Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevneerg
Several other people mentioned Granvia...maybe that's a good alternative. I'll look into it for my next visit.
Do test it out- most people consider the Hyatt significantly better than the Granvia. It would be great to have a head to head comparison of your experience to help others decide. In general- hotels in Kyoto are quite expensive- personally I have had only good experiences at the HR and do recommend it to my friends and business colleagues.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:54 am

I'm an ardent Hyatt fan, but after staying in the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto, I think I'm going to plan my trips there next time. Food was good and location was great.

For local transportation, consider the 500¥ all day card for the local buses. I'm not a bus rider at home, but I found it convenient in Kyoto.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you're not price sensitive that might work... But whenever I want to stay, the rates are nearly double than those of the HR. The rooms might be a bit larger, but that's not often a major factor for me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by op487062
I'm an ardent Hyatt fan, but after staying in the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto, I think I'm going to plan my trips there next time. Food was good and location was great.

For local transportation, consider the 500¥ all day card for the local buses. I'm not a bus rider at home, but I found it convenient in Kyoto.
I tend to agree with you, but I genuinely don't think you can go wrong with either. Both have their pros and cons.

I think this hotel may be one of the most best HRs worldwide.

I also feel that way about the RC Kyoto.

Win win? All depends on the wallet I suppose.

I think it's worth noting that, for a Hyatt Regency, the Virtuoso benefits are very substantial...much stronger than Indian Wells, Lake Tahoe, Aruba, Nice, etc. Stronger than the RC, too, even when the RC is running a promo.

The benefits are:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability

Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests

$100 USD Food & Beverage credit, to be utilized during stay

50% off of any treatment at our Riraku Spa, throughout the stay of the guests.

Complimentary pick-up service at JR Kyoto Station, at platform upon ARRIVAL.

Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability

----

FWIW: I really don't think the location is that bad. And after reading over the past few pages of this thread, I still don't get it. I guess personal preference?

Last edited by pricesquire; Oct 29, 2014 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by admo415
We are planning to stay for four nights August 22nd - 26th.

Is the 3,000 yen coupon still available? My wife is Diamond level if that impacts the coupon.

We are using points + cash for our stay.
I just checked into this property today and was told the coupon is no longer available -- only thru September. Front desk said they would offer 10% off food and beverage and spa -- which is pretty much what they offer anyone at hyatt.com.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
FWIW: I really don't think the location is that bad. And after reading over the past few pages of this thread, I still don't get it. I guess personal preference?
My wife and I personally thought the location was great. It is a quick walk to the Keihan Main Line, which allows you easy access to lots of attractions around the city, including many restaurants in the Pontocho-dori section. It is also a relatively short (and quite peaceful walk through back streets) to the main Kyoto station and JR main line. We also were able to walk to Kiyomizu-dera and a few other small temples and shrines. If we ever go back to Kyoto, I would have no issues staying here again.

Make sure you try a Wagyu sandwich at Hafuu... ^
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmrisko
My wife and I personally thought the location was great. It is a quick walk to the Keihan Main Line, which allows you easy access to lots of attractions around the city, including many restaurants in the Pontocho-dori section. It is also a relatively short (and quite peaceful walk through back streets) to the main Kyoto station and JR main line. We also were able to walk to Kiyomizu-dera and a few other small temples and shrines. If we ever go back to Kyoto, I would have no issues staying here again.

Make sure you try a Wagyu sandwich at Hafuu... ^
I agree with this entirely - sandwich included
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by lettezilla
Too bad, we really enjoyed using the coupon earlier this month! We used it for drinks at happy hour and then one night went up to grab a pizza and then came back down for another drink, which ended up being silly cheap.

We really enjoyed our two stays at the HRK. One stay we were in a garden room near the bar, which was small but decent. The other we were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to the room with the giant wooden tub looking out into the gardens across the street. Fabulous room, and what an amazing bathroom!
That coupon was the best thing I've ever encountered in this miles and points game. One night I paid about $5 USD for drinks in the basement...went upstairs to the lobby for Caesar Salads for $2 USD then upstairs to get two pizzas (two rooms) and wine and paid about $5. We asked multiple times if the coupon was reusable and never did anyone stop us. I even stopped showing the coupon and they would automatically apply it. It almost seemed as if they wanted to lose money on it. Only one night do I believe they actually made a profit off of me dining at the hotel, and that was the night I decided to get a steak and spent about $35 USD on something that was otherwise around $65.

Best coupon offer ever!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
While at HRK discovered that the Touzan Bar on level B1 offers a 50% off happy hour from 17:00-19:00 every day. Well worth it if you like a cocktail after a tough day walking around temples.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
At a stay earlier this month, the 10% GP discount for dining was not automatically taken off the bill at either Touzan or Sette. Did not bother to bring it up with the servers. It was automatically taken off the bill at checkout, but no indication that there was any discount, just a lower charge than what I had signed for.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
While at HRK discovered that the Touzan Bar on level B1 offers a 50% off happy hour from 17:00-19:00 every day. Well worth it if you like a cocktail after a tough day walking around temples.
Great deal!

A number of locations in Japan offer very good value Happy Hours and given that drinks can be quite expensive this is an excellent way to check out some new venues without spending a small fortune!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
One small point: If you go in during happy hour will be presented with the slightly limited happy hour menu rather than the full menu. If you want to order the Diamond complimentary welcome drinks, just mention it and they'll let you select from the full menu. You can off course order happy hour drinks and save the complimentary drinks for use at one of the restaurants or later in the evening at the bar.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Kyoto

644-2 Sanjusangendo-mawari Kyoto, JP 605-0941

Hyatt Regency Kyoto (1 Photo)

Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Check In

Checked in for one night this week on GP points. Arrived around midday and front desk agent said there were no upgrades available because they were busy and the room would not be ready until 1:30PM. As the wiki says a little prodding may be required I produced my iPhone which showed all rooms on sale. Agent then offered a Deluxe Corner King, however tried to dissuade us by saying "it's very far and has no view." I said, we'd take it.

Room

Room was immediately available. Curiously, the hotel didn't take any credit card authorisation. It was only a night, and we were planning to stay out, however I have never stayed in a room that was 28 square metres in my life. The room was large and felt very calming. The view from the window was impressive to us! We tried to use a spa/jacuzzi and even with the price of 3,400 yen you cannot do so without adding a massage treatment which was disappointing.

Service

Concierges were very good at helping us choose which sights to see during our 24 hours in town.

Dining

We did the tasting menu at Touzan, however were told 8PM was the earliest they could fit us in. We arrived to a very empty restaurant and the meal took over 2 hours by which time we were falling asleep. Highly recommend the sake tasting which includes 4 glasses for 2,200 yen. Staff didn't remove the welcome drinks or apply the 10% discount, however it had been fixed by checkout as the bill was less than what we signed for. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good and the chefs gladly made eggs to order.

Overall

Overall a very beautiful hotel (despite their images on the website of the building), but we're glad we chose the St Regis in Osaka as our base.

Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Kyoto?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just checked in.... Bit of a strange reservation as a result of some late minute changes and limited availability due to the fall tourist season and holiday weekend. Originally had two nights booked in a king but at the last minute decided to travel with my dad so a single room wouldn't cut it. For the first night no twin rooms were available so I decided to splash a bit and book a twin deluxe corner room. The second night nothing but a standard twin room was available, but I could get that on points.... Not a bad deal overall even though I would need to switch rooms.

When having breakfast at the HR in Tokyo this morning I saw a twin room opening up for today (I had been monitoring for about a week) and decided to extend my stay with one night. And as hard to believe as it is, this one was also available on points. But the best thing is, even though the hotel was fully booked, they were also able to upgrade me for that first night to the deluxe corner twin I had for the second night.

I'm thrilled since I have never stayed in that room type and I'm sure I will appreciate that bath. And all this with great weather and beautifull fall colours.

So far so good.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:30 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I noticed availability seems to open up closer to the date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.