Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:38 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
1. Are you paying?
2. Are you using points?

I would HIGHLY recommend the casita... We haven't been upgraded to one in over 10 years!

Has anyone else?

Regency Club nice, but check through old posts:

INCREDIBLE breakfast.

Not so great appetizers anymore
WAY too expensive drinks ($13 for a glass of wine...sorry I will buy a bottle!!!)
Cigars being sold in the RC

Front desk VERY hit or miss -- some are incredible and others are a PAIN (i.e. do not care that you are diamond)

Incredible grounds
Incredible pool
Great tennis courts
Okay health club -- one of the first ever built
They are building a whole new spa
Great AREA -- walk to lots of shopping and restaurants
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Great property

If on points, do not expect an upgrade and be grateful if you get one...our experience once in 5 stays. I doubt they are suffering as the Bay area Hyatt's are, but good luck. Any room at this property is great, as the facilities are wonderful and time in your room should be minimal for all the activities in and around the area.

We have not stayed in the Casitas, so have no opinion.

Make sure you eat at least once in the Italian Rest. and take the gondola afterwards (comped). If your lucky you will get one of the better "opera" gondoliers!

Lucky you...and family
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Have stayed in the Casitas many times. They're great but very outrageously priced (I seem to recall $1500+ for a two bedroom not in peak season). I can't imagine them upgrading anyone to them unless you're a close friend of the GM or some Hyatt big wig. The East Casitas have a better, more private location than the West Casitas.

We have stayed at this resort probably 20 times. I doubt there have been more than three times when there hasn't been some problem. Front Desk staff frequently seems too young and disinterested.

I keep hearing about the great breakfast in the Regency Club. I've never found it so special. Some granola, fruit, pastries and I seem to remember some cold cuts. I guess it's OK if you get it for free, but I wouldn't pay to upgrade to the Regency Club to get it.

Not all rooms at the resort are equal. Many of them face a busy and noisy entrance or the noisy Fountain Court (when they have live music late at night). Maybe only 25 or so face the beautiful pools.

Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
It's a very atmospheric hotel in the pool area, particularly at night, and for this alone its worth it. I spent a birthday there drinking far too much and listening to Esteban...

All the comments above are spot-on. The rooms are a mixed bag, as is the staff. The RC is ok.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:50 pm

Since you are going to be there a while they might give you a break on the price of a Casita. $1500 is pretty steep, but they look really cool.

IMO the public areas are very nice, but the rooms are a bit on the non discript side.

As others have said service is hit and miss.

This is a popular property to discuss, as BHH said, if you do a search you will find a plenty of posts.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:48 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Sorry to divert off track there for a second, I should have started a new Denver post, however back to Scottsdale...

FYI in the "good old days" we were upgraded to casitas (1989 - 1991). I know we were upgraded 4th of July 1991, but think also a few labor days after that. Cannot remember off hand.

Really a nice property, they just have to get back to basics. Charging $13 for a glass of wine in the RC is extreme. You can buy a glass of Veuve downstairs for the same price!

Offer vegs and dip, offer cheese and crackers...

Oh...definitely should also be noted, if it has not...CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18? ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE RC AFTER 5PM. PERIOD. If this is a factor to you, please keep it in mind. They will tell you BTW. Kids are allowed in during breakfast, just not at night. You can get things "to-go", but comeon...this is a resort!
Old May 15, 2005, 2:21 pm

Programs: USAir Chairman Preferred, AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Great stay at HR Scottsdale

Just wanted to pass along my recent experience on a FFN stay at the HR Scottsdale. From check-in to check-out, the staff was extremely kind and cheerful. Having told them that we were there to celebrate a birthday, we were upgraded to one of the casitas...which I found to be especially gracious since it was a free stay after all. If you ever get the chance to snag the upgrade to one of these rooms, I highly recommend it. They have their own private entry off to the side of the pools, a private hot tub for each casita village, fireplaces, high-end bathroom amenities, and free snacks in a mini-fridge (to keep you from having to walk to the Regency Club).

Speaking of the Club, that was the one potential drawback of the resort. Unlike many of the other resorts, they do not provide free alcohol. The concierge explained that it might be due to Arizona law (although this struck me as doubtful since the Westin Kierland down the street lets the liquor flow freely in its club). Their food selection was also slightly inferior to what you see at some of the other resorts.

Nevertheless, I have now stayed twice at this property and have had nothing but very positive experiences.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I just stayed there at the end of April on FFN and had a great time. The kids love it. Except for the "no free drinks" problem, the regency club is one of the best I've been to in any hyatt nationwide. Perhaps it does not compare to regency clubs internationally, but I found the food to be better and more substantial than the regency club in London, even. It was substantial enough that all breakfasts, and 2 different dinners, were fully consumed there w/o having to resort to outside sources.

I've seen the casitas but heard they cost 1000+ per night. Had no idea you could ever get into them on FFN or points.
Old May 16, 2005, 5:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Weird, I have stayed their over 10 times, and only once (this March) have I spotted anyone in them. The hotel website said the hotel was sold out, but every casita was empty but the one family that had one. I asumed that they were part of a timeshare to the hotel or something. Glad to see they are using them, I always thought it was a waste leaving them empty all the time.

I was wondering about the Hyatt's availability though. I noticed that the hotel has several sold out days (even if you want to pay) I tried booking Nov 12th and there is nothing available on the Hyatt website. Same with this past march I managed to snag the last room (I guess) but when I arrived the hotel did not seem too busy and all the Casitas but one were definitely empty. Again I checked on the website and it said sold out

As a diamond I get upgraded to a very small room on the RC floor. This is one of my favourite hotels in the US, my only complaint is the rooms must be the smallest ones at any Hyatt I have ever stayed at.

The RC is excellent and it used to have free non-alcoholic drinks left out all day long. Now they only have cheap plastic cups left out and a pticher of water or ice tea in the day time.

What is the real beauty of the resort is the grounds. The pool, gardens and outdoor sitting areas are awesome!

I am sure this is one of the top Hyatts in the USA, and the
Pros
- excellent grounds, gardens and pools
- atmosphere and restaurants
- good RC that is open and this diamond has always had a RC level room
- they now have aveda bathroom products

Cons
- lowest rates of $360 - $500 for much of the year
- very small rooms (if you care about that sort of thing)
- lots of extra charges for things such as pool mats, bikes, internet where at a resort I would hope they might be included.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:42 pm

Yes, the room I was given was very small too. OP must be very luck to get a casitas. With similar prices, the Phoenician is giving me a 600 Sqft room and I was upgraded to a 1,000 Sqft suite. I'm going to Scottsdale end of June (I know, it's going to be hot, hot, hot) and still debating whether I should stay at the Hyatt or Phoenician. The Westin is also very nice and a relatively new hotel.

Does the Hyatt still have live performance just outside the lobby on weekends? Last time I arrived on a Friday night and the music was so loud the I couldn't sleep even though I was very tired. While 10pm is still early for folks there, I want to get a good night sleep considered it was 1am in the east coast and it's the first day I arrived there.
Old May 17, 2005, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Yes, the room I was given was very small too. OP must be very luck to get a casitas. With similar prices, the Phoenician is giving me a 600 Sqft room and I was upgraded to a 1,000 Sqft suite. I'm going to Scottsdale end of June (I know, it's going to be hot, hot, hot) and still debating whether I should stay at the Hyatt or Phoenician. The Westin is also very nice and a relatively new hotel.
For similar prices, stay at the Phoenician. It's a no-brainer.........

Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Does the Hyatt still have live performance just outside the lobby on weekends? Last time I arrived on a Friday night and the music was so loud the I couldn't sleep even though I was very tired. While 10pm is still early for folks there, I want to get a good night sleep considered it was 1am in the east coast and it's the first day I arrived there.
Yes, they still have music on weekends. They even have it on Thursday nights (at least when I stayed there 2 weeks ago). If you don't want to hear the music, ask for a room on the RC floor (if you are Diamond) or else anywhere away from the lobby. They have an ABUNDANCE of rooms that are far from the lobby at this property. BTW, when I stayed there last Thursday they had huge already peeled shrimp as appetizers in the RC. And you gotta love the chocolate covered strawberries that they have for dessert in the RC. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old May 19, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Had a very positive experience at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch last September ^ . I also enjoyed the property; beautiful setting IMHO ^ .
Old May 30, 2005, 10:58 pm

RC Closed for the Summer

Just got back from the Hyatt at Gainey Ranch and was told that the RC is closed for the summer upon arrival. This was extremely disappointing because the restaurant for breakfast was packed. The wait was 45 minutes to be seated and another 20 minutes to get served. This was the case for three consecutive days. I think this was a poor decision on management's part since the hotel was full over Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up Just got back...

Had a great stay at this resort over the weekend. First night had an RC room, but for last 2 night was upgraded to a wonderful Casita. Bummer about the RC being closed, but the $27 breakfast voucher in lieu was worth it, though not the 30-45 minute wait this weekend. Service and grounds were great, no complaints. Definitely will be back.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I'll be going to the Scottsdale property soon and I wondered if anyone could answer a few questions on it...

1) Is the pool area really as awesome as everybody suggests?
2) What kind of room should I ask them for (lowly Platinum )
3) We booked through a tour operator and we got continental breakfast vouchers for free, does this suggest we have Regency Club access?
4) Is it possible to upgrade to full buffet from these vouchers?
5) Has anyone got an e-mail address of the hotel or do I have to write a fax ?
6) Have we chosen the right hotel or should we have opted for the Westin?
7) Is there shopping nearby?
8) Any good places to eat (high-end and not high-end) nearby?
9) Any general tips about this hotel (you know these small things that you usually learn the day you leave)

Thanks in advance for your help, fellas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.