Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Hyatt Points Expire?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Do Hyatt Points Expire?

I have not stayed in a Hyatt for years but I have over 100,000 points. DO they expire? Do I need to be concerned? If so, what's the easiest way to generate some token activity? I was looking for a co-branded Visa or something but I don't see anything like that on Hyatt's site. Didn't they used to have one?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:12 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Hyatt points don't officially expire. However, if there is no activity over a long period they may suspend your account and you will have to request that they reinstate the account and the associated points. No, they never did have any co-branded credit cards.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Under Gold Passport General Terms & Conditions #3:

"A member's Hyatt Gold Passport membership may be discontinued at Hyatt Gold Passport's discretion if a member does not record Hyatt Gold Passport points or Airline miles activity during any consecutive 12-month period. All Hyatt Gold Passport points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

I have no idea how or when this is enforced.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton gold
I had an account from 1996 that I forgot about.Lost my number andgot a new one in 1997.Found the old card earlier this year and booked an award trip with the old points.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by jim5518
I had an account from 1996 that I forgot about.Lost my number andgot a new one in 1997.Found the old card earlier this year and booked an award trip with the old points.
Wow, that's nice of them! ^
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Under Gold Passport General Terms & Conditions #3:

"A member's Hyatt Gold Passport membership may be discontinued at Hyatt Gold Passport's discretion if a member does not record Hyatt Gold Passport points or Airline miles activity during any consecutive 12-month period. All Hyatt Gold Passport points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

I have no idea how or when this is enforced.

To wake up an old thread with new information... My wife has an account with 12,000ish points and the last activity was March 2012. I was worried they'd expire, per the T&C above. I called, and found out that starting January 2016, any accounts with inactivity greater than 2 years will expire. Basically they're extending the policy, but will actually be enforcing it starting then. Also, according to the csr, "a chase transfer with as little as 500 points will count as activity."
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bthomas362
To wake up an old thread with new information... My wife has an account with 12,000ish points and the last activity was March 2012. I was worried they'd expire, per the T&C above. I called, and found out that starting January 2016, any accounts with inactivity greater than 2 years will expire. Basically they're extending the policy, but will actually be enforcing it starting then. Also, according to the csr, "a chase transfer with as little as 500 points will count as activity."
I think that dining when not a registered guest, credit card activity, or transfer out to airline miles would all account for activity. Beware though that some of these activities can take a while before it hits the account.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by peteropny
I think that dining when not a registered guest, credit card activity, or transfer out to airline miles would all account for activity. Beware though that some of these activities can take a while before it hits the account.
My last activity was May 2012 when I bought some in a Daily Deals promo. Life throws curveballs and have been out of the points & miles loop for a while lol To confirm, with this new 2-yr rule, am I am good through 1/16 unless I have some activity later than 1/14 (i.e., 2 years from any activity occurring beyond 1/14)? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SharonLPK
My last activity was May 2012 when I bought some in a Daily Deals promo. Life throws curveballs and have been out of the points & miles loop for a while lol To confirm, with this new 2-yr rule, am I am good through 1/16 unless I have some activity later than 1/14 (i.e., 2 years from any activity occurring beyond 1/14)? Thanks in advance!
That seems right. AwardWallet says I'm good through 8/25/2016, which makes sense. (I don't know if making a points reservation and later canceling it generates a new activity date.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.