Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's always the same discussion when a club is closed and it's a planned closure. Any decent property will provide an alternate breakfast, normally in the restaurant.

The 2,500 points will be denied by some (mostly in the US), but in my opinion should also be given... if only for missing the convenience of having a drink when it suits you or for missing the evening snack.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:14 am

In the end, my unhappy departure was more a result of dissatisfaction over the complete lack of communication and/or acknowledgement than points (which go to my employer) or breakfast (which I can't enjoy anyway, with a 3:00AM start to my workday). I have to ask myself: next time I'm in New York, will I return to my "standard" hotel? At this point, doubtful.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think the GH should be chosen for the location above anything else.... And if the rate is decent it can be a good choice. It's a large and pretty average convention/tourist hotel, don't mistake it for anything else.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
agreed, great location... but keep in mind this is a old and dated convention hotel.

Originally Posted by RTW1
I think the GH should be chosen for the location above anything else.... And if the rate is decent it can be a good choice. It's a large and pretty average convention/tourist hotel, don't mistake it for anything else.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not so terribly dated after the renovation I feel.... Just that roomsizes can be awfully small, that is a blast from the past.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Having stayed here over 50 times since 2001, the rooms here are not awfully small for NYC. If you want to experience a small room, try the Hilton down the street on 2nd ave. I had a room about 1/2 the size of the GH standard room.

But I have to say the bathrooms in the standard rooms are very small. The only way to have 2 people in the bath room is if one is showering.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I haven't stayed often.... but you are right, most rooms aren't that bad. But I did have a bathroom where use by one person was pushing it.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by RTW1
I haven't stayed often.... but you are right, most rooms aren't that bad. But I did have a bathroom where use by one person was pushing it.
Indeed, if you weigh much over 200# you could get stuck sitting on the throne as you are wedged between the vanity and the shower ! Have your cell phone with you in case you need to call 911.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Talking

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Indeed, if you weigh much over 200# you could get stuck sitting on the throne as you are wedged between the vanity and the shower ! Have your cell phone with you in case you need to call 911.
It's not just the rooms that have this problem but suites too
I find it odd that when the enormous and expensive renovations were performed none of the hard product design function issues were addressed
Instead completely ignored
The public areas were nicely done over and rooms got the premium lipstick on a pig makeover
Which is to say rooms look more attractive primarily
I'm over 200 haven't gotten stuck but certainly its absurdly awkward and uncomfortable
Better to be a male typically here where one can lift seat and just aim lol
And then your good
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:43 pm

Staying here tonight...gave the hotel another chance after my last debacle here. Diamond check in was in a separate area to the side of the regular check in. Was upgraded to a presidential suite. Probably the best free upgrade I have ever had as a diamond. The room is almost as big as my house.....wow.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Staying here tonight...gave the hotel another chance after my last debacle here. Diamond check in was in a separate area to the side of the regular check in. Was upgraded to a presidential suite. Probably the best free upgrade I have ever had as a diamond. The room is almost as big as my house.....wow.
They're impressive rooms.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Diamonds always get that at the new Park Hyatt New York
Really feel like I valued guest
Its just to much space for me to navigate
I have to beg them to downgrade me
To The Grand Hyatt's credit one thing they have always been day of check in is Diamond friendly sometimes exceeding expectations
I wish they could teach that to the Park Hyatt New York folks who have some serious catching up to do in room upgrades forget the Pres Suite!
How about a Jr suite without asking to take a loan with dozens of empty rooms
Old May 3, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
To The Grand Hyatt's credit one thing they have always been day of check in is Diamond friendly sometimes exceeding expectations
I wish they could teach that to the Park Hyatt New York folks who have some serious catching up to do in room upgrades forget the Pres Suite!
How about a Jr suite without asking to take a loan with dozens of empty rooms
Exactly. Really pleasant stay. Had a one night weekend stay recently, came into the city by train early and wanted to drop off our bags. Room wasn't ready (nor did we expect it to be), so instead of asking for our bags they just put us in a high floor VIP suite. Of course, that was very very nice - if you're booking these though, be aware that they still have the absolutely miniscule bathrooms (with showers, not baths), and the VIP room side of the suite was a little tired, but still, perhaps it's more Hyatt competition, perhaps just our luck, but it sure seems like the last 2 times we've been here, (when the 5th Andaz isn't doable), they've done a great job here with diamond recognition.

Club was, of course, crowded, but the food and drinks were very decent, and the staff very attentive.

Overall, couldn't be beat for the price, and frankly felt much better than the very large touristy place that it is.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and used a suite upgrade. Got a funny shaped room which they claimed was a suite but had all the features of an Executive King, based on the web site, and none of the features of a Junior Suite.

I've had these rooms before and they curve around a stairwell so a sort of zig-zag shaped.

The hotel accepted that the web site was misleading and that my reservation was split in to a bedroom and living room as two separate rooms in one booking, but could do nothing about it.

Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:04 am

Hungry All?

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/5...ebuts-new-menu

Wine Anyone?
http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/5...w-york-central

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 17, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.