Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Philadelphia Penn's Landing REVIEW-MASTER THREAD (2/25/15 Leaving Hyatt

Hyatt Regency Philadelphia Penn's Landing REVIEW-MASTER THREAD (2/25/15 Leaving Hyatt

Old Apr 22, 2002, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Just spent several days at the Penn's Landing Hyatt. It seemed like they did not complete their thought processes when they designed the lobby. The gift shop was in a little (really little) coat room. It looked like someone felt guilty and put some rolaids on a shelf. No concierge (to be seen anyway). I asked for some brochures and the person walks back into another room and picks a few out of a box on the floor. You have to be a professional to compete with the "big boys."

This is the second Hyatt that has left me with that "unfinished" feeling.

On the upside it was a nice location with a good view.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:28 am

I wouldn't hold this experience against Hyatt. It actually sounds much better than the Philadelphia Marriott, which is really awful!

Overall, the experience is simply representative of the city of Philadelphia.

Philly has terrible customer service basically everywhere you go. The Four Seasons is great, but other than that, Philly is just Philly. Even at the fancy dinner places employees just don't care that you bothered to visit Philadelphia.

In Philly, the customer isn't right...it actually seems like the customer is the enemy.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 2DCALGA:
I wouldn't hold this experience against Hyatt. It actually sounds much better than the Philadelphia Marriott, which is really awful!

Overall, the experience is simply representative of the city of Philadelphia.

Philly has terrible customer service basically everywhere you go. The Four Seasons is great, but other than that, Philly is just Philly. Even at the fancy dinner places employees just don't care that you bothered to visit Philadelphia.

In Philly, the customer isn't right...it actually seems like the customer is the enemy.
</font>

this coming from a new yorker

in the interest of civic pride, i (and many of my fellow philadelphians) will defend our city to the hilt. i remember a few years ago when conde nast traveller deemed philly the "friendliest" city in the country.

ok, maybe not! but please do not suggest that the only good customer service in philly is at the four seasons. 2DCA--have you visited philly since the rizzo administration?

i guess to make this hyatt-relevant i should say first that the park hyatt philadelphia is a wonderful hotel, old-world with a lovely ballroom/reception area, first-rate location, and a very friendly, helpful staff. i'm sorry that Countin Places didn't experience this at the hyatt penn's landing.

2DCA, you're right that the marriott is indeed crap, but how many convention hotels are really that good??? but how about the rittenhouse, or the westin, or the new ritz?

in any case, i've had many friends visit me from new york, chicago, la, san fran, miami, and other cities, and all have been impressed and surprised by philadelphia's world-class restaurants, arts scene, etc., etc. i don't need to go into all that stuff here.

but more than anything, my out-of-town visitors are impressed by how little pretension, how little attitude there is here.

no airs of being the biggest or the best or the most impressive. sure, there are a lot of jerks here, but people can also be very friendly and helpful at everywhere from le bec-fin to the little neighborhood pizzeria or deli in south philly or manayunk or one of philly's other great neighborhoods.

no, it's not new york, but i wouldn't want it to be.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 04-22-2002).]
Old Apr 23, 2002, 4:46 am
Suspended

I stayed at Penns Landing three or four times last year (Oct & Nov.) After my first or second visit, I noticed that they removed the traditional desk where the concierge sat. Instead, there was a small podium in its place. The first thought that came to mind is the bank lobby where usually there's a telephone on a podium: if you want customer service, do it yourself at the phone.

I glanced over at that little area called the gift shop. Didn't bother going in as just by its appearance I concluded it wouldn't have the newspaper I wanted. I doubt the hotel's location will generate much foot traffic, concluding that a concessionaire like Elson's or WH Smith could operate profitably. That leaves Hyatt to run it themselves, trying to control losses. I would hope it had items a guest may forget.

As for the service staff... the front desk staff always had warm smiles and a helpful attitude. I will look forward to having early Sunday morning coffee and a scone at the coffee place on my next visit: the woman that works Sunday mornings remembered me on each visit and even had suggestions as to sights to see. (Hey wait a minute! Maybe she used to be the concierge! Just kidding.)

I had full breakfast buffet once. Very good, but needed a flare gun to get server's attention for more coffee. Mind you, I do drink a lot of coffee. But I thought it was out of place for her to tell me that I drink too much coffee. She didn't smile either.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 1:30 pm

Stayed there at the beginning of the week, and it was fine. The people up front were professional, if not warm. But they did their job, which is all I ask. Maybe I am just not used to chain hotels, but the only thing I noticed was that they seemed to cater to those with expense accounts or who were not price sensitive. For example, a bottle of Aquafina was $4. Compared to the Park Hyatt in SF, which I stayed at the night before, the Philadelphia hotel seemed to just nickle and dime to death.

By the way, I paid for the room on the Hyatt website as an Internet special. When I went to check out, they wouldn't give me a folio because it was a "prepaid" rate. I asked how to get one, and the lady seemed unapologetically apothetic about the whole thing. How do I get one without having to buy something like $4 Aquafina? I just want to have it for the Amex promo.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 04-25-2002).]
Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone have any upgrade experience as a Hyatt Platinum?
Old May 20, 2002, 4:56 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EXPLAT:

Anyone have any upgrade experience as a Hyatt Platinum?</font>

---

Or as a Diamond? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2002, 6:51 pm
Suspended

As Diamond I was upgraded to a corner king room on a high floor. Rec'd amenity letter to make my choice each time and never had a problem getting folio copy when staying on a pre-paid internet rate.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn's Landing REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

How would you feel about Penn Landing if I could get a priceline rate of $40?

I planned on a *wood cash and points rate; but at $40 for Penn landing, it seems like a good deal. (Weekend stay based on biddingfortravel comments).

Opinions.

Dan
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
How would you feel about Penn Landing if I could get a priceline rate of $40?

I planned on a *wood cash and points rate; but at $40 for Penn landing, it seems like a good deal. (Weekend stay based on biddingfortravel comments).

Opinions.

Dan
</font>
Dan -- that seems like a good rate for this hotel. There have definitely been service issues here, but it's relatively new, and therefore in good shape, and I think you'd be happy for $40. Some of the views would be nice as well if you get high enough -- I'm thinking North towards the bridge, or west overlooking Old City and the Skyline would be what I'd want to look at.

It's slightly isolated down at Penns Landing... in the daytime I'd have no issues with walking up from the hotel to Society Hill/Old City, at night I'm not so sure, with a group it'd be fine, but alone, I might cab it depending on how busy it was.

The historic part of Philly that the hotel is near is great--lots of good new restaurants, decent nightlife, and great neighborhoods with beautiful colonial red-brick rowhomes to walk around, especially this time of year.

Let us know if you want any more info.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the Hyatt Penns Landing twice in the past week via Priceline. It was a good experience, although they had trouble with my reservations and both times the clerk blamed it on the fact that I had checked in using the 1-800-checkin service. It took about 15 minutes each time to straighten things out.

The hotel seems very similar to the Hyatt Harborside in Boston in decor and feel. There were taxis there at all times of the day, and parking was $15 for 24 hours. The hotel is right on the water but I-95 separates the Hyatt from the city, so you do have to cross over the interstate to walk into town. We walked to the subway (about 10 minutes) and also over to South Street (about 10 minutes the other direction). The neighborhood isn't dangerous, but there are plentiful cabs hanging out at the Hyatt so I would probably cab to most locations in the city.

I think the Park Hyatt has a more central location but with the low Priceline rates the Penns Landing hotel is a great deal.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:10 pm

Just got the Penn for $38 in January.

I'm just taking a bus from NYC to visit Philly for 2 nights, and being a Californian, I'm a bit concerned with getting around in the middle of January.

Looks like it'll be a Chinatown bus or Peter Pan/Greyhound so I'd be arriving in the Gallery at Market East area, I'm planning to do just the touristy spots at Independence park, is walkin feasable or would I have to cab it to downtown? I'm also looking at SEPTA, how good is the service to Penn's landing?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 2:06 pm

The Hyatt at Penn's Landing is at Spruce and Columbus Blvd (nee Delaware Ave.)

It's basically at the lower right corner of this map of the historic district:

http://www.nps.gov/inde/map.jpg

I'd say everything in the historic district is within walking distance.

The corner of Independence Hall is about 6 blocks away, maybe 15-20 minutes walking, but other stuff is closer and you'd probably walk between stuff in the park anyway.

Note this map is a little out of date - it doesn't show the new Vistor Center or the Constitution Center, which are both on the north end of the mall.

Penn's Landing is a turnaround point for many of the busses that run down Chestnut/Walnut, so there's good transit access there, but it's really not far to walk.

If you're arriving at the Greyhound terminal, it's off the map to the northwest. That would be a long hike with any kind of luggage, so I'd recommend a cab. You could take a bus if you're willing to walk a couple of blocks, but I imagine the cab fare will be around $5-$10 and well worth the money.

If you have the time, I recommend getting out of the historic area and seeing some other sights in Philadelphia. It's a great old city with a lot going for it.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:33 pm

Review: Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn's Landing

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn's Landings and here are some comments.

Location: This was my first trip to Philadelphia and I wanted to stay close to the historic district. The hotel is on the waterfront but the historic area (Independence Hall) is a 10 - 15 minute walk away. The waterfront itself has a maritime museum but no restaurants nearby.

Rooms: Comfortable, quiet and with good views of the delaware river. Only complaint was my alarm clock went off at 3:30 am despite setting it for a 8:00 am alarm. I'm not sure what happened to cause it to malfunction.

Service: In this area I felt the hotel was surprisingly poor. When I returned to my room in the late afternoon it had not been made up. First call to the front desk had no answer after around 12 rings. Second call was placed on hold for 5 + minutes.

Public areas: Gym was small but well equipped. Has several treadmills and elliptical machines. Also had dumbbells and several weight machines. Pool was small and only 3.5 feet in depth. Hotel has numerous conference rooms. Lobby was small.

Overall impression: Good views from room and nice gym but probably wouldn't stay here again. I'd go for either a hotel right in the historic district or in downtown. Hotel seems more designed for meetings or conferences.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I was there a couple of years ago and also had service problems. Sorry to hear they're continuing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.