Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2
To the best of my knowledge the floor plans for each floor are identical.
Some of the high floor plans are different than some of the lower floor plans.

Originally Posted by peteropny
xx08 is a very awkward cave-like room that does have quite a bit of square footage (no tub).
xx06 is a larger room but the tub doesn't have a view (I was in IIRC 306 once which was a room with two double beds and a huge balcony (1 of only 2 in the hotel I think).
Good room summary. Pretty much dead on. A couple additional observations from my stays there:

- You must have been in Rm. 307, which has 2 doubles and a good sized balcony, the same size balcony as Rm. 308.
- There are actually 3 "Terrace Rooms" in the hotel: 302, 307, 308. These rooms are called "Water Tower Rooms" by the hotel and are the 3 rooms with balconies at this hotel. You can see distinguish these rooms from outside the hotel as they are the only 3 rooms to have the green balcony "bars" when you look from the outside. Rm 302 has by far the biggest balcony, a huge wrap-around balcony that view both the Water Tower (North Michigan Ave) and the "American Girl" strore (Chicago Ave) directions. Rm. 302 also has a nice soaker tub with a window with great views of the Water Tower, whereas both 307/308 have separate tubs but no windows above the tub to look out of. Rms. 302/308 both have a King bed.
- The Water Tower is directly across from Rms. 307/308 if you want a direct view of the Water Tower.
-If you can't get a lower room with a view of the Water Tower, skip the mid level floors and go for a high floor so you can get a view of Lake Michigan. The mid level floors are too high to see the Water Tower but too low to see Lake Michigan.
- If you are Diamond, this is one place where you will want to skip the 1W amenity and go for the champaign or wine. Both are excellent (~$30 apiece retail) and I would also highly recommend the chocolate covered strawberries. Delicious!!
-I'd highly recommend Rm 302 if I had to pick any room at this hotel (Pres. Suite type rooms excepted of course)....
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I just looked again at my confirmation and see that I am confirmed for "west city view, king bed 550 sq. feet, floors 8-18. Does this sound good?
Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I just looked again at my confirmation and see that I am confirmed for "west city view, king bed 550 sq. feet, floors 8-18. Does this sound good?
Thanks
Try for "east" Water Tower / Lake view on check-in.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanks
Nope, these are the bad (well, I should probably say worse view, not bad) rooms. You want an East (Lake/Water Tower) view. If you have any status with Hyatt and you booked into that room for the lower price, they may upgrade you to a better room via 1-800-CHECKIN or else at the check-in desk.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

What is the daily charge for internet access?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the daily charge for internet access?
Not sure, but they have two free computers with Internet for guest use just past the front desk.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm going to be using 1-800-CHECKIN for an upcoming stay. I see by the above posts that good rooms include 1004 and 1204. Bad rooms include 608 and 1208. I assume that rooms ending in 04 are good and rooms ending in 08 are bad. Are there any other rooms known to be good or bad?

I'm going to be staying at the hotel at the same time as one of the moderators of this forum. So just whisper your best tips in my ear.
Well I think you got one of the Water Tower / Lake view rooms I didn't And as usual, this property's inept service with rooms leaves a lot to be desired. I did the 800-checkin and was assigned 1714 (west city view - with a promise to be put on the potential "upgrade" list), upon arrival 5 hours later, I'm put in 1515 (same view - 2 floors lower - and from the floor map slightly smaller). Why can't this hotel get their act together
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:22 am

I got a better room than the Hyatt forum moderator.

Still, it was all very odd. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with 1-800-CHECKIN, as they conferred back and forth with the hotel and me. Eventually, I was assigned 804. When I got to the hotel, I was told I was upgraded - to 908. You can imagine how I reacted to getting one of the dreaded xx08 rooms! I couldn't extract any explanation as to how they could give away the room into which I had been checked.

Ultimately, since I refused to accept 908 (despite the desk clerk assuring me it was a lovely room and one in which he personally liked to stay) I was given a wonderful rom, xx06 - looking straight at the Water Tower and beyond to the lake.

I am bemused about the room problem. Never once did the desk clerk explain or apologize.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I cannot remember the room we were assigned at this hotel, but I can tell you, it was nice to be able to see the lake from the tub. I could definitely stay in that room again.

How is FFN availbility working for this hotel? I haven't even tried looking, but me thinks it is a good use of FFNs this winter.

lala
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
I cannot remember the room we were assigned at this hotel, but I can tell you, it was nice to be able to see the lake from the tub. I could definitely stay in that room again.

How is FFN availbility working for this hotel? I haven't even tried looking, but me thinks it is a good use of FFNs this winter.

lala
Well you weren't in xx08 since that doesn't have a tub.

Not sure about FFN availability right now but we had "pre-reserved" these before FFN was announced.

Anyways, I had another less than satisfying stay. In addition to the odd room change from 1714 assigned at check-in to 1515, last night they did about a 1/4 turndown service - only the window shades were lowered with neither the room nor the bathroom "refreshed".

Why can't this hotel get their act together
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:45 pm

I loved this hotel, despite some very quirky service issues. It's got such great "bones", that the satisfaction with my stay survived a few hiccups.

What I like:
  • It's a relatively small property, so has an intimate feel
  • The room views east, over Michigan Avenue, the Water Tower, and to the lake are spectacular
  • I loved both the window seat and the comfortable seat with foot stool.
  • We were offered the hotel car to take us to dinner as it was available when we came in search of a taxi.
  • There were 2 free computers just off the lobby.
  • NoMi had good breakfasts. Both the grapefruit juice and the orange juice were fresh squeezed. Eggs benedict were made with lobster. The tea was actually made with tea leaves.
  • The location is superb, in the heart of many shopping and restaurant choices.
  • Diamond amenity: chocolate dipped strawberries. Enough said.
  • I liked being able to look outside from the bathroom.
  • I didn't use them - but candles by the tub was a cool amenity.

I've stayed in a lot of Chicago hotels - and this is now, by far, my favorite. Thank you, peteropny, for encouraging me to stay here.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 3, 2005 at 4:48 pm
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I also loved the hotel, although I did not score a good view. My room was very well designed and I did use the candles while soaking in that really deep and great bathtub. Very decadent, indeed. Best of all, I arrived at the hotel after 10:00 PM and was starving; having traveled in economy on DL from LAX with a connection in ATL. Went to the very attractive NOMI bar which happily offered a good selection of food. A good martini, a club sandwich and I immediately forgot about the miserable flights. I also liked the fact that the soaps did not have to be unwrapped...a nice touch. BTW, the bed linens are by Frette, which is probably why I slept 11 hours one night.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I love the PH Chicago and stay there with my lady whenever I can.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Just re-read your post and saw your mention of the private car service. I haven't used that at the PH Chicago.

Could you share more details about the private car?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by bsdstone
My wife and I stay here quite often for weekends in Chicago...despite one bad experience at NOMI (not Nimo :-)), we have been back over a dozen times...we tend to like the more modern/contemporary hotels vs. the FS or the Ritz (FS hotel)...both seem a little worn, tired, and stuffy. To give you an idea of the level of service we get....of all those dozen stays only one night has been paid for, the rest have been on FFN's or points, and we still get upgrades, nice wine for diamond amenities, and take the private car service to all of our dinners, parties, etc. When we had our bad experience at Nomi, I wrote a letter to the general manager, and he not only comped me a room for a return stay (we didn't pay for the original night), he also comped us dinner for two at Nomi....I offered to pay for the wine (we got one of the cheaper bottles at $62), and they said it was all on the house...we did leave quite a healthy tip for the server!
All in all, I really like this hotel, the decor, the location, and the service....
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, all the others...
Park Hyatt Chicago Recommendations/Comments?

Am staying at the Park Hyatt in 2 weeks for 1 night. Currently have a Terrance King Water Tower Place View room booked for just over $400. Is it worth it? Do I need a terrace room? Have always wanted to stay there but read a lot of mixed reviews here, on the Hyatt Review Site as well as TripAdvisor. Some are glowing reviews, some aren't. Looking for a great room, good size & luxurious. Any advice about this property or other recommendations would be great...Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.