Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
The agent who checked me in told me the same thing:

"We're giving you the 3000 yen coupon because you booked your reservation on hyatt.com"
Wrong. I had made the reservation by calling Hyatt central reservations in Omaha Nebraska to use Points and Cash.

Then the following week I was told: "We cannot give you the 3000 yen coupon because you did not make the reservation on hyatt.com"
Wrong again. I had made the reservation on hyatt.com using Points.

So what does this all mean. It means if you use Points only, you will not receive the 3000 yen coupon.
Simple enough, so why don't they say that!

Unless of course someone using a full points award night received this 3000 yen coupon?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:35 pm

Stayed here with my fiance a few weeks ago. She's a diamond and we booked with points and received the coupon. ^
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:54 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The property should only make a distinction where it's booked via Hyatt or another 3rd party.

Whether I book on hyatt.com, gold passport.com or through my PL agent is virtually the same.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Unless of course someone using a full points award night received this 3000 yen coupon?
I did, in January. As long as you make the reservation via Hyatt.com (as opposed to a third party), then regardless of whether the stay is paid in cash, points, or some combination, you should be eligible. I assume this extends to reservations made via the HGP phone line as well but I've not tested this.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
As I've said repeatedly, the front desk staff can be very inconsistent. I have no idea why, but I've stayed here more than 35 times now, and have encountered some exceptional staff, but also some that stingy, others that are ignorant of policy, and some just plain incompetent.

I've never stayed on points or C&P, but did receive the coupon twice in July. The T&C do specifically state that the res must be made via Hyatt.com (someone mentioned res on GP.com, which of course is not possible; it redirects to Hyatt.com), but again that policy is quite fuzzy, and I doubt they are really distinguishing between Hyatt.com and phone to GP or Hyatt central res. The might distinguish it from a direct phone to the hotel.

Diamond or other status make no difference.

If you are not offered the coupon, ask for it. If denied, I would suggest pushing back as much as you think is appropriate and that you are comfortable with.

The T&C also state not available with "other special offers", which is probably where the incorrect staff interpretations come in. Some may mistakenly think a points only stay constitutes a "special offer".

If you've read much of this thread, you already know about as much as, and probably more than, the staff checking you in.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
As I've said repeatedly, the front desk staff can be very inconsistent. I have no idea why, but I've stayed here more than 35 times now, and have encountered some exceptional staff, but also some that stingy, others that are ignorant of policy, and some just plain incompetent.
The common elements: lack of training and/or proper performance management. Responsibility: management.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
The common elements: lack of training and/or proper performance management. Responsibility: management.
In Kyoto? Really?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
A few data points from a recent two night stay on C&P. Had a very terse (bordering on unfriendly) check-in clerk, and was surprised on check-in that there was no mention of my Diamond status (had just come from stays at 2 other Hyatts where it was recognized). Was told (unprompted) that I wasn't given an upgrade because the hotel was full. Fortunately I wasn't expecting one. I asked for the 3,000 yen coupon and was told that I wasn't eligible since I didn't book on Hyatt.com, but "I might be able to give you one." I pointed out that I couldn't book the C&P rate on hyatt.com and asked very nicely if she would give me one, and then did receive the coupon.
I wasn't told about the welcome drink for Diamonds, but knew about it from this thread (thanks everyone!), so I asked at the bar and was given the drink with no issues.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by whimsey21
A few data points from a recent two night stay on C&P. Had a very terse (bordering on unfriendly) check-in clerk, and was surprised on check-in that there was no mention of my Diamond status (had just come from stays at 2 other Hyatts where it was recognized). Was told (unprompted) that I wasn't given an upgrade because the hotel was full. Fortunately I wasn't expecting one. I asked for the 3,000 yen coupon and was told that I wasn't eligible since I didn't book on Hyatt.com, but "I might be able to give you one." I pointed out that I couldn't book the C&P rate on hyatt.com and asked very nicely if she would give me one, and then did receive the coupon.
I wasn't told about the welcome drink for Diamonds, but knew about it from this thread (thanks everyone!), so I asked at the bar and was given the drink with no issues.
Got the Coupon on a C&P without asking and the following week on an All Points they wouldn't give it to me saying the reservation had not been made on Hyatt.com when in reality it had. Rather than arguing, I just canceled.

As OsakaWino told us many times before, we shouldn't expect any consistencies from this hotel.
And yes, I agree with you, front desk agents at that hotel are not the most friendly.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
End of the Ą3000 coupon

Just noticed this on their website:

A 10% Dining and Spa Treatment discount for Hyatt Gold Passport Holders

From 1 October 2014 to 31 March 2015, and exclusively at Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Gold Passport holders receive a 10% discount at all restaurants, bars and on spa treatments at our hotel, as well as at the National Museum Restaurant “The Muses”.

Terms and conditions:
*This offer cannot be combined with Spa Packages or other promotions
*The offer does not apply to Mini-Bars
*The 3000 Yen Discount Coupon promotion is expired on 30 September 2014
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
Too bad, we really enjoyed using the coupon earlier this month! We used it for drinks at happy hour and then one night went up to grab a pizza and then came back down for another drink, which ended up being silly cheap.

We really enjoyed our two stays at the HRK. One stay we were in a garden room near the bar, which was small but decent. The other we were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to the room with the giant wooden tub looking out into the gardens across the street. Fabulous room, and what an amazing bathroom!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm not easily impressed by hotel GMs but when I see this hotel's GM clearing plates AND bringing some orders to tables (at the Grill breakfast). That's certainly something for the good.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:23 pm

Can one of the mods please update the wiki to reflect the discontinuation of the 3,000 JPY coupon and update it with the newest offer:

From 1 October 2014 to 31 March 2015, and exclusively at Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Gold Passport holders receive a 10% discount at all restaurants, bars and on spa treatments at our hotel, as well as at the National Museum Restaurant “The Muses”.

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
We have an upcoming stay here (booked many months ago) and I wrote to the hotel referencing the 3000 Yen coupon discussed here and asking if it would be honored, and they agreed to do so. I will update the thread with my experience (and whether or not we were successful) but thought this might be helpful for those staying here that made reservations early on.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:41 am

Completed a 3 night cash stay as a Diamond recently that left me indifferent.

Arrived at Kyoto station and walked across the street to MK taxi. Told them we wanted to goto the Hyatt and they took care of everything. We booked a regular king room for a special occasion and was not upgraded, which was my expectation based on this thread. However the occasion was acknowledged by the front desk. A half bottle of wine was provided and also the points amenity. Late check-out at 2PM was proactively offered. No other diamond privileges were explained though. Didn't bother to ask since this thread has all the information.

Room is definitely on the smaller side. It's okay for 2 people, but can't imagine a rollaway in there. The room had a card indicating 10% off dining for GP members at any of the restaurants. This is also on their website so we decided to try Touzan, their Japanese restaurant for dinner.

It was fairly quiet and dark when we arrived, but filled up as we left. We had some challenges ordering since our waiter had difficulty with English, which was surprising only because everyone we spoke to up to that point (5 people) was pretty much fluent in English. Pointing and nodding worked best. Food was good and service was friendly. However we had trouble applying the 10% GP discount. Our waiter had no idea what it was and neither did his colleague. We finally pulled it up on our phone to show him and he took our phone to confirm with the manager. This was kind of annoying since the discount is being promoted in room as well as on their website.

The hotel itself is not close to any of the major attractions so we took a cab everywhere. Most cab rides cost us between $10 - $16 and got us to most of the popular attractions.

We had breakfast each morning at the Grill. I thought the breakfast selection was better than Grand Hyatt Tokyo. The hotel seemed pretty full so we had to wait 10 - 15 minutes each morning for a table. Everyone was friendly and I overheard others asking the chefs for custom egg orders, which seemed fine. No bill or anything to sign.

Overall a decent stay, but inconsistent service, poor location and unlikely upgrades are the reasons I won't be rushing back. Will likely try a more centralized location next time unless I can get a good rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.