Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if the bayview rooms connect, customer services say they don't but on some of the photos I can see a connecting door I've tried to e-mail the hotel and got no reply and when I called direct they put me straight through to their call centre which is very frustrating as I am calling from the UK.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ziggystardust
Does anyone know if the bayview rooms connect, customer services say they don't but on some of the photos I can see a connecting door I've tried to e-mail the hotel and got no reply and when I called direct they put me straight through to their call centre which is very frustrating as I am calling from the UK.

I called the front desk and they said they do have connecting bayview rooms but not the corner rooms.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Any recent reviews? I have the choice of here and the Marriott for a conference in the fall.
Can tell you in August if you can wait that long.

Thanks peteropny for the managers e-mail address. I'd be having some customer service issues - not with the hotel but with the central reservations office when I was trying to book his hotel. I had no other direct e-mail address for the hotel so sent him a message, the upshot of which was that we have been upgraded for free and my problems were sorted.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Staying there now at a large conference in the hotel. Service is OK, room is OK...somewhat dated decor, old TV, but very comfy bed. My room is a "corner king" in the Harbor Tower, but inexplicably, corner rooms don't have corner windows...only windows on one side, like every other room on the floor. Can't figure out why they would design a hotel without windows on two sides for corner room...what a waste of a great view.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Continues to shine!

Just back from a few nights for annual conference. Please remember this is a conference hotel facility. That being said I continue to be more than happy at this property. A quick review.

Preface: Annual conference.

Rate: Conference rate.

Transportation: Taxi less than $15 from SAN all in.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: I had a SUITE upgrade coupon. I knew in advance I was upgraded. Very pleased to be given room and suite connector on Regency Club floor. Efficient check-in process.

Perks: Took the points.

Lounge: The Lounge has been reported on before and is nice. A little small but the flow in and out is good with people. They only drop the local paper at the room door. The Lounge has all the others as does the bell desk downstairs comp.. In the afternoon they have small snacks. Two computers with a printer. HSIA access of course.

Room: As has been reported before. Very standard.

Bathroom: Same.

Internet: The rooms have wired. There was a credit for HSIA. I do not know if that was applied by the Hotel since I was on a Club floor or someone from the firm put that on.

Gym: Open 24 hours now. Charge unless a Gold Passport member.

Spa: A associate said- fantastic. Remember that private spa swimming pool. Just access to the pool only without spa service is $25 per day.

Eating venues: Lael's was good. Dined a few times.

Local markets: We had guests in the suite every night for drinks. There is a Ralphs down Market Street at First.

Local area: Great and a great area just to walk.

Nagatives: A few people had issues with their rooms.

Closing: For being a large convention Hotel I continue to be very pleased and have no problem staying here. Always a good nights sleep. Enjoy!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Well in a combination of my experience last year and what the owner is doing - see article, we will never stay at this property or his Marriott property next door again.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
Well in a combination of my experience last year and what the owner is doing - see article, we will never stay at this property or his Marriott property next door again.
I was pretty disappointed by this article as well. I actually had a really good stay there in June. As a Diamond they treated me amazingly. I had a great upgrade, free Internet, discount coupons in the cafe, free gym membership with free same day laundry for my gym clothes.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I never really liked this Manchester dude anyway. I mean, who names a hotel after himself, puts up pictures of himself with all kinds of unsavory characters (mostly old-line reactionaries, I think there is one of him and Dick Cheney up there) all over the hotel lobby? He also calls himself "Papa Doug", yes massa.

And his hotel is pretty mediocre overall, and the biggest sin of all, it doesn't participate in the FFN program.

Having said that, he owns another property in Del Mar, the Grand del Mar, which I have to admit is fantastic. And the pictures of Manchester with the unsavory characters are limited to an out-of-the-way hallway in a basement-level floor.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Yes, I wasn't too impressed with this property either but now seeing this will make it easy to never return!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:01 pm

This was actually headlines while we were there on the newspaper that they delivered to our door, I was disappointed to learn this as our experience at the Hyatt Manchester was fantastic. Our room was fabulous and the staff were excellent, I couldn't fault the hotel and must say it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The freight train did wake me most nights however I think every hotel in the area would have had the same problem.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
Unhappy Jan. 09 update

Gold Passport member; staying here now. The hotel is nowhere near full, the staff is surly and unwilling to even acknowledge the Gold Passport perks. You better be fully aware and willing to constantly ask. The internet is spotty and expensive.

The rooms are hot at night, but if you open the window you risk hearing loud train whistles many times each night! Stay at the Marriott next door instead.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, Hertz 5*, WN CP A-List, US SP
I seriously doubt the train noise will be absent at the Marriott! I stayed there back in Dec and had a good experience. The staff i encountered was very friendly and helpful.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Need advice on Manchester Grand; which room?

Staying here for a convention next year and I'm looking at either the Deluxe Bay View king or the Grand Club room. Specifically, I'd like to know if

A. Any difference in room size
B. Ditto for bath
C. The concierge level room only says you either get city or bay view. Is this saying it's "request only" and you get what they give you?

I guess the capper would be...does the corner room's view trump whatever the Grand Club room has to offer or are the views the same?

Any and all input appreciated
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Are you diamond with Hyatt? The Manchester Grand has two towers. The older (and smaller one) is where the Grand Club is located. I was at this property earlier this year on a FFN stay. Originally, they placed me in the newer tower, but I asked to be moved to the older tower because it is a good walk between the two towers. I got a room with a pretty good view of the waterfront (I was able to see the USS Midway museum and the movement of naval ships from Coronado.)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:27 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
My recommendation it to stay away from the Manchester Hyatt.

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.