Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 8:41 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I'm at the Hyatt now. As a lowly Platinum, I got upgraded to a nice room with a large terrace overlooking the pool. but still, like others have commented, the room itself is pretty small. The facilities are great. I came here for tennis and Justin is one of the best pro instructors I've ever had, even for a somewhat advanced player like me. The entrance and lobby are impressive with a really nice outdoor lounge/bar area in the bottom floor. Everything is very hip and modern looking. Compare that to The Phoenician, which I stopped in to check out, which looks so incredibly dated from the 80s or early 90s.

The one complaint though I have is what does this $15/day resort fee pay for? everything is an extra charge--yoga classes, all the on-site hotel programs, internet access, the gondola rides, etc. They don't even give free bottled water. I sometimes feel like I'm being nickled and dimed here for everything.

I wouldn't recommend eating at the hotel restaurant. Food is bland and overpriced. There are too many good restaurants in Scottsdale and Phoenix to pass up.

Last edited by thc; May 25, 2007 at 11:22 pm
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, US Gld
Vu

Noticed the prior post regarding Vu not being full. I suspect the cost may have something to do with it, as it is pricey. But I must say it is without a doubt one of the best dining experiences my wife and I have ever had anywhere in the world. I can't say enough about it. Just FYI
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Was just there over the weekend on FFNs. Pretty much agree with all the posts here in the past - room itself is a little small and a bit dated but certainly not bad - the public areas and grounds are very impressive and well kept. We got a room near the RC which was quite nice (a detail that we didn't like was the "dessert" selection was just cookies and some chocolates - not bad but certainly not impressive). There is a computer in the RC for guest use.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
(a detail that we didn't like was the "dessert" selection was just cookies and some chocolates - not bad but certainly not impressive). There is a computer in the RC for guest use.
I haven't been here in about a year, but they used to have some great chocolate covered strawberries for dessert........^ However you had to get there right at the start of dessert as when I was there last some PIGS got to the strawberries right off the bat and that was the only platter of strawberries they brought out all night (I noticed because the wifey and I were playing Scrabble in the Lounge throughout the whole dessert period). Likewise, you have to get there early during the hor'deurves (sp?) as they only bought one platter of really good large cocktails shrimps out as well. Some PIGS got to those quickly as well..............

Oh yeah, the computer in the RC must be fairly new as well as it wasn't there last time I was there......................................^
Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I haven't been here in about a year, but they used to have some great chocolate covered strawberries for dessert........^ However you had to get there right at the start of dessert as when I was there last some PIGS got to the strawberries right off the bat and that was the only platter of strawberries they brought out all night (I noticed because the wifey and I were playing Scrabble in the Lounge throughout the whole dessert period). Likewise, you have to get there early during the hor'deurves (sp?) as they only bought one platter of really good large cocktails shrimps out as well. Some PIGS got to those quickly as well..............

Oh yeah, the computer in the RC must be fairly new as well as it wasn't there last time I was there......................................^
They definitely weren't there this past Saturday - we got there (again) at about 8:05 when they just put out the "desserts". Well they weren't overrun with "pigs" but "noisy annoying people" this past weekend.

Yes the computer appears new - with Windows Vista installed - it's one of those funky flat screened Sonys.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I haven't been here in about a year, but they used to have some great chocolate covered strawberries for dessert........
They definitely weren't there this past Saturday - we got there (again) at about 8:05 when they just put out the "desserts".
Chocolate-covered strawberries are now back in the Regency Club!

Stayed here in October, and as other posters have mentioned, there were none to be found. Came back a few nights ago, and they are now out every night, done fondue style (they are not pre-prepared--there is a bowl of strawberries (plus blackberries last night), a plate full of wooden skewers, and a heated bowl of either white "chocolate" or milk chocolate for dipping). I haven't had a problem getting them at least a half hour after the dessert was put out.

I mentioned to one of the staff that they hadn't had these on our last stay, and was told they'd been brought back due to "complaints". So, some people must have complained to management that they didn't like the strawberries disappearing, and some action was taken to bring them back.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:01 pm

Pretty much agree with all the posts here in the past - room itself is a little small and a bit dated but certainly not bad - the public areas and grounds are very impressive and well kept.
FYI, I heard from two different sources (one a manager) that room remodels will be started when this winter season ends: new decor, flat-panel TVs, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Hi,

Does anyone know of any ways for internet access other than paying the ~$10 per day? I heard there is a computer near the front desk in the regency club. Anything else?

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The upgrades are done, and the Hyatt Place Brown scheme is throughout all the rooms.

The upgrades include a full room remodel, including bathrooms, TVs, beds, furniture, etc.

One of the lifeguards told me that the exterior features are next - pool equipment, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Gorgeous property with superior service....

Four night stay; altho on FFN stay was placed in a large premium room with an extended balcony overlooking the pool. Fully renovated rooms - greens/browns/beige. Super large shower, no tub. Regency Club offerings good, well stocked and replenished. (follows new corporate mandate of no hot foods in the evening) Dinner in the restaurant was excellent; if you eat in the Italian restaurant you get a gondola ride! Gorgeous property, multiple pools, water slide, small man made beach. Service throughout the hotel was excellent. $25 a day for valet parking; but self parking is easy to reach, is a short walk, plentiful, and is well lit. Save your $$$$.

A couple negs: 1) Most balconies are not private - they are hooked to the next room with only a grid like partition between them. If you want to spend a lot of time on your balcony, and privacy is important to you, be sure to specify that on your res or at check in. 2) If you are not in the same tower as the RC, you will have a long walk.

A great stay. Highly recommend this property. Of particular note is the great service from the staff!

UPDATE: Found out that the RCLub is going to moved to the first floor where the old VUE restaurant was located. This will greatly increase its' size, and add a larger outdoor area for those who use the lounge. ALSO - altho the lounge has traditionally closed during the summer months, the hotel is planning to keep it open on a trial basis this summer. The concierge office will also be moved (to the front desk area) and a "general store" with ice cream etc will open where the concierge staff is currently located.....

Last edited by sophiegirl; Mar 12, 2009 at 8:08 am Reason: update info.....
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Breakfast buffet cost?

Hi,

Does anyone know the approximate cost of the breakfast buffet cost please?

I am looking at hotels in PHX for a week in Late august fro myself and my paresnts before going to Tucson and the Gainey Ranch was offering a Senior Citizen rate ( my dad and mum qualify) for $111 per night which I think is a very good deal ( even allowing for the relatively poor £:$ exchange rate compared to last year) and almost the same price as the hilton Squaw peak in which being a Diamond member in Hilton I would get breakfast coupons.

The hotel does look very nice ( despite a $15? resort fee to use the gym etc)

Thanks very much.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
$111 IS a good deal - and altho you should make a res now, you should also keep checking....they will probably post some deals that will include some type of breakfast as your dates get closer. Be sure to check the Regency Club rates too, as they include breakfast, snacks/soda during the day, and evening apps & dessert. In Scottsdale in Aug free bottled water alone may make the cost worth your while!

I have been to Squaw Peak. It is nice and I would stay there again - but Gainey Ranch is far far better.

I hate resort fees - but in this case the property was so gorgeous I didn't mind!

Ask if you have more questions - otherwise -enjoy!

EDIT: Just pulled up some dates in AUG and got a AAA/CAA rate of $127 that includes breakfast (and a full American one, not just continental) I cannot remember what it costs to join, but you would probably make it back (plus still save) by getting a membership prior to your trip. Depending on where else you are staying, dining, etc - it might be useful there too.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Does anyone know the approximate cost of the breakfast buffet cost please?

I am looking at hotels in PHX for a week in Late august fro myself and my paresnts before going to Tucson and the Gainey Ranch was offering a Senior Citizen rate ( my dad and mum qualify) for $111 per night which I think is a very good deal ( even allowing for the relatively poor £:$ exchange rate compared to last year) and almost the same price as the hilton Squaw peak in which being a Diamond member in Hilton I would get breakfast coupons.

The hotel does look very nice ( despite a $15? resort fee to use the gym etc)

Thanks very much.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by sophiegirl; Mar 15, 2009 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:18 am

I would not let the cost of breakfast push you to hilton Squaw peak. The Hyatt is twice the resort that the hilton is.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:28 pm

I just received an e-mail this morning from Hyatt Gainey Ranch (as did probably all of you who have ever stayed there in the past). It said that the new RC is completed and open for business. The picture on the e-mail looked really nice, it was of a largish outdoor courtyard with tables right next to a nice looking pond and gardens. I guess it is located where the old "Vue" restaurant was so it's certainly well located with a nice view!! ^^^

And the best part is that anybody with RC access gets automatic all-day access to the new Spa Avania!!! If it's anything like the spa-access for Diamonds at GH Kauai, I'm sure I'll enjoy that perk!!!! ^^ Here's the text of the e-mail:

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa is proud to introduce you to its brand new Regency Club. Set in the inviting and stunning beauty of Regency Court, you can unwind on the indoor/outdoor terrace overlooking the serene lagoon, gazebo and lush gardens. Experience personalized concierge service including European-style breakfast, evening hors d'oeuvres and more. You will enjoy daily access to the beautiful Spa Avania including the French Celtic Mineral Pool, steam sauna, hot and cold plunges and fitness facility and stay connected with complimentary internet access in the Club. Reserve your Regency Club accommodations at the resort and be among the first to take in this exclusive experience!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
I stayed here April 20-22 and the new Regency Club is indeed the old Vue Restaurant. Similar spread to the old club, but much more room. Most inside tables are signed for adults only, which led to most of the families with kids being outside in the sunken area that puts you at water level. This made feeding the ducks and koi a popular activity.
I was given a choice of a room on the first floor, which would make access much easier or a top floor room over the pool with the extended balcony #4133, which I took. This did make for a hike to the club, but with so much room and inside/outside tables available, I did not feel my normal need to carry my beverage and snack back to the room.
Bottled water, sodas and snacks were available all day, breakfast was typical fruit, cereal and pastries. Evening snacks were all cold, but some tasty canape style bites. Alcohol is pour your own for $4 wine and $5 cocktails.
Spa and gym access is nice touch, makes this an even better Scottsdale base for me.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.