Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 21, 2015, 11:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone keeps saying the GHS location is better -- maybe, if they moved it to the bottom of that long hill! And when you reach the bottom of that hill, you are in Itaewon, which appears to be mainly a grubby entertainment district.

Of the two, I would take the PHS location right next to a subway stop in a flash.

It's the poor service I had last time at the PHS that was my biggest problem.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the major disadvantage was the lack of a real desk in my suite, just the small dining table. There was also a lack of convenient electrical outlets.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Everyone keeps saying the GHS location is better -- maybe, if they moved it to the bottom of that long hill! And when you reach the bottom of that hill, you are in Itaewon, which appears to be mainly a grubby entertainment district.

Of the two, I would take the PHS location right next to a subway stop in a flash.

It's the poor service I had last time at the PHS that was my biggest problem.
re: GH Seoul

The location is good for me because my business is in Yongsan. Handy too that you can drive anywhere in Seoul within 10-15 mins from GH. The highway is right there too.

I use taxis and there's always taxis in the Grand Hyatt Seoul driveway. Or my own POV and their parking lot is pretty spacious and good (non-holiday). Getting a taxi from PH Seoul is darn impossible and then you find yourself going the wrong way because of the way the roads are laid out. Taxis won't stop on that corner where PH Seoul is. It can take the groundstaff 10-15 mins to physically go and flag one down unless you use a call, mobum black taxi.

PH Seoul also has no underground parking and you must do valet. I detest valet. Then, having to pay 30,000 won for them to park it in an unshaded, outside lot next to the hotel is pants. I should be able to park it myself.

Then, there's the bad service and stuckup Gangnam attitude, sense of entitlement the staff there seem to have. The front desk has it bad. The spa front end staff too. My wife wrote her thoughts on her blog here: review of the Park Spa
Old May 22, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by Aventine
re: GH Seoul

The location is good for me because my business is in Yongsan. Handy too that you can drive anywhere in Seoul within 10-15 mins from GH. The highway is right there too.

I use taxis and there's always taxis in the Grand Hyatt Seoul driveway. Or my own POV and their parking lot is pretty spacious and good (non-holiday). Getting a taxi from PH Seoul is darn impossible and then you find yourself going the wrong way because of the way the roads are laid out. Taxis won't stop on that corner where PH Seoul is. It can take the groundstaff 10-15 mins to physically go and flag one down unless you use a call, mobum black taxi.

PH Seoul also has no underground parking and you must do valet. I detest valet. Then, having to pay 30,000 won for them to park it in an unshaded, outside lot next to the hotel is pants. I should be able to park it myself.

Then, there's the bad service and stuckup Gangnam attitude, sense of entitlement the staff there seem to have. The front desk has it bad. The spa front end staff too. My wife wrote her thoughts on her blog here: review of the Park Spa
Can't fault you for that because our needs for location are fundamentally different.

For me I prefer the PHS's location over the GHS. But I prefer the GHS hotel more than the PHS.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
For me I prefer the PHS's location over the GHS. But I prefer the GHS hotel more than the PHS.
Interesting. What is it about GH Seoul that you like so much? The building? F&B, Grand club or what?
Old May 22, 2015, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't like the GH at all, including it's location with really nothing walkable nearby. IME the doormen at the PH were always able to just motion for a taxi to pull up to the carriage entry: no waiting, although I didn't try this at rush hour. [The bigger problem with taxis was them not being able to find street addresses that seemed clear to me. Despite showing the driver the hotel's card and my stressing PARK Hyatt, one taxi crossed the river and tried to take me to the GH.]
Old May 22, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't like the GH at all, including it's location with really nothing walkable nearby. IME the doormen at the PH were always able to just motion for a taxi to pull up to the carriage entry: no waiting, although I didn't try this at rush hour. [The bigger problem with taxis was them not being able to find street addresses that seemed clear to me. Despite showing the driver the hotel's card and my stressing PARK Hyatt, one taxi crossed the river and tried to take me to the GH.]
the PH is very hard to find. Pretty non descript building and sign is hard to see from the road. Uncommon among the big 5 hotels that most taxi drivers know including Shilla, GH, Lotte, Westin Chosun, Walker Hill. They don't even know Conrad or JW Marriott Dongdaemun. it's hard to tell them landmarks too because there's nothing famous near there unless you want to be dropped off at COEX or the former KEPCO building.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:57 am

JW Dongdaemun I kinda understand, but I really struggle to believe that taxi drivers don't know where Conrad is, let alone Park Hyatt...
Old May 22, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
JW Dongdaemun I kinda understand, but I really struggle to believe that taxi drivers don't know where Conrad is, let alone Park Hyatt...
Some don't even know where IFC mall is. You can only get there by telling them Yeouido bus transfer center.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: MR Plat.
Did you goto the Timber House bar or lobby lounge?
I went to the Lobby Lounge, which was quite populated by locals.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:22 pm

Some don't even know where IFC mall is. You can only get there by telling them Yeouido bus transfer center.
That's definitely not my experience, but it will just be a case of YMMV I guess. Or I have just been lucky with my taxi drivers.

I mean, PH has been there for how many years now?
Old May 22, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
That's definitely not my experience, but it will just be a case of YMMV I guess. Or I have just been lucky with my taxi drivers.

I mean, PH has been there for how many years now?
They're not always the sharpest bunch in the drawer...
Old May 23, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Interesting. What is it about GH Seoul that you like so much? The building? F&B, Grand club or what?
-The ambiance in the lobby
-The outdoor pool and surrounding grounds area (was there in spring) was very enjoyable to just sit outside alone. I can't say if it is always so empty.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-The ambiance in the lobby
-The outdoor pool and surrounding grounds area (was there in spring) was very enjoyable to just sit outside alone. I can't say if it is always so empty.
It is a very nice walk across the bridge to Namsan when the cherry blossoms are out. Totally agree.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:57 am

If only you saw what the outdoor pool looked like during the summer peak! (For those unfamiliar, the GH is an extremely popular "staycation" spot and it is bursting at the seams for the entire summer)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.