Search

How much is a point worth?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Value of A GP Point

How do you value Gold Passport points? I've been taking a look and for me, I use a rate of $275 per night including taxes as a ballpark figure. This is because of the hotels we frequent and the time of year we travel. I know this figure can be and is much higher for some properties.

For example, we use the Waikiki property in a lower season so the rates aren't that high. IF we were paying, we would, at a minimum, pay for partial ocean view, so the rate would be at least $275.

That comes out to .0183 per point for us without including the value of the diamond upgrade & regency club access. Plus, Hyatt points are hard to come by.

I know that using the Maui or Kauai properties bring the point value even higher.

So, what do you folks think?

Mary
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
That comes out to .0183 per point for us without including the value of the diamond upgrade & regency club access. Plus, Hyatt points are hard to come by.

So, what do you folks think?

Mary
I think that is a pretty fair estimate, most people seem to give GP points a value of 1.5 - 2 cents.

For the last few years with all the FFNs around I’ve only used points for awards that would be a bit out of control to actually pay $ for, like a suite in Kauai. Which would push the value for me above 4 cents each.

Like the OP mentioned, GP points are hard to come by. They are not like HH or airline points.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:51 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I tend to look at it a little bit differently. How much revenue do I have to spend to get a free night in Maui, which I use as my standard? (Paris, Tokyo, Sydney, London, etc. would add more value to a "point")

With your method and $300 for a night in Maui, and a point is worth exactly 2 cents.

More important to me is that I have to spend about $2300 to get the 15,000 points required. But I can refine this calculation further. Assume an average of 1300 bonus points per stay (a G1 and airline bonus), and I have to do about 6 one night stays to get a free night in Maui, spending $185 per night on eligible charges.. This blows away SPG, and we are not even considering FFNs.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:15 am

I would buy GP points for 1 cent and I would sell mine for 1.5 cents. So I value them somewhere between 1-1.5 cents. But I normally value miles and points lower than most people (for example, I only value FF miles at 1 cent/mile and HH points at 0.5 cents/point). I agree with others, with FFN promos frequently running, I have found it unnecessary to have to use my points recently. If Hyatt stops (or slows down) the FFN promos, the GP point value for me will go up.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by divaof travel
...This blows away SPG, and we are not even considering FFNs.
I feel exactly the same way, but don't understand why many of the SPG, and to a lessor degree Hilton and Marriott, people don't get it.

I always save up my point for special locations such as Paris-Vendome, Kauai, or PHT so I value them greatly at around $.03 - $.05. Though I probably wouldn't have gone to these places without GP.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
............so I value them greatly at around $.03 - $.05.
Wow, wanna buy some for 1.5 cents? See my above post........
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Wow, wanna buy some for 1.5 cents? See my above post........
Now if you're talking airline miles for 1 cent each, that's a good deal.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
[QUOTE=Tummy]I feel exactly the same way, but don't understand why many of the SPG, and to a lessor degree Hilton and Marriott, people don't get it.
QUOTE]

I am a big fan of Hyatt Gold Passport, but I can understand the Loyalty to SPG...they have a room, you get it...that is a HUGE benefit, not to mention many more locations.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I am a big fan of Hyatt Gold Passport, but I can understand the Loyalty to SPG...they have a room, you get it...that is a HUGE benefit, not to mention many more locations.
You can get the same benefit (with 60% more points) if you're plat or diamond with Hyatt.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt - Diamond, NW - Gold
How much is a point worth?

Hello All:

I am quite new to all this.

I was curious as to how you guys value Hyatt Gold Passport points.

Based on your experiences using award reservations... what is your estimate for how much a point is worth?

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:56 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

creativethinker - welcome to Flyertalk and our Hyatt forum. My own valuation of points is about 1.5 cents - many people value them around 2 cents.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I value them higher.

Right now, I'm saving for 10 nights in a 1 bedroom suite in Kauai, making them worth more like .04 to me.

Even for a regular reward, I value them slightly higher because I mostly go to resorts.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
This is a pretty easy question to answer in just two words:

"It depends."

If you really want to put a value on them, I'd put it at 2.0 cents per mile, if I don't get that kind of value I'd usually rather pay for a room.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'll spend 2 cents to earn an additional point - and I'll redeem at some higher level. For example, when we got a coupon to earn 1000 points for a meal at a Hyatt, I was happy to go to my local Hyatt, spend $15 on lunch, and earn my 1000 points.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:15 pm

I value them around 2 cents each

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I value them higher.

Right now, I'm saving for 10 nights in a 1 bedroom suite in Kauai, making them worth more like .04 to me.

Even for a regular reward, I value them slightly higher because I mostly go to resorts.
I'm also planning on blowing a bunch of points for a suite in Kauai, but if I did not have the points, I would not pay a $1,000+ a night for that same room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.