the entire charge was removed before checkout without any prompting from me.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
Since my last review I have had a couple of stay and things have changed at the property and its back to it old self once again. I had the shuttle service pick me up from home and the next day take me to the airport. This worked out wonderful since the shuttle has a given radius of 5 miles from the hotel, but they will pick you up anywhere in Wichita if you let them know in advance. Upon arrival at the hotel I was recognized by the staff and immediately offered the Diamond Amenity and choose the points. The GM came down to welcome me back, which I always welcome at my hometown Hyatt's to find out whats going on at the hotel. I was given a suite on the third floor and there was amenity plate delivered later in the evening together with my order from room service. Breakfast at the restaurant is very good and offeres made to order omeletes and waffles. The hotel is back to being the best in town after a slump in service last year if you ever have to come to Wichita this is the place to stay. I'll post some pictures later tonight
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, national executive elite,
Stayed here Monday night. When I checked in I was given a king size room That appeared to be a normal room. Had alot of work to do but the neighbor had his tv so loud I couldn't think. Called the front desk they said they would find me another room. When I went down to the desk I asked if they had any upgrades and they did. Wondering why they didn't give me the upgrade in the first place. Room was nice with a nice view of the river.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.