Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Frustrating call center experience [edited]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

I called Hyatt to get information on my reservation in Bangkok. I am not sure where in the world I was speaking to but I kept saying I only wanted information and DO NOT CHANGE IT. He said he would transfer me to the hotel to make the change. Again, DO NOT CHNAGE IT. He said he would change it, again DO NOT CHANGE IT. I hung up before he did anything

Is there any way to speak to someone in the US who understands English? This is very frustrating and scary.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The non-US call center agents are usually as helpful - if not more helpful - than the US based agents.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I called Hyatt to get information on my reservation in Bangkok. I am not sure where in the world I was speaking to but I kept saying I only wanted information and DO NOT CHANGE IT. He said he would transfer me to the hotel to make the change. Again, DO NOT CHNAGE IT. He said he would change it, again DO NOT CHANGE IT. I hung up before he did anything

Is there any way to speak to someone in the US who understands English? This is very frustrating and scary.
What info were you seeking?

(doesn’t change the fact that the agent couldn’t communicate well with you but just curious)
Old May 22, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not sure what "information" you needed, but there's practically nothing a phone agent can say that isn't published on the Hyatt website...

There's even less information that a phone agent can provide that the hive on FT haven't come across before. All you need to do is query within the hotel-specific thread.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Other thing to add - If you're just asking for information about reservations, their Twitter support is great (and you don't need to wait on hold).
Old May 22, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Not sure what is "scary" here, but what "information on your reservation" do you expect an agent at Hyatt central reservations to have that is not on the reservation itself? They offered to transfer you to the hotel, even if they said to "make a change" you could have then asked the hotel your question.
wrldwide1 and IggySD like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why is this even a thread?

If you get an agent who doesn't seem to understand you, thank them then hang up and call again. This is pretty basic. It holds with any cs interaction, nothing to do with Hyatt.
Old May 22, 2023, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I wanted to drop one night and I wanted to see if they could just drop it or reprice the whole reservation. My problem was I kept saying DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE and the agent kept saying I WILL MAKE THE CHANGE. I did this three times. It was not the information that was the problem, it was we were saying exact opposite things. He did not listen to DO NOT CHANGE.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:10 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I wanted to drop one night and I wanted to see if they could just drop it or reprice the whole reservation. My problem was I kept saying DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE and the agent kept saying I WILL MAKE THE CHANGE. I did this three times. It was not the information that was the problem, it was we were saying exact opposite things. He did not listen to DO NOT CHANGE.
Just call the hotel directly then?
Old May 22, 2023, 9:59 am

I dunno, seems to me like you wanted to....make a change to a reservation.

I thought they said they would transfer you to the hotel to make the change--which quite clearly, to me, suggests the agent himself WAS NOT MAKING THE CHANGE.

I'll be honest, I have been speaking English my entire life and if someone called asking if they could drop one night of a reservation, I'm not sure what "information" I could provide them other than (1) changing the reservation, (2) modifying it in the system to see what the changed price would be and not confirming the change, or (3) transferring them to the hotel. And if someone was yelling at me "DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE" over and over again while failing to be clear what it is they wanted other than what they seemed to be asking for...

Either way, seems unnecessarily inflammatory to start a thread "THEY" do not understand English, when ONE person maybe just didnt understand what YOU were ASKING for.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I started the entire conversation by saying, "I do not want to make a change at this time, I ONLY want INFORMATION". He took it to trying to change it. I think that is different than saying to make a change in any form.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I started the entire conversation by saying, "I do not want to make a change at this time, I ONLY want INFORMATION". He took it to trying to change it. I think that is different than saying to make a change in any form.
So why not just ask via Twitter?
Old May 22, 2023, 1:27 pm

As has been asked several times, what INFORMATION did you want here when you called asking about whether it was possible to make a CHANGE to your reservation?
To know whether it was possible to CHANGE a reservation in the abstract? The answer is yes. Or how much a specific CHANGE would be? Probably requires pricing the CHANGE.
If the latter, and he said he would transfer you to the hotel "to make the change," it seems pretty clear he was not making any change, and that he could not provide the INFORMATION you were demanding.

Your reservation wasnt changed. You got some INFORMATION. And you could have gotten more INFORMATION from the hotel he kindly offered to transfer you to.
Any CONFUSION about what you WANTED may not be due to inadequate English proficiency, and seems unworthy of getting upset or starting a thread about.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
After your call, when you most certainly checked your reservation, were there any changes made? Inquiring minds want to know!
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.