Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:21 pm
pdb

Thumbs up Package arrived today.

When the DHL package arrived, this afternoon, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was also quite impressed that the staff had taken the time to carefully bubble wrap the wallet/organizer and then rewrap. Since shipping cash is verboten, the kind Asst. to the GM was able to arrange a credit to one of the credit cards for the cash which--after reward and shipping fees--exceeded $1K.

Although the PHJ has previously received some bad press in this forum, I would hope and proffer that my experience was much more likely the rule than the exception.

Thank you PHJ staff and thank you Hyatt! ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I am glad to hear that we have a positive data point on the PHJ. I'd like to think the ruckus I raised spurred them to action, given that I made noise both here (and thus Julia read this) and at corporate, where I'm sure they cracked down, and better yet, the hotel responded positively.

Not always do you get rogue franchisees to fall in line (witness the HR Kowloon and the GH Singapore). On the other hand, neglecting security and safety is probably a bigger issue than not giving out diamond amenities and upgrades to self-righteous, nitpicky, beady-eyed, uptight road warriors like ourselves.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:06 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by bluewatersail
Would be interested in hearing your opinions about Park Hyatt in Johannesburg.
It is quite a nice hotel close to a mall. You need taxis to get to Sandton if you have meetings at Banks etc. Most business are in Sandton City, except for JPMorgan and some other Equity firms.

There are two other options:

The Westcliff, which is located on a cliff overlooking the Zoo, which offers free shuttle service to Sandton and Rosebank (Park Hyatt). Nice and conisdered the most exclusive hotel. Restaurant is a bit boring if you stay more than a few days (limited menue)

Then there is the Melrose (in Melrose Arch) very trendy area, good restaurants, and if you are into going to a gym, then you have access to the Virgin Active gym (VERY nice). You also need a taxi to go to Sadton. But next to the SAFEX.

If you hate going by taxi and oyu need to be in Sadton, then you can go to the Sheraton, or Micheangelo. both located in the middle of the business district.

PM me if oyu need to know more
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: SAA Gold/US2/Starwood Platinum
Hyatt

Stayed there last September for a night and it was really good. Attached to a great mall that is completely safe to wander around. Terrific concierge. It is about a ten minute drive to Sandton City which has more restaurants although there is a good steak place right in the Rosebank Mall. I wuldn't walk around the actual streets around the hotel.
Not sure what Sheraton the other poster is referring to as the only Sheraton in the Joburg area is in Pretoria!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:58 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by Pickles
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134577

You take your chances with these clowns.
Completely understandable post given your horrible experience, there, and after reading your thread I strongly considered not staying there in 2004, but I did and stupidly left my large wallet/credit card organizer in the safe, but it was recovered by their housekeeping staff and returned to me money and credit cards intact. So definitely, YMMV.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326384
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
I stayed there a few months ago. I used to be a big fan of this property but indeed there still seems to be a management problem. I still like its location (next to Rosebank mall with its nice little cafes) and its health club. Wake up calls are performed with a choice of free tea, coffee or orange juice - I always enjoy that one. Be sure to fill and hang the card the night before !

They use to have the best Regency Club. Today it is very disappointing in terms of service and quality of the food. Food that needs to be pre-heated is not, cheap wine, noisy kitchen and door left open at all time...I made some suggestions to the management as this can easily be corrected.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Doesn't sound to be up to the PH standards but I would say that a good redemption value for 8K Hyatt points. I will probably stay there for two nights in July.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:12 pm

Perfectly nice hotel. Great buy for 8,000 points.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Stayed there last Sunday for one night using points. Was upgraded to a corner club room that was nicely furnished. The evening club spread was a bit disappointing but the breakfast was adequate.

BTW I had my award stay posting as a qualifying one as they sometimes do. ^
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by holtju2
Stayed there last Sunday for one night using points. Was upgraded to a corner club room that was nicely furnished. The evening club spread was a bit disappointing but the breakfast was adequate.

BTW I had my award stay posting as a qualifying one as they sometimes do. ^
The evening spread is very disappointing in RC - no more warm food ! Used to be one of the best RC
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:37 pm

We stayed there last month & thought it was a bit stuffy for our tastes. The RC staff seemed a bit snobby, and wanted to charge us for getting a second non-alcoholic drink! The food wasn't very good as it was just cold appetitzers & displayed nicely. Liked the free wireless & the rooms were nice for 8k.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by ben20
But: Who leaves his laptop unsupervised in a hotelroom in J'burg !?!!?!
i think the producer of the riverdance(?) got shot and killed a few years ago infront of his hotel (not sure which, he was in the old CBD or near theater area friends told me) as he was holding his laptop. However at PHJ (staying there 4 nights in December... maybe i should reconsider) I agree that this should not happen.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any comments on the RC and the health club? Is the RC open on weekends? What's the cheapest way to get there from the airport?
Old May 22, 2007, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any comments on the RC and the health club? Is the RC open on weekends? What's the cheapest way to get there from the airport?
The PH Johannesburg is a fairly modern (opened Jul 1994) property with 244 rooms (incl 15 suites) spread over 9 floors. It remined me of the Park Hyatt Melbourne.

The RC rooms are on floors 8 and 9 and the actual club room is on floor 9. The RC is large, well appointed but seemed (May 2007) to be somewhat sterile (no books, newspapers or PCs). There is a desk for the concierge - but it was not staffed at any time during my five day stay. The RC offers a very limited spread at breakfast which is the most "contienental breakfast" that I have ever encounted at a 4/5 star Hyatt. Staff are on hand to assist with beverages. If you elect to have breakfast in PHJ's Zaferano Restauant, a continental breakfast will cost you ZAR 110 and a full breakfast will cost you ZAR 139.

The evening spread starts at 1800 and while it looks extensive, the offerings consist of items such as: small sandwiches; peanuts, crisps, lots of cakes, crackers, several cheeses and maybe one very tiny hot item. Wine is available on a self-serve basis and all other drinks (incl beer) have to be requested. Never mind, the PHJ is a few minutes walk from an excellent mall with lots of places to eat and drink.

I would guess that the RC is open on weekends - but I am not sure. The RC is not among the best that I have visited and I would urge you not to pick the PHJ because of it.

The Fitness center is accessed via an air bridge the 6th floor and occupies the entile top floor of an adjacent building. It is well equipped and has everything that you would expect, including and outdoor pool, sauna/steam room and jacuzzi

The best way to get to the PHJ from the airport is to pre-book with one of the transper services. I have used the Airport Shuttle (ZAR 280 one way) and Magic Bus (ZAR 255 one way). For Magic Bus ([email protected]) you pre-pay with credit card and for the Airport Shuttle you pay the driver. The PHJ will charge you ZAR 295 in a Toyota abd ZAR 485 in a Mercedes.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks Bondiboy! Is there wifi in all rooms or just Regency Club rooms...I read somewhere that the lobby has free wifi though. Not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.