Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How to increase the price of a room service item by 118%

Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M

Menu item (e.g. small piece of pizza for child)- $3.00
Delivery Charge - $2.50
19 % Gratuity 1.05

Total = $6.45 for a $3 slice of pizza.

I am not concerned about paying $6.45 for a piece of pizza via room service as it is convenient, but:

1) I pay 19% gratuity even if it takes 45 minutes or longer (which it often does)
2) I pay the 19% gratuity on the delivery charge as well.

I know it is trivial, but it peeves me.

I also object to the gratuity on an inflated room service dinner that takes an hour to arrive. (I know it isn't the server's fault, which is why I never actually complain about it.)
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
And you run the risk that it is cold or otherwise not prepared the way you'd like.

Any more I go to the restaurant and get it to go. Saves the tip, save the delivery charge and gives me a chance to have a cocktail.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
One thing I like about Hyatt Room Service is they are speed-demons. I swear I'm hanging up the phone from placing my order and they're knocking on my door.

I find I do room service much more nowadays (even as a leisure traveller) because it's faster then the restaurant. If I want a nice sit-down multi-course dinner, I will do the restaurant, but usually it's early morning or after a full day of museum-hopping and I just want to watch a DVD or surf FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
One thing I like about Hyatt Room Service is they are speed-demons. I swear I'm hanging up the phone from placing my order and they're knocking on my door.
You must be visiting different locations than I am. Most of my travel is along the east coast these days, and I can't recall a time this year where it took less than 30 minutes. Even the estimates of delivery time have increased from 30 minutes to 35 or 40 minutes.

I think I will just start complaining more when it takes longer than the estimate (as it usually does.) I will likely get the meal for free.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I've had to wait 30 minutes for a salad before. I think the quickest it has been was 20 minutes for ice cream and water.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
[QUOTE=divaof travel]You must be visiting different locations than I am.[QUOTE]

Could be. Might be when I order, as well (I usually order breakfast around 6am and dinner around 8-9pm and almost always on weekends). But Grand Hyatt Seattle, Grand Hyatt Washington, Crystal City Hyatt, Baltimore Hyatt, and Bellevue Hyatt were all usually within fifteen minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.