Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone confirm if the hotel has free wifi in the lobby?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:14 am

I recently spent two nights at the hyatt in Johannesburg one week apart. I had booked an airport pickup using the E - concierge. Both times the airport pickup didn't show up. After the first no show I personally confirmed the pick up with the desk. After the second no show they set up wine and fruit and offered a free airport transfer as an apology, but beware to those expecting the airport pickup to work seemlessly.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:01 am

sounding a bit sad

any update to make this an appearling candidate for my patronage
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
sounding a bit sad

any update to make this an appearling candidate for my patronage
Resist the urge to "roll the dice"...book yourself a stay at The Grace Rosebank and you'll have a fantastic stay (assuming Rosebank is where you want to be). This Hyatt is just too inconsistent--over MANY years and managers!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Thumbs up HR- JNB ok for me

Originally Posted by greg999
I recently spent two nights at the hyatt in Johannesburg one week apart. I had booked an airport pickup using the E - concierge. Both times the airport pickup didn't show up. After the first no show I personally confirmed the pick up with the desk. After the second no show they set up wine and fruit and offered a free airport transfer as an apology, but beware to those expecting the airport pickup to work seemlessly.
I will post a recent update to this thread. Just stayed 1 night at the HR - JNB on Jan 16. Booked transport from OR Tambo thru the e-concierge and the guy was waiting right at arrivals with the Hyatt sign with my name on it - so I guess they have improved on this service....the only problem was on check-out, they charged me 200 R more for the transport (595 instead of 395). Said the "class" of car I booked was no longer available. They reduced it back to 395 but the guy said beware for next time...I suggested THEY fix the web-site to reflect it!!!

My room was redeemed from FFN award so can't comment on the room rates.

Upgraded to RC level, but not offered Diamond amenity (didn't even think to ask as this now seems typical for Int'l stays). Room was very nice, everything I would expect from a Hyatt....didn't use computer or wireless so I can't comment on that.

I thought the evening spread was ok, again no warm foods, typical club selection of cheese, meats, etc. Again not outstanding, not bad - just average. No problem with as many drinks as I wanted. Same with breakfast.

All in all I will definitely stay again on my next pass thru JNB.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:07 am

i am currently inhouse for one night.
Nice room nice bathroom amenities wifi free in the lounge and very fast. its tuesday so GM cocktail party, he came around and said hello very french. very CUTE!!!
Id stay there again.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:03 am

Hyatt Johannesburg

I am planing a short trip to jnb. I am looking at staying at the Hyatt jnb regency club rooms.
Anybody have any experience with the above hotel, room?
Old May 2, 2010, 12:00 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
anyone planning to stay for the worldcup ? do you know if they will offer services to/from stadiums?

experiences with nearby tours, etc?

thanks
Old May 10, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Originally Posted by wpj
anyone planning to stay for the worldcup ? do you know if they will offer services to/from stadiums?

experiences with nearby tours, etc?

thanks
Staying at the property right now...no idea as far as tours are concerned, but to/from stadiums you can use their (pricey !) limousines. Theoretically there would be the train leaving right from the hotel, but the construction looks like they may not make it in time.

Overall, the hotel has done some updating (Spa) but not too impressive overall. I find it way too expensive (hyatt.com rates) for what it offers. Some examples:

- rooms/bathrooms getting old, shower door does not close properly, old shower head with low pressure and water all over the place

- spa/fitness renovated, but many small things not working (sauna too cold, whirpool burning hot, plunge pool luke warm)

- RC offering mediocre at best
Old May 10, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I was going to stay here last month, but just couldn't justify the $300 or so a night they wanted.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Just another stay, no major changes. Usual upgrade to club King, with amenity bottle of wine (different sort, but comparable quality).

It is now possible to take the train from the airport to Sandton (15min only !) which costs ZAR 100 (+10 for the card). Then from Sandton either taxi or hotel pickup. It is quicker and costs less than half compared to the hotel limousine...but might be a hassle with a lot of luggage. The Rosebank station near the hotel is supposed to open later this year, but from the airport changing trains will be required.

One disappointment on my last stay: A colleague had forgotten to cancel his reservation, and they asked if I was willing to pay the cnx of 1 night on his behalf. I agreed under the condition that they credit me the night and the points. They confirmed several times they would do this, but now the credit did not come through. Sent them an email with no reaction. I am not sure if I would have been entitled, but must say I am a bit disappointed...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB PLAT, TK ELPL, HYATT GLOB, HILTON DIAM, IHG SPIRE EL
Stayed there recently. Even though the room rates are pretty high at ~ $300+, it should be noted that the Hyatt JNB is only a Cat. 2 property (similar to the situation with the GH Santiago). Whoever is staying there on a non-business trip should therefore consider using 8000 GP points or a stay cert.

Opted for the modern and tightly secured (an armada of security folks and cameras monitors your every move) Gautrain from JNB airport to get there. At ZAR115 one-way (+ 10 if you don't have a Gold Card already) it is an inexpensive and convenient way to reach the Hyatt: change trains at Sandton and travel one station further to Rosebank. The Hyatt is a quick 1-2 minute walk away from Rosebank station (right next to a big shopping mall, the Holiday Inn, and a Courtyard property).

Can say only positive things about the hotel staff - everything went perfectly smooth and everyone I dealt with was competent, eager to help and extraordinarily polite as well.

They can organize a plethora of moderately priced sightseeing tours for you. Just ask the concierge or submit a request through the e-concierge service.

Was given a normal garden view room on the 7th floor as the club levels were closed for renovation or some other reason. I prefer the garden view rooms over the ones facing the street as they tend to be quieter and have larger windows that can be opened. The rooms are generally nice and carefully maintained. The clever use of mirrors makes the standard room, especially the bathroom appear more spacious.

No Diamond Amenity/welcome letter though and when I asked why they didn't provide these perks, I was told that the club staff usually handles these things. Obviously, that task was not re-assigned during the club closure and it remained impossible to provide any amenity. This did occur to me as rather unprofessional.

Pool and gym are in an annex connected to the hotel by an indoor bridge on the 6th floor. I liked both facilities.

Breakfast was really great and staff was quite attentive.

One thing that seemed like a serious safety risk to me was the scalding hot tap water (at least 160 °F). If you accidentally turn the wrong faucet handle (or just turn it up too quickly) when taking a shower or simply wash your hands, you would suffer burns in a matter of seconds. The latter almost happened to me once. My hand hurt only for a minute but looked like a boiled lobster for about half an hour even though I retracted it in a split-second.
Thinking of children, this is not a small issue. I will write the GM about this - normally the hot water temperature should be lower or appliances have to be used that require users to depress a small safety button if water temperatures in excess of ~ 100 °F are required.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Just finished a one night stay there and it was fantastic.

Perhaps I was in a recently remodeled room as everything was very fresh and tasteful. The lounge had hot items at evening snacks and was quite good, as was breakfast.

I arranged for a floral bouquet to surprise my wife and it was absolutely stunning. The staff was uniformly excellent.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I have stayed now three times as a Diamond in the last month in the Hyatt Regency Johannesburg, total of 5 nights.

This hotel has some nice things (property, restaurants) but in my experience, the service level is not up to the standard expected for a hotel of this category. I have experienced instances of bad service every single stay.

The hotel is attached to the Rosebank Mall, about 10 minutes drive from Sandton (an 'upscale' suburb of Johannesburg) and 15-20 minutes from Jozi's CBD. The views are not great, but being close the mall is quite convenient, with a restaurant area, shops, etc.

Rooms are distributed in 9 floors, with the top 8th and 9th floor being club rooms with access to the club lounge. As far as I can tell, all rooms are the same, even those in the lower floors: they are quite spacious, decoration is sober but elegant; the bathroom has a shower and a bathtub in a black marble floor and sink top, with branded amenities. The bed is quite comfortable and lighting is good for leisure and also for work with a convenient desk and 'office' chairs.

Half of the rooms are facing the interior 'garden' area with a bar in the middle, the other half overlook the road in front with a more open view on the Johannesburg area. I am easily disturbed by noise and the interior rooms are much much better than those facing the road. Having said that, the hotel has a problem with noise: from rooms close to power generators buzzing throughout the night, to others close to what sounds like a laundry area - I have been in 5 rooms overall, only one was truly silent.

The lobby area with a restaurant and bar area look great: spacious, comfortable. I have only ordered room service and the quality was quite good, I assume the restaurant is a good option for lunch/dinner. The club lounge is quite functional but a bit small, with about 15 tables useful to work or sit. There's also a couple of sofas with magazines and a TV. They serve a basic breakfast for the club floor; the breakfast in the restaurant area is much much better though.

There is a smallish pool on one of the terraces, close to a very nice looking Spa and a well equipped gym.

Overall rooms and the rest of the facilities are quite good.

Now the service: I can only define it as disappointing. I have been in other hotels of similar and lower category in the area, and this one is clearly the worse of the pack.

About half of the staff are attentive and friendly, but I have encountered too many cases of inefficiency and plain rudeness, which is worse. I believe there is a systemic problem when I have seen repeated cases of bad customer service.

Just three examples of what I mean: request a room change because it was noisy and I knew I would not sleep and be told nothing else available, only after insisting a lot was I offered a different (albeit just slightly better) room; after checking the new room, I was told (not asked) by the lady at reception to go down return the key from the previous room, she seemed surprised when I asked her to send someone up to pick it up for me; staff literally raising his voice at a colleague and me after requesting the staff at the club lounge to switch the TV channel (when there was no one else in the lounge); cleaning staff talking loudly on the corridor at 8am on a Saturday for several minutes (yes, they awoke me, and I decided to write this review...)

As a Diamond, I have been upgraded to club floors every time (one of the times I had to specifically request it), but beyond that the recognition is not existing (ie. I have not seen them go beyond standard low effort service for me). The welcome gift sometimes is offered, some other times it is not.

Overall: good property with a low quality customer experience and unfriendly service. It is a pity they do not fix this - reviews from 4-5 years ago already mention this problem.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:34 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I recently completed 2 stays here in both the Club rooms and the regular rooms.

The room sizes are identical, as are the furnishings.

I also experienced some indifferent service.

A full trip report is at this link for those considering a stay here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.