Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Fairfax (Fair Lakes) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Fairfax (Fair Lakes) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:13 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
just did my quick weekend in and out... got 1201 one of the panoramic rooms. They have done the renovation to these rooms, new bed, chair and sofa. Lamps, Herman Miller desk chair, marble bath surround has been completely re-done and curved shower curtain installed. The bath wallpaper has also been re-done and new carpet throughout, tho the stripe design isnt that great in my opinion. Sorry I forgot my camera or I'd have got some pics. Will be back there again next weekend, FFN's start!! I'll see if I can get some then.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Hate to tell you this but got the Prez suite at IAD -- nice but nothing truly spectacular
They obviously like you better
My general travel pattern to DC area is to take a mid-afternoon flight from SFO and arrive very late (often after midnight). I usually just sleep for a few hours at Hyatt IAD, and I'm on my way. Any sort of upgrade would be "wasted" anyway. At least every few stays, there's chocolate covered strawberries and a mini bottle of Grand Marnier waiting for me.

For those of you that are like me and don't generally eat breakfast, or are in a rush, you can also use your breakfast coupons at the coffee stands close to the front desk at both IAD and Fair Lakes. Their pastries are decent. I usually grab a Latte for myself and several chocolate croissants to bring back home for wife and chocoholic daughter (who absolutely love them, and don't mind them being a day or two old by the time I get back home).
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
what exactly is a suite upgrade at the fair lakes property?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:35 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
not much of anything... I got the UG earlier this summer... it's a regular room connected to sort of a hospitality suite room with a kitchen, small round table and sofa. Its shown as the skyline suite on the FL web site... i'd prefer one of the junior suites at IAD over the one at FL any day.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
what exactly is a suite upgrade at the fair lakes property?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:09 pm
Suspended

New reviews please?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
New reviews please?
I stayed there a few times in the past year. If you're a Diamond, request one of the very large rooms at the end, quite comfortable. Otherwise it's just another suburban hotel near just another suburban shopping mall.

Food in the restaurant quite lackluster, as was the service.

There's a Marriott a few miles away that really isn't any better, stayed there a couple of times as well.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
I just stayed here this past weekend, and I'm pretty much in agreement with howard-socal. I was given one of the rooms on the end, which are called Panoramic Suites. The size of the room was great. The view consisted of Route 66 and Dulles airport, and you can see some planes flying in, which I personally like. It appeared as though they had tried to makeover the decor, but it still wasn't very impressive. The furniture looked old and worn.

I booked the Summer Getaway rate with free breakfast and, after a 20 minute wait to get a table (I guess this is to be expected on a Labor Day weekend though ), the service was awful and it took about 10 minutes to get cream for my coffee, which was difficult to understand given that most people were opting for the breakfast buffet. The restaurant staff just seemed very disorganized in general. I wasn't about to risk having lunch or dinner there.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Thanks! I think I will still choose it as it is still one of the least expensive Hyatt properties in the DC area with the AAA breakfast promotion that continues till 9/30/07, and it is a bit closer to DCA than the other Dulles area properties, as the wife flies back to NYC from DCA.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
Thanks! I think I will still choose it as it is still one of the least expensive Hyatt properties in the DC area with the AAA breakfast promotion that continues till 9/30/07, and it is a bit closer to DCA than the other Dulles area properties, as the wife flies back to NYC from DCA.
You're probably aware of this, and I haven't stayed there yet, but the Hyatt Place Dulles South, which is right near the Hyatt Fair Lakes in Chantilly, is also open now, and their AAA rate is $80.00, which is a great deal, especially since it seems like Fair Lakes' normal AAA rate is $89.00. If the Summer Getaway promo hadn't been available this past weekend, I may have stayed there instead.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sassable
You're probably aware of this, and I haven't stayed there yet, but the Hyatt Place Dulles South, which is right near the Hyatt Fair Lakes in Chantilly, is also open now, and their AAA rate is $80.00, which is a great deal, especially since it seems like Fair Lakes' normal AAA rate is $89.00. If the Summer Getaway promo hadn't been available this past weekend, I may have stayed there instead.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It is very strange, but if you put in Washington, DC as your destination, the Hyatt Place Dulles South location is the only one that does not appear!!

Now, I will have to do some sleuthing as to its exact location vis a vis DCA, and its reviews on tripadvisor -- if any -- but the only annecdote I had was that the Dulles North location kept on saying that they had people coming to its location from that hotel supposedly because of a very rude front desk agent.

So Caveat Emptor but if the location and reviews are decent, i can't beat a AAA weekend price of $71.00!! ^

Tripadvisor still lists it under the Amerisuites Dulles South. The only recent review of the property post-renovation is encouraging. I think I will go for it at the end of this month.

If anyone stays there earlier, please post a review under a separate posting!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Sep 6, 2007 at 4:11 pm
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:24 pm

for the record, you CAN beat the AAA rate of $71. the hyatt place in sterling is like $61 or $63.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:39 pm
IADSIN

Hyatt/Fair Lakes is one of the lowest cost regular Hyatt hotels in metro DC. It is only a few miles south of Hyatt/Dulles and has a nearly identical building, but a consistently lower room rate. Either Hyatt/Fair Lakes or Hyatt/Dulles is MUCH cheaper than Hyatt Regency Reston during the work week.

At weekends, Fair Lakes, Dulles, and Reston all have much lower room rates than during the work week. For a weekend stay, the Hyatt Regency Reston is more interesting because it is directly at Reston downtown and there is much more within walking distance.

I stayed at Hyatt Fair Lakes recently on 12th floor. The room had updated furniture, pillows, and bed linens, but still has the original old analogue TV set. The coffee bar in the lobby is convenient, and serves good coffee, but the coffee bar is only open until mid-morning. I wish they would keep it open for more hours.

The restaurant was pricey, so I went elsewhere instead. There are lots of better restaurant options within a 5 minute drive in the Fair Lakes area.

I was happy with the check-in/check-out process and also with the room service (I was there more than 1 night).

Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Which IAD Hyatt is Most Convenient to Take the Metro Line?

I'm planning to fly into Dulles and stay at a Hyatt near the airport that evening. The next evening I will be staying in Grand Hyatt Washington DC.

Is there a Hyatt or Hyatt Place located near/or is convenient to getting to the Metro line? If not...would the best option be to go back to the airport and catch a Super Shuttle to the Grand Hyatt? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:38 pm

There is a cheaper way if you have the time... Washington Flyer bus to Rosslyn Metro or L'Enfant Plaza Metro Stations and then take Metro to Metro Center where the GH is located.

More info here...

Originally Posted by lswcih
I'm planning to fly into Dulles and stay at a Hyatt near the airport that evening. The next evening I will be staying in Grand Hyatt Washington DC.

Is there a Hyatt or Hyatt Place located near/or is convenient to getting to the Metro line? If not...would the best option be to go back to the airport and catch a Super Shuttle to the Grand Hyatt? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Searching around DC area for cheap rates on Memorial Day monday (out Tuesday) and came up with a AAA rate of $59.00 (A.I. FOR $64.00!!!) at this property.

Tripadvisor reviews report in addition to updated rooms -- noted above -- that now flat panel TVs are in the rooms!

Comp shuttle service to metro stop makes this a winner.

You can check for when the AAA rate is also available -- likely prior to the above date, as well.

Enjoy!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 17, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.