Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 2001, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something

I'm very pleased with the Grand Hyatt in downtown DC. As a Diamond, they provide RC rooms or access and once I learned about the policy of offering suites, they granted that request without a problem. The regular rooms are nice, the health club is large, and you can enter Metro without going outside.

Note that turndown service is graciously provided if you request it by phone. Otherwise it is not standard.

The RC was recently closed for the Christmas season (starting around Dec 15) but they provided business plan instead on a $99 holiday rate, which included full breakfast for 2, health club, the 15 minute phone card, and free phone access charges.

The hotel is in a building with a commercial health club (not massive but more elaborate than a typical hotel club). RC and business plan (and Diamond members) get free access; others pay $6 per visit. I believe the hotel gets charged $6 for each comped visitor since I see the attendant writing down the charges every time I visit.

With the breakfast buffet at $27 for two and the health club at $12 for two, the benefits
provided during the RC closing were extremely nice. I still prefer the RC and will be happy when it reopens (not sure of the date).

Charles
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Hyatt Washington DC report 10/06

Preface: Got some very inexpensive transcon tickets from UA into IAD. Everyone upgraded. Still on the keeping status quest.

Rate: I waited out the property and found $134 and change using AAA.

Transportation: We rented a car. Super Shuttle was $30 each and a taxi was $65 plus according to Hotel.

Parking: Valet is $26.

Check-in: Upon arrival I tried the kiosk again. Since I was on a AAA rate the kiosk sent me to the front desk. I did do a WEBPDA checkin. The agent was very competent. We were given rooms on the top floor which also houses the RC.

Perks: As noted above. Picked 1000 as amenity. The RC was well staffed with two internet terminals which are free. There was a printer. I think you could also plug a laptop into the router. The lounge size is ok but the tables with chairs as you get of the elevator tells you there is not enough seating during busy times. It was not crowded when we were there. The evening service had one hot item along with the usual cold items. The beverage set-up is standard. At 8 PM sweets were put out. Will let you know about breakfast. My friend has a book and it puts this Hotel number 1 in luxury ahead of the Four Seasons. The bell staff is very competent and helpful on directions.

Room: Our room was very standard yet comfortable. You come into the room on carpet. New carpet. You have a closet to the right followed by a mini bar which may be used for other things. Get a key. The you have the tv cabinet followed by a desk with lamp. We have two comfy chairs with one ottoman. Our king bed follows which is comfortable. The bathroom is an ok size with a single basin sink and shower with a push out curtain. The water pressure is excellent. A comfortable room. You can get bottled water from the lounge. You need a key in the elevator.

Internet: My friend is catching t mobile but no chance for me. No wired service so you have to use wireless which is $9.95 for the day charged to your room. 24 hours.

Gym: The gym is beyond glass doors and up a ramp to the left. Just head towards the metro. The rate is $10 if you use the equipment and nothing for the pool. If you are a D it is waived.

Spa: They do have spa services.

Eating venues: Abound in the area. The brew pub nearby is very reasonable. We all enjoyed it.

Local markets: ?

Local area: Everything. The metro is on the backside of the Hotel and accessible covered area.

Negatives: The walls are a little thin and the room could be a little larger.

Closing: Would stay again in an instant. The rate is good, staff attentive, RC is good and so forth. Regards from DC
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always enjoyed this property.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:36 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I've been reminded by my associate the Hotel has interior facing and exterior facing rooms. The interior which he has is a little noisey. Off to the gym.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I actually had a decent stay here two weekends ago. Was not on the RC floor, but given access. The food in the RC was really good for once. Sliders, mac and cheese, coleslaw, potato salad and apple pie for dessert.

Good crudite as well. We ended up not really eating, but just sampling.

The atrium facing rooms should be avoided at all costs. They can be noisy on the weekends.

The room had the white orchid portico products. We called and asked for something else adn they found the lavender ones. Thankfully.

Same thing - AAA rate.

lala
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:28 am

Wireless wifi did not work when I returned from sightseeing. After being on the phone 10 minutes with the tech I gave up. Called the front desk and they took the charge off. A good stay.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:38 am

EXCEPTIONAL light, fast and reasonable meal.

I just had to tell you about this since we all loved it. On the way back from sightseeing we stopped at a small cafe called- COSI at 1001 PA Avenue. The place was located a couple blocks from the Hotel. We should have stopped by again before we boarded our UA flight. The salads were excellent and my sandwich was great. Regards
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:06 pm
pdb

Grand Hyatt v. Hyatt Regency (Capitol Hill)

Any comparisons would be greatly appreciated. (e.g. rooms, RC, parking). Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:02 pm

How would you rate this Grand Hyatt DC?

RTW, thanks very much for your review and info.

I am very impressed with this very reasonable AAA rate but am not familiar with the property. In terms of level, is it just about the Grand Hyatt in NYC (which is not really a Grand!) or lower? or higher?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
FYI Several room pics of both incl suites in my yahoo photo's link in my profile...

Originally Posted by pdb
Any comparisons would be greatly appreciated. (e.g. rooms, RC, parking). Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:52 am

I have not stayed at the GH New York in several years. I would describe the GH Washington DC as not so Grand. Nothing like abroad.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I would describe the GH Washington DC as not so Grand. Nothing like abroad.
I second that. It's just like a normal Hyatt hotel as far as I'm concerned, nothing too Grand about it. Nice place, but so are a lot of other non-Grand Hyatts. And it doesn't compare at all to any Int'l Grand Hyatts that I've been to.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:38 pm

Just FYI, there is some great dining right around this property. Zola & Jaleo are nearby and were very good.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:39 pm
pdb

Bump

Originally Posted by pdb
Bump....anyone out there with stays at both the DC GH and HR (Capitol Hill)?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:20 pm

theZipper's pics

Originally Posted by thezipper
FYI Several room pics of both incl suites in my yahoo photo's link in my profile...
Hi Zipper and FTers,

Zipper, I went to you photos, thanks. But I am not sure if I found photos for Grand Hyatt DC. I did see Capital suite photos (which I reckon would be for HR DC). Where would I find photos for GH DC?

Am thinking of visiting DC in a few months and originally waS thinking of high end hotels. But have this thought now - would getting a suite at GH or even HR be a better idea than getting just a hotel room at a top hotel. I know it is apples and oranges, but then I thought I would still ask.

Thanks.

Incy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.