Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Hyatt Time-Share Proposed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Maui Hyatt Time-Share Proposed

Posted on: Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Time-share at Hyatt sought

By Lynda Arakawa
Advertiser Staff Writer

Host Marriott Corp. is proposing to add a 12-story, 121-unit time-share building and pool at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in Ka'anapali.

The Maryland-based company is getting ready to prepare a draft environmental impact statement for the project, which involves redeveloping a four-acre site — primarily a parking lot — adjacent to the 806-room Hyatt Regency hotel.

See link for full article...no subscription or sign-in required
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...601100315.html
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:19 am

Hmmm, interesting. From the article it seems like they would rip out the tennis courts and replace it with some type of parking structure. I'm sure there could be a better use of the current parking lot (Whalers Village-side) that is North of the hotel........and probably a better use of the one that is South of the hotel (Lahaina-side) as well now that I think about it. And that big huge green lawn that is just next to the Hyatt toward Whalers Village is just ripe for some type of construction.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:43 pm

The Maui Ocean Club is already adding two more timeshare towers at the Marriott next door. They are tearing down the existing Marriott parking lot on the Hyatt side.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:26 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Kaanapali will be looking more more and like Waikiki. All concrete right to the beach.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
And with all the new construction, getting there from OGG will be even more pleasant than it is now! I think that notwithstanding Hyatt's presence there I will try to stick to Wailea.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

Wow, after 7 years of no news, it looks like this is finally actually happening:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hya...ach-2012-11-20

I wonder if the plan is still to build a new parking structure for the existing Hyatt?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:57 am

They had started work on the sales offices (located in the Napili Tower) when I was there in December.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused: Marriott will be managing a time share property on the premises of a Hyatt? Will the Marriott time share fractional owners be able to use the Hyatt hotel's facilities? This could lead to some interesting allocations of costs and fees.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
It is indeed happening. The 131 unit development will, from what I have been told, be in that front parking lot, and construction will begin soon. The parking lost will be replaced by increasing the size of the back (valet) lot and by adding more parking in what is now open ground down by the tennis courts. I have walked down there some, and there is lots of just plain green grass next to the golf course that could be put to some use.

If you are planning to stay there anytime this spring/summer, I would recommend avoiding the Napili tower to miss the noise and visual occlusion from construction. They have worked hard to minimize it, and have had several noise mitigation meetings with the local government, but building things makes noise. And the traffic will be a mess getting into and out of the hotel.

That being said, I have stayed there before when exterior painting, tree trimming, and other types of maintenance was being done, and they are pretty respectful of the guests' experience while doing so. So plan accordingly. If you think you would prefer the new Andaz in Wailea, go for it. We might go to the Maui HR anyway, or may go to Kauai this year.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused: Marriott will be managing a time share property on the premises of a Hyatt? Will the Marriott time share fractional owners be able to use the Hyatt hotel's facilities? This could lead to some interesting allocations of costs and fees.
No, "Host Marriott" is not actually Marriott the hotel chain - they're a separate company which owns the Hyatt Regency Maui and I think they've changed their name in the last 7 years to "Host Hotels & Resorts". They also own a wide range of Hyatts, Westins, Ritz Carltons, Marriotts, Four Seasons, etc. (including the Hyatt SFO & Manchester Grand Hyatt among others).

This is going to be a Hyatt time share property called "Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach, a Hyatt Residence Club"

I'm still not 100% clear what the difference between a Hyatt Residence club and Hyatt Vacation club is - does anything know the difference? Is it called a Hyatt Residence Club for the time share owners, and Hyatt Vacation club for people renting nightly rooms at the same property without having fractional ownership?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by oc2005
No, "Host Marriott" is not actually Marriott the hotel chain - they're a separate company which owns the Hyatt Regency Maui and I think they've changed their name in the last 7 years to "Host Hotels & Resorts". They also own a wide range of Hyatts, Westins, Ritz Carltons, Marriotts, Four Seasons, etc. (including the Hyatt SFO & Manchester Grand Hyatt among others).

This is going to be a Hyatt time share property called "Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach, a Hyatt Residence Club"

I'm still not 100% clear what the difference between a Hyatt Residence club and Hyatt Vacation club is - does anything know the difference? Is it called a Hyatt Residence Club for the time share owners, and Hyatt Vacation club for people renting nightly rooms at the same property without having fractional ownership?
Thanks. I saw the word Marriott and was surprised without thinking about what Host Marriott is.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You didn't read the article in the OP I guess. They explain it all, including the difference between Host Marriott and Marriott and ownership of the Hyatt and who will operate the timeshare property.

-David
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Hyatt started with timeshare with Sunset Harbour in Key West over 20 years ago using the name Hyatt Vacation club.

With several recent properties being fractionals (multiple weeks sold as 1 package), they are now using the newer term Hyatt Residence club.

Maui broke grounds sometime last fall... I think scheduled for 2014 completion.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Some of us HVC/HRC owners have been lobbying for Hyatt to consider letting HVC stay count towards GP Elite qualification for stays and/or nights. Marriott does it from what I heard from someone I know but I might have been mistaking it for Sheraton Vacation Ownership rules since he owns both. At least one of those RC counts stays and/or nights.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:41 am

My wife and I love Kaanapali Beach. With the timeshares going in, it is getting crowded. We went there for the first time in 1994. The Whaler and the Kaanapali Alii were the only non hotel properties at the time. The Maui Marriott has been converted into a timehare and then they built two new buildings over the past couple of years. Now, the Hyatt is going to add a timeshare. I have nothing against timeshares. Usually the host property builds a nice unit. The problem is occupancy.

Tne new Hyatt timeshare will have 131 rooms. If that was a hotel, you would have an occupancy of 262 to 524 (2 to 4 per room). Being a timeshare, your looking at 262 to as much a 1048 (2 to 8 per room). Getting a dinner reservation anywhere on Kaanapali Beach is tough now. Add in another 1,000 per night, OUCH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.