Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Just a heads-up: The Grand Club policy is to begin the hot food service at breakfast 30 minutes after opening. So as it opens at 7:00am on Saturday and Sunday, the hot items don't come out until 7:30am. Verified by staff.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by thucanhho
I will be in NYC with my 5 and 6 year old for 4 nights. Can't decide between between Hyatt Time Square, Lex 48, or HG (all at about the same price.) Is it bad that I'm leaning towards GH because the lounge and access to food area at Grand Central makes it easier than making reservations with young kids?

Which hotel will give me the best chance of being upgraded to a slightly larger space so I can get some work done when kids are sleeping. I have already committed all my DSUs and points to more aspirational properties.
Hi!
Will be making a NYC trip with wife and 2&3 year olds in a few weeks. Any insight on best hyatt for family (was leaning towards grand...)

Thanks,
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by d20513
Hi!
Will be making a NYC trip with wife and 2&3 year olds in a few weeks. Any insight on best hyatt for family (was leaning towards grand...)

Thanks,
Decided and staying at Hyatt Time Square now. Using MTA stops at Time Square is a bad idea because sidewalk packed like sardines. Had a complimentary 2 level upgrade to the Deluxe View King C(got it because I requested a tub for my kids) and although it is nice, it is tight. My recommendations:

1. Park Hyatt award double is ADA and 800+ sf (but will be difficult to get).

2. Andaz 5th Ave with DSU gets you Splash Suite

3. Andaz Wall street- but far from everything

4. Lex 48 may also be too tight and I have no experience with GH

Biggest recommendation: Gazillion Bubble Show. (can get 1/2 off tickets at TKTS. South St. Seaport location is close to Andaz Wall Street and also offers tickets for next day matinee.) Will fill entire theatre with bubbles. My 5 yo said "AWWESOOME" at least 10 times.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by d20513
Hi!

Thanks,
Dsu at the grand gets you a decent sized one bedroom suite. It has a sitting area that could fit a crib. Time square rooms are tiny although I have yet to experience a suite there.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My recommendations:
For a family with a 2&3 year old... not really...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1

Can I ask why not since my kids are just a couple of years older and this is what I would choose. I'm looking at it from the family's perspective versus hotels or other guests.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Sorry my post is a little outdated, but oh well.

Stayed at the Time Square in July and although not my favorite regarding location, was great with kids. Room was very quiet. Best thing was that they had true 2 queens that was perfect for my family of 4 (my kids are bigger so more space at night). The hotel room size is actually great considering it is NYC, bathroom was nicely appointed as well. The trick for us to avoid the crowd in TS was to turn left upon exiting the hotel.

I have stayed at the Andaz (both), 48 and like TS one best for family. Have not stayed at the GHNY though. I tried to get into a Andaz 5th, but most of the rooms are for <4 people including the splash and loft suite.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:08 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eunduklee
I was met with a GM named Luke. Luke who was one of the best General Manager said he was sorry and went to work right away
Agreed - he is a very good GM
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Can I ask why not since my kids are just a couple of years older and this is what I would choose. I'm looking at it from the family's perspective versus hotels or other guests.
I second that "why not" - that list looks spot on to me.

I'm trying to get a hotel for a night before our JFK-YVR flight next June. I didn't even see this thread until now, but my search naturally followed thucanhho's list. I'm probably going to book the Andaz now and wait to see if space at the PH opens. My daughter is two now and will be 3 by that trip. My search wouldn't be different if I had a 2nd child.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Does anyone know why lounge access is not included at this hotel when staying in a suite? I have asked customer service twice now, but I still can't quite believe it. Everywhere else in the world (and this is my first visit to NYC and the first time in 25 years to the US) if you stay in a suite (either points upgrade or paid), and the hotel has a lounge, you get lounge access.

They told me I could pay $100 a night extra if I wanted it. Or use 3,000 points per night. Staying 8 nights, 4 as a suite upgrade, and 4 paid. I said no thank you and that it was kind of outrageous to think I would. I am miffed and peeved.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by keiko
Does anyone know why lounge access is not included at this hotel when staying in a suite? I have asked customer service twice now, but I still can't quite believe it. Everywhere else in the world (and this is my first visit to NYC and the first time in 25 years to the US) if you stay in a suite (either points upgrade or paid), and the hotel has a lounge, you get lounge access.

They told me I could pay $100 a night extra if I wanted it. Or use 3,000 points per night. Staying 8 nights, 4 as a suite upgrade, and 4 paid. I said no thank you and that it was kind of outrageous to think I would. I am miffed and peeved.
If you've read any recent reviews of this hotel, you may be better off going to another of the Hyatt NYC properties anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Unfortunately, this is the only Hyatt with a lounge in NYC. So if lounge is important to you, you may need to cough up the fee (or sneak in as many guest/non guest are doing )

As I understand it, a suite upgrade does not entitle the guest to Diamond benefits (breakfast, late checkout, 1000 checkin amenity, etc). So I would not think lounge access will be included with a suite.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

As a very general rule, suites in the US do not come with club access - usually internationally it does - YMMV though.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by keiko

Suites within the Hyatt brand, especially in the United States, don't automatically include lounge access. If you've been granted access to the lounge in the past, you've been lucky. If you want lounge access, pay for it.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:30 am

I don't see the value of club lounges in general. As a Diamond, I try to avoid them so I can have breakfast in the restaurant. With other chains, I'm unwilling to pay the difference - I can probably buy myself a better breakfast with the savings and have money left over. I'd never go out of my way to pay more for one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.