Search

Hyatt Buys Summerfield Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Hyatt Buys Summerfield Suites

Hyatt Buys Extended Stay Summerfield Suites Brand

DECEMBER 01, 2005 -- Global Hyatt Corporation today confirmed it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the 21-hotel Summerfield Suites brand and franchise system for an undisclosed price. The deal, which is expected to close early next year, follows Hyatt's acquisition of AmeriSuites and subsequent development of the Hyatt Place brand (BTN, Oct. 17).

Although initial speculation suggested Hyatt would roll the upper upscale extended stay brand into the newly created Hyatt Place, Hyatt in a statement said it would create a new brand in the extended stay category.

"Global Hyatt will develop an extended stay prototype concept for new-build hotels and new brand standards criteria for converting existing Summerfield Suites hotels to a new Hyatt-branded extended stay product," the company said in a statement.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Wow, Hyatt really is on a spending spree these days... Is the Wyndham brand the next step?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:06 pm

Thats great but there rates are more then some Hyatts and there is still no stay credit. The only way I am staying at these places is 3000 GP point awards until we start getting stay credit.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bbbb
Thats great but there rates are more then some Hyatts and there is still no stay credit. The only way I am staying at these places is 3000 GP point awards until we start getting stay credit.
No stay credit and no Diamond Amenity. 3K/nights is very good redemption value, however, if you can find a decent Hawthorn/Amerisuites.

So they are developin another brand beside he Hyatt Place. Maybe they will then combine Hawthorn and Summerfield to great a Hyatt Stay-brand?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The excitement at Hyatt continues

Hyatt Buys Extended Stay Summerfield Suites Brand

DECEMBER 01, 2005 -- Global Hyatt Corporation today confirmed it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the 21-hotel Summerfield Suites brand and franchise system for an undisclosed price. The deal, which is expected to close early next year, follows Hyatt's acquisition of AmeriSuites and subsequent development of the Hyatt Place brand (BTN, Oct. 17).

Although initial speculation suggested Hyatt would roll the upper upscale extended stay brand into the newly created Hyatt Place, Hyatt in a statement said it would create a new brand in the extended stay category.

"Global Hyatt will develop an extended stay prototype concept for new-build hotels and new brand standards criteria for converting existing Summerfield Suites hotels to a new Hyatt-branded extended stay product," the company said in a statement.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Very interesting locations in the various cities as well.

I just checked a few of the ones that I would use for my own travel or to store relatives during holidays, and they looked all right.

Certainly they are better than the corresponding AmeriSuite locations that would be the low-cost alternative for redeeming points.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Muerz
Wow, Hyatt really is on a spending spree these days... Is the Wyndham brand the next step?
Wyndham is now part of Cendant (Ramada, Days Inn, Howard Johnson, Wingate, Travelodge, Knights Inn, Super 8, Avis, Budget).
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
These extended stay acquistions don't mean squat to me.. I'm only interested in places that I can earn Stay credit toward Diamond Requal.. earn FFN bonuses.. receive diamond amenities..

I guess the reward redemption is ok.. but thats not much of a selling point for me
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I have no inside track to make this statement but it is of my personal opinion over time we will see some dramatic improvements to this and perhaps the other new brands with the long time "Hyatt Touch"
With that said I would not be surprised as well if we see some of these newly aquired brands merge more fully into the Gold Passport program.

For today I am mighty satisfied with the wealth of Hyatt stay opportunities we have available at present.
Of course more ability to earn stay credit and have more earning opportunities would just enhance more of a good thing.

Whatever happens Summerfield Suites and the others can only improve over time with the Hyatt Brand behind it.......
It always blurred in my mind as to who was behind the other brands prior in a crowded field of others
Hyatt will thrust them all into the spotlight IMO
It's going to be a very interesting future that is for sure
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
As a frequent visitor to Orlando, I spotted at least one, but I think more likely two properties there. In fact, it was in MCO where I first noticed this brand. I just surfed around the Summerfield Suites website and could not find any property in MCO. Does anyone happen to know what happened to these hotels?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:36 am
Suspended

It is another acquisation that makes sense assuming they want to grow the Hyatt Place brand.

I would like to see adding them at least 0.5 stay credits per Hyatt Place for GPP requalification though.

Redemption value at 3000 points per night however is leading the industry without any doubt...
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Summersfield suites are now announced on goldpassport.hyatt.com
Still no stay credit the way I read this:

Summerfield SuitesŪ Joins Gold Passport in March 2006
Hyatt Gold PassportŪ is pleased to announce its newest hotel partner, Summerfield SuitesŪ. Beginning March 1, 2006, Gold Passport members can earn and redeem free nights at over 20 Summerfield SuitesŪ locations

also

Beginning March 1, 2006, Hyatt Gold Passport members can earn three points per dollar for every eligible suite rate or 300 airline miles per stay at over 20 Summerfield SuitesŪ locations throughout the U.S. Members may also redeem a free night award for only 3,000 points with no blackout dates or length of stay requirements.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Members may also redeem a free night award for only 3,000 points with no blackout dates or length of stay requirements.
Wow, that's a great deal for 3000 points. I'm slightly pissed that I have yet to set foot in an Amerisuites/Hawthorn even though they are only 3000 pts. I better get on the stick before these 3 chains get raised to 5000 or higher.....
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3K pts is very good redemption value

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Wow, that's a great deal for 3000 points. I'm slightly pissed that I have yet to set foot in an Amerisuites/Hawthorn even though they are only 3000 pts. I better get on the stick before these 3 chains get raised to 5000 or higher.....
I have used both Hawthorn and Amerisuites - in general Amerisuites seem to be of newer properties, but the Hawthorn at Manhattan Beach, CA is less than a year old and very nicely designed in a Mediterranean courtyard fashion.

So far I have used Amerisuites at Scottsdale - very nice location and property; at Flagstaff (Grand Canyon) - decent property; Hawthorn at Manhattan Beach - excellent property and location; Hawthorn at Las Vegas - aweful property; Hawthorn at San Diego - decent location at the Hotel Circle and renovated property (HUGE room). Will use Amerisuites at downtown Atlanta as it is only 2 blocks from Georgia Aquarium.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 24, 2006 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Happy
I have used both Hawthorn and Amerisuites - in general Amerisuites seem to be of newer properties, but the Hawthorn at Manhattan Beach, CA is less than a year old and very nicely designed in a Mediterranean courtyard fashion.
But the manager at this property has some "mental" problems. According to her it must have been my bad karma because the award reservation that I had made with the GP did not show up at the hotel. Other guest who was checking in at the same time had exactly the same problem. Maybe he had bad karma as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.