Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Hyatt NOT on Crystal City enclosed walkway system

Also stayed here in mid-October since Crystallized Marriotts were full......was surprised this major Hyattl was NOT part of the concourse system of shops and restaurants which connects most buildings in Crystal City. It was a rainy, windy day, so each minute outside counts --- here's a guide.

From the Metro station at 18th St South (along Crystal Drive), the enclosed walks head south through offices and shops and restaurants to 22nd or 23rd St -- including the Crystal City Marriott at 20th St and the Crystal Gateway Marriott at 19th St -- both easily walk-able from Metro station using the enclosed walkways.

The Hyatt front door is at 27th St and Crystal Drive, so there's a 4-5 block walk outdoors before reaching the enclosed concourse system. The Courtyard is across the street, further south of the Hyatt.

(here's a map from the Crystal City Central Planning Commission
http://crystalcity.com/_/File/_/crys..._site_plan.pdf

My stay on the rainy day was brightened by early check-in after a noonish landing at DCA.....and a corner Ambassador suite, with a cute triangular outdoor balcony, covered and with outdoor furniture. It was pleasant after the nearby noisy construction projects shut-down for the day. Indoor furniture was modern, almost "Hyatt Place"-like.

Free breakfast worked well with buffet in the main 2nd floor restaurant. Nice to have a breakfast area which is large enough for some morning privacy and quiet.

Shuttle to airport was running on-time and swiftly. Heard a few tourists complaining about wait for shuttle to/from Metro station.

(The Marriotts remain my favorite since they are much closer, walk-able to Metro station, and part of the enclosed walkway system.)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Similar reports from other Flyertalkers

Reliable Shuttle
Horrible Check-in service on a friday 10pm
10-15 people in the regular line, Platinum and Diamond Line unmanned
Flashed my Diamond card at the concierge and the manager took care of my check-in in the office.
Came out to apologize very quickly
Points/Amenitys, wake-up call and breakfast all explained within 30 seconds
and got upgraded to a 9th floor Ambassador Suite facing Crystal City
similar to the Tom911 pics
Got some light snack to go since breakfast wasn't open at 5:30am

Probably will stay here again if the opportunity arises
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:31 pm

Ambassador Suite

I am curious as to what the Ambassador Suite is like at the Hyatt Crystal City. Looking at the rates for my stay, it is 45 extra per night for my stay versus a regular King room. Is it worth the extra for the upgraded room?
Old May 1, 2011, 7:24 pm

I cannot say whether it is worth $45 to you, but it's basically a junior suite. There are two rooms. The main room has a sofa, desk, and television. The bedroom has a bed, dresser, closet, and television. The bathrooms are usually decent size, though some are set up so that the toilets or showers are in very odd positions. This comes from the fact that they are on the corners of the building and the building itself is a bit oddly shaped. They have a small balcony outside of the bedroom which was nice in good weather.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: AGR WOH
I've had pretty good experiences while mattress running here. The location's not ideal as far as Crystal City goes, but the interior and the staff make up for that.

A few more transportation options for Crystal City:
- The Crystal City Shops garages are free after 4PM (until..?) and all day on weekends; the nearest entrance is up on 23rd Street, two long blocks/four real blocks from the hotel.
- Capital Bikeshare stations are plentiful in the Crystal City-Pentagon City area. There's one by the employee entrance on Crystal Drive, near Starbucks; from there, you can go north to the Metro or restaurants on 23rd, south to Harris Teeter at Potomac Yards, or west to Pentagon City mall.
- Longer term bike rental is also available nearby at Revolution Cycles, a great option for a day trip to Mount Vernon, Alexandria, or DC via the Mount Vernon Trail along the Potomac.
- By 2013, a rapid bus line is supposed to begin operation along that wide grassy strip next to Crystal Drive.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
Just had a nice weekend stay and was updraded (for free) to a suite -- assuming Ambassador. Nice layout, comfortable room, and great rates on the weekend ($90 or so). Would definitely stay there again, although the walk to the metro is definitely not something I'd want to do in the rain/snow.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
HR Crystal City--Review with Check-In and Valet Complaints

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the HR in Crystal City. As previous reviewers have noted it is not attached to the "main drag" of Crystal City, but is further down in a cluster of Marriotts. Has shuttle service to both Reagan and to the Pentagon City Mall.

Hotel is in process of renovating its front drive = major chaos at arrival w/ construction going on. Hotel is valet only ($25 a night).

Check-In: I was able to score a very early check in (9 am) and was put in a Deluxe King Room (had only reserved a King room at the AAA rate) My wife had made the reservation in her name, called and had my name and GP # added to room so I could check in early. FD first couldn't find my name on the reservation, then couldn't find the GP number, and then told me I was only there for 1 night (when in fact I was there for 2), almost had to pull up the emailed itin to show her the check out date when she laughs and says "Oh I found it."

Room: overall the room (#803) was nice and quite large, not your typical Hyatt bed but still comfortable. Room layout worked well for me needing to spend the day with my laptops out on the work desk while my wife could lounge on the couch and work from there. Furnishings were modern. However there was a fairly visible red stain on the carpet in front of the couch and the bathroom was decidedly tiny with an extremely small vanity. I did appreciate the glassed shower.

Gym: nice assortment of cardio equip--not busy at 10 am on a Saturday morning. Plenty of towels (inc. my personal favorite--the chilled ones). Access to pool can be had through the gym or another door off hallway. (Pool was closed for season and though not large is workable.

The hotel is popular with conventions and tour buses--so be warned. Lobby is consistently full of people arriving and leaving. Check in and Check out can be lengthy--waited in line for 15 minutes to check out on Sunday with no option of standing in the Platinum/Diamond line b/c there was no one working the station.

Major Complaint--VALET Services. Saturday night, needed a cab to a black tie event. Went downstairs to valet stand at 6 PM to see 3 busses in the process of unloading and a valet staff completely stretched thin. Finally got the attention of the valet (after 5 minutes) and requested a cab--seeing 2 people in black tie attire must not have clued him in that we weren't coming off the bus...fast forward to 6:25 PM still no cab. Basically were given the run around by 3 different valets about whether or not they had called different cab companies or not. Finally hailed a cab coming down the street (not one that had been called for us.) Needless to say the 25 minutes spent waiting for a cab that should have taken 5 given the proximity to the airport caused us to miss the wedding ceremony we were on the way to.

Sunday morning our issues with the valet continued. Were told to call the valet 5 to 10 minutes before leaving so that our car can be brought up. Totally understandable. Tried to call the valet--four times within 10 minutes no answer whatsoever. Carry bags down to lobby, wait in line to check out as wife goes to Valet to get car. Wife brings up the phone issue and is given a curt reply, "well we have a busy check out today" and an "if you have a problem I can get the manager." Then wait another 10 minutes to get the car.

Am wondering if it is worth it to call and complain to GP about the valet and room issues for some points or just let it go.

Overall: the hotel offers a good value if you watch the rates and the rooms are for the most part clean and spacious. Would avoid if you are going to be coming in and out of the hotel frequently and pulling your car out of the valet given the reasons listed above. Also if you need a cab make sure to give yourself plenty of extra time bc there are not or were not cabs waiting or nearby when we were there on the weekend.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:02 pm

Stayed there one night on the 19th. Staff was very friendly and efficient, from reception to the restaurant to the valet. We used points for the room and received a suite upgrade, extra 1000 points, and free breakfast for being Diamond members. This is a great option if using points to stay in DC.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
Just had a nice weekend stay and was updraded (for free) to a suite -- assuming Ambassador. Nice layout, comfortable room, and great rates on the weekend ($90 or so). Would definitely stay there again, although the walk to the metro is definitely not something I'd want to do in the rain/snow.
This hotel is one of the better ones for Diamond upgrades. Upgrades to Ambassador Suites are frequent, especially on weekends.

They have a shuttle bus that goes to/from the Crystal City metro stop and they also go to/from the National Airport which has a metro stop there too. When there's undesirable weather, it may be nicer to use the airport metro stop at least to get picked up for return to the hotel. On leaving from the hotel to take the metro, the Crystal City metro stop may be considered better because it's underground and doesn't have exposure to outdoor weather elements the way the DCA metro stop does.

If needing a cab, I just call up one of the major Arlington taxi companies. They are pretty reliable with timings and will call me on my phone when they reach the hotel or are about to. Otherwise the hotel can sometimes be too busy (even on weekends) with convention-like groups to count on a taxi from the hotel not being taken by someone else.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum/Hilton Gold/Delta FO
Mrs. Epaminondas and I stayed here last Friday night. Didn't spend much time here, as our flight landed around midnight and we had to leave again at 9 the next morning, but we were impressed with what we saw. There was no line at the check-in kiosks (as befits the late hour), so we were able to get our keys and zip up to our room. The room was large and comfortable, as was the bed. As other commenters have noted, the bathrooms are a little small, but the rain shower made up for that. Not sure I would want to stay here for a long D.C. trip since it is a ways away from the closest Metro stop, but it worked well for our purposes. The small cafe selling coffee and bagels in the morning was a much-appreciated plus.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat
Stayed here for a few days last week and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had a room on the 17th floor, which was very nice and completely quiet. Not having any status, I took the "business plan" upgrade, for $19 per night which provided internet, breakfast, a daily bottle of water, shirt pressing and some other perks. Since the internet was $13 alone, this was more than worth it for me.

The breakfast buffet was really wonderful - hot dishes, fruit, an omelet station, great muffins and danishes.

Also a very nice workout room, with a good selection of free weights and several cardio machines.

As others have mentioned, there is a shuttle which makes a loop to the airport and the metro station. If the weather is nice, though, the metro is only about a 15 to 20 minute walk, mostly past lots of restaurants and shops. So, I didn't mind that. You can also take the metro to the airport and catch the shuttle there, without having to go outside at all if the weather is bad.

I would definitely stay again. ^
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Does this property has Club lounge for Diamond members?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:38 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Does this property has Club lounge for Diamond members?
No ...
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Stayed here Thursday night. Was in a '59 room, which is a triangular shaped, deluxe king room, no balcony.

Hotel is nice as rooms are fresh with nice decor. Breakfast buffet was great. Staff was very friendly.

Shuttles seemed to be running on time. The airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 4:40am.

The hotel is a bit of a walk from the Metro, but the shuttles make up for that. There are also a few good restaurants in.walking distance. I went to Kora, which is on the Rewards Network plan.

There were a lot of families, and the only issue that I had was that the family across the hall could not seem to stay in their room at midnight. They went in and out, letting the door slam each and every time.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was in a 59 room the week before. The 62 and 00 rooms are a little nicer, but the 59 and 03 are fine for one night, although the bathrooms in the 59 are abnormally tiny for the rest of the size of the room - they'd have been better off making the bathroom a little bigger and moving the desk towards the windows to compensate.

I have to call on Monday and politely yell at them, however, because they added my breakfast back on to the bill - I think it's because I checked out directly after breakfast, and the restaurant didn't add the charge until later. I much preferred the old way of coupons, but I suspect there was a lot of extra reuse of them with coworkers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.