Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I second that. It's just like a normal Hyatt hotel as far as I'm concerned, nothing too Grand about it. Nice place, but so are a lot of other non-Grand Hyatts. And it doesn't compare at all to any Int'l Grand Hyatts that I've been to.
I third it. Of the domestic GH's I have been to, only the GH Seattle reminds me of the international properties in terms of design, furnishings, and staff.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Completed a 2 night stay at the Grand Hyatt Washington DC during the last week of February. One night was an extended FFN and the other night was a AAA Breakfast promotional stay ($299).

Check-in: Clerk was not aware of my Diamond status and therefore was not given Regency Club access. Had to ask the clerk to re-key the room card for Regency Club access.

Room: The room was an atrium facing room on the Gold Passport floor, one floor below the Regency Club floor. The room was on the small side. The insulation between the rooms was poor. You could hear adjoining room turning on the shower and the doors slaming, especially in the morning.

Food: Food in the Regency Club and the breakfast buffet was average. Service at the restaurant was someone slow.

Summary: Overall I would rate the hotel and service as slightly below average in comparison to other Hyatts. The positive part of the hotel is the location...easy convenient access to the Metro Rail without having to go outside.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Quick update and a question as well as to whether anyone has any recent experiences. I booked a room for this Saturday and got an email from econcierge as usual, signed by the Exec Asst Mgr, Rooms. Called in and asked for a rooms manager and actually got him and asked about whether any Grand Suites were available, since ppl mentioned that they would upgrade diamonds to those. He said that it would be available as an upsell at checkin for $100, and that for as long as he's been there (two years), it hasn't been the policy to upgrade to suites. Just wanted to give a heads up and to see whether there's any conflicting experiences... will hopefully be able to give a report after my stay.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I have never been upgraded (about 25 stays over 10 years) to a suite at the Grand DC even with a suite upgrade cert.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:47 pm

Thanks that's good to know... I was actually looking at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...att+washington

that also mentioned that some people got upgraded, but that was two years ago as well, so perhaps with this new manager, they don't even offer it at all anymore...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Forget complementary suiteupgrade. I have never been upgraded at this property as Diamond out of 25 nights or so this year. They even make up new rules to use a Diamond suite upgrade certificate saying "you have to pay a rack rate to use this certificate," when I was staying there at $300/night corporate rate or business plan. Then, when I insisted to read T&C, they say "I am sorry. We do not have any room available at this moment..."

If you read other people's comments at tripadvisor.com, you will see this property has a lot of problems need to be fixed, especially internet service.

Most of the front desk staff are nice, but whenever I ask something special (like suite upgrade), they have to go back to the back office to consult with a manager and come back with a frustrated face after talking to the manager. I guess the front desk stuff are not given so much power. The manager never responded email (although I emailed him only twice), but when I talked to the manger on the phone, he did not seem to care what customers need.
After all, this property is the beggest hotel near the convention center. The customer keeps coming even without making special efforts or providing great service. The Embassy Suites nearby is much better when it comes to the service.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
I was able to use a Diamond suite upgrade coupon this past June for 3 night stay while paying a discounted rate at this property. (I used 1-800 Checkin and told the agent I wanted to use the suite upgrade coupon).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:47 pm

Had a nice one night stay here. Given ug to grand club room, didn't bother asking about a suite though. Lounge was small, but had sodas and coffee/tea throughout the day with cookies during the afternoon. Evening cocktail hour featured a large tray of California rolls, veggies and dip, cheese, with chicken skewers and edamame as the warm items. Quite nice... Breakfast was standard, with hard boiled eggs, salmon, turkey and ham, in addition to normal pastries, bagels, etc. Two computers in the lounge, with TV's (reception was a bit fuzzy). No view from the lounge though (unless you count an obstructed view of the hotel's own atrium). Was given late checkout till 3pm. Gym was on the way to the metro, and the equipment seemed rather new. There is a sauna and steam room facility in the locker rooms. Pool was TINY, but less crowded than the Regency in town.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:09 am

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by richee
I was able to use a Diamond suite upgrade coupon this past June for 3 night stay while paying a discounted rate at this property. (I used 1-800 Checkin and told the agent I wanted to use the suite upgrade coupon).
Good to know.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Grand Hyatt, DC Question?

I've seen a number of bad reviews here and elsewhere about the Grnad Hyatt Washington and am wondering if it's that bad? I have a two-night reservation this weekend...Gold Club member and with a great rate for my son and me...and was a bit surprised by the comments. any current/very recent experiences? Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm going to move this into the Hyatt forum, the best place to find the Hyatt cognoscenti.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:16 am

apologies for the mis-post...thank you for moving it to the right thread
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Stayed there two weeks ago. Standard room, though service was nice at the front desk and in the lounge. Breakfast included bagels with salmon, cereal, danish and very nice berries. Hors D'oeuvres varied each night. I enjoyed the greek salad and humus appetizers that they served one evening- no need to eat dinner after that. You should go there without hesitation.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by endodoc79
Stayed there two weeks ago. Standard room, though service was nice at the front desk and in the lounge. Breakfast included bagels with salmon, cereal, danish and very nice berries. Hors D'oeuvres varied each night. I enjoyed the greek salad and humus appetizers that they served one evening- no need to eat dinner after that. You should go there without hesitation.
thnak you...much appreciated...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:29 am

thank you for all your helpful input.

We had a good stay this weekend...Saturday and Sunday nights. We had a double room on Gold Passbook floor. it was clean, with very comfortable beds. Front desk personnel were pleasant and accommodating with room loction request. Bellman was fast in retrieving bags we left after checking out.

the metro access in the basement is very handy...as is the central location to the mall, WH, Capitol. A number of restaurants and bars near-by...many more than I anticipated. it seemed safe in the area...although not heavily traveled at night.

All-in-all a good stay and would stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.